Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6

Old Feb 1, 2013, 01:53 PM   #1
Mad Mac Maniac
macrumors 68040

How long do you expect Siri to be in Beta?

Siri is one of the longest-running, and certainly the most featured/advertised, betas that Apple has ever released to the public.

This is much more of a Google move than an Apple one. How much longer do you predict Siri will be in beta. By October of this year (at the latest) all iOS devices sold will come with Siri. Plus there have been thoughts/rumors that Siri will make her way to the Mac with 10.9.

I know "Beta" is just a label, and removing the word will add no functionality to the service, but I'm just wondering what specifically Apple is waiting for? Is it waiting till it's 100% reliable? Till it has an API released to Devs? Till it is across all platforms (Mac, iOS, including Apple TV)? Till its released is enough countries/languages? I get the feeling that the day Apple removes the "Beta" from Siri is the day that we understand the real future that Apple sees in Siri.
Apple TV owner since 2012 | Apple Watch owner since 2016 (anticipated)
Mad Mac Maniac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 03:01 PM   #2
VulchR
macrumors 68000

Perhaps when full, comprehensive services are available internationally rather than just the US. Judging form the rather incomplete and inaccurate state of iOS maps here in Scotland, it might be awhile. Certainly corrections to iOS Maps errors in my area do not seem to be a priority for Apple or its partners. Also, I wonder if Siri will be considered a final version when the voice recognition is done locally on the iPhone rather than over a network.

In this regard, I get the impression that Apple's attention flits from feature to feature, and that nobody seems to be pushing for a holistic notion of quality control. I suspect that Apple has only an A-team of programmers who are spread too thin, when a perfectly good B-team could tidy up some of the minor errors.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 03:20 PM   #3
bonskovsky
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mac Maniac View Post
Siri is one of the longest-running, and certainly the most featured/advertised, betas that Apple has ever released to the public.

This is much more of a Google move than an Apple one. How much longer do you predict Siri will be in beta. By October of this year (at the latest) all iOS devices sold will come with Siri. Plus there have been thoughts/rumors that Siri will make her way to the Mac with 10.9.

I know "Beta" is just a label, and removing the word will add no functionality to the service, but I'm just wondering what specifically Apple is waiting for? Is it waiting till it's 100% reliable? Till it has an API released to Devs? Till it is across all platforms (Mac, iOS, including Apple TV)? Till its released is enough countries/languages? I get the feeling that the day Apple removes the "Beta" from Siri is the day that we understand the real future that Apple sees in Siri.
Siri will always be in beta. This is because it is a consistently updating service. What you're seeing is the final product. If it was in conventional, closed beta, it would be only released to a few people. But it's open beta, which means that it's fully released.
bonskovsky is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 03:53 PM   #4
Dwalls90
macrumors 68040

I love all things Apple, and Siri sucks.

It's nice that compared to Google Now it can do system wide functions like setting a reminder or the timer, but it's SLOW, UNRELIABLE and INACCURATE.

It takes way longer than Google Now to do just about anything.

It often says "cannot connect, even when on WiFi or LTE.

It often can never interpret what I say, or suggests odd things.

I REALLY hope that Tim Cook came down hard so that Siri can be buffed up significantly in iOS 7, because the "improvements" in iOS 6 were lame.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 04:26 PM   #5
pugnut
macrumors 6502a

When they are confident people will not sue based on a bad or incorrect response provided by SIRI.
pugnut is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 05:31 AM   #6
cynics
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwalls90 View Post
I love all things Apple, and Siri sucks.

It's nice that compared to Google Now it can do system wide functions like setting a reminder or the timer, but it's SLOW, UNRELIABLE and INACCURATE.

It takes way longer than Google Now to do just about anything.

It often says "cannot connect, even when on WiFi or LTE.

It often can never interpret what I say, or suggests odd things.

I REALLY hope that Tim Cook came down hard so that Siri can be buffed up significantly in iOS 7, because the "improvements" in iOS 6 were lame.
I never had a problem setting timers and reminders in Google Now. Screenshots from a stock Nexus 10 with pure Android.

I do however prefer Siri to Google Now. Although I feel Google Now can translate a bit better I feel Siri knows what I'm saying better....if that makes any sense. I rarely get those nice cards with GN I just get a google search.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 09:30 AM   #7
Mrg02d
Banned

Siri works for me...I love being able to set reminders for when I arrive somewhere.
Mrg02d is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 09:43 AM   #8
Smartass
macrumors 6502a

Siri in "Beta" is just an excuse from Apple so they could put out a shi-ty service and then say "It's in beta, thats why it isnt' working properly".
Smartass is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 04:41 PM   #9
solarguy17
macrumors 6502

I'm pretty sure Tim or someone officially took it out of beta at the iOS 6 keynote.
But regardless I always loved Siri, I very rarely have a problem with it. What I don't like is that Siri doesn't work if you don't have a net connection. That sucks for this that you should need Internet for.
solarguy17 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 10:49 AM   #10
Small White Car
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarguy17 View Post
I'm pretty sure Tim or someone officially took it out of beta at the iOS 6 keynote.
Nope, it still says Beta:

http://www.apple.com/ios/siri/
Small White Car is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 11:06 AM   #11
Hastings101
macrumors 68000

Probably forever, it's a good excuse for when things go wrong heh. Remember how long Gmail was in beta?
Hastings101 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 11:34 AM   #12
gmanist1000
macrumors 68020

Until it controls Skynet.
gmanist1000 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 12:00 PM   #13
Dwalls90
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynics View Post
I never had a problem setting timers and reminders in Google Now. Screenshots from a stock Nexus 10 with pure Android.

I do however prefer Siri to Google Now. Although I feel Google Now can translate a bit better I feel Siri knows what I'm saying better....if that makes any sense. I rarely get those nice cards with GN I just get a google search.
Oh wow that's cool I didn't realize it could do that. I thought it was just for search/info based functions.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 12:03 PM   #14
NT1440
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartass View Post
Siri in "Beta" is just an excuse from Apple so they could put out a shi-ty service and then say "It's in beta, thats why it isnt' working properly".
Yup, cuz apple is famous for blaming issues on beta software and all their PR emphasizes that Siri is a beta

I for one am excited for Siri coming to the mac in 10.9
NT1440 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 12:47 PM   #15
rbrian
macrumors 6502a

Until it gets it right more than 1 time in 100. I spent 40 minutes today trying to get directions, before I gave up and just followed the signposts. At least Apple now has recordings of me saying the exact same thing at least 50 times in various states of calmness and screamingly angry. Of course, that might not help much, since Siri guessed about 30 different interpretations of what I was saying, not a single one correct.
rbrian is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 01:02 PM   #16
The Phazer
macrumors 68030

Until voice recognition is reliable.

Which I expect to take longer than my lifetime.
The Phazer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 01:46 AM   #17
Aniseedvan
macrumors 6502

I'm not fussed by the 'beta' label but it disappoints me we appear to ge one step forwards on some updates and one step backwards on others.
I use mine in the car every night to add things into omnifocus. By virtue of my environment I'm wearing a Bluetooth headset and my phone is typically in the boot. If Siri misheard my reminders list it has spoken them out loud for me to pick one. Last night it reverted to just saying you have these and inferring I need to tap on one..
Same with the weather, that hops from telling me to just displaying it.
At least "reading" and writing texts works properly which is one thing I could never get to work on my galaxy s2 (admittedly pre google now).
Aniseedvan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 04:35 AM   #18
ggmissmolly
macrumors regular

April 27, 2019
ggmissmolly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 04:39 AM   #19
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by NT1440 View Post
Yup, cuz apple is famous for blaming issues on beta software and all their PR emphasizes that Siri is a beta
I'm surprised Apple Maps isn't in Beta (or is it?)
mrsir2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 06:49 AM   #20
8a22a
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanist1000 View Post
Until it controls Skynet.
Agreed, until it becomes self-aware.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 07:03 AM   #21
ChristianJapan
macrumors Demi-God

I think after with iOS 7 / OS 10.9, after WWDC, it will loose Beta Status.

And I couldn't resist and asked her directly (she didn't understood me saying "beta"; counting that against myself )

Click image for larger version

Name:	SiriBeta.png
Views:	34
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	394603

She don't know either ...
Member of MacRumors.com Folding@Home Team (#3446) & developer of the F@H Mobile Monitoring app.
ChristianJapan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 12:10 PM   #22
Italianblend
macrumors 65816

Apple's main marketing ploy for the 4S was Siri. In Beta. 1.4 years later, and not much improvements.

They really pushed the 4S marketing on Siri. It's as if the phone had nothing else new to offer and they needed some sort of selling point.

Siri has not been improved much at all and it's pretty frustrating. But as long as we all keep buying apple products, they will think they're doing a good job.
Italianblend is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 01:54 PM   #23
SAD*FACED*CLOWN
macrumors 65816

Siri works fine for me and in a timely fashion....the only time she's had trouble understanding me is pronouncing someone's name...she know all my family members and where I work and reads my texts with 100% accuracy
Old Feb 6, 2013, 04:33 AM   #24
hyteckit

Until they finished their data center in North Carolina and Oregan.
hyteckit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 02:53 AM   #25
globalist
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Italianblend View Post
Apple's main marketing ploy for the 4S was Siri. In Beta. 1.4 years later, and not much improvements.

They really pushed the 4S marketing on Siri. It's as if the phone had nothing else new to offer and they needed some sort of selling point.

Siri has not been improved much at all and it's pretty frustrating. But as long as we all keep buying apple products, they will think they're doing a good job.
I have a gut feeling the upper management at Apple has by now completely and conveniently forgot they even left the beta sticker on Siri.
globalist is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6