Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tbdbuckeyeitl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2012
When my imac is on and I am in a relatively quite room. I can hear it running it makes a low hum. The sound never speeds up or slows down its just a constant low hum. If I walk away from it the sound becomes hard to hear. Is this normal or is this the fan noise problems that people are posting about?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
When my imac is on and I am in a relatively quite room. I can hear it running it makes a low hum. The sound never speeds up or slows down its just a constant low hum. If I walk away from it the sound becomes hard to hear. Is this normal or is this the fan noise problems that people are posting about?
If you're not already doing so, use iStat Pro (free) or iStat Menus ($16) to get accurate readings of your temps, fan speeds, etc., rather than relying on your sense of touch or sound. A forum member has posted a copy of iStat Pro that has been "tweaked" to enhance compatibility with Mountain Lion. You can download it here.

Your fans are always on when your Mac is on. iMacs have 3 fans with minimum speeds in the 800-1200 range. They will spin faster as needed to keep temps at a safe level.

If your fans are spinning up without increased heat, try resetting the SMC.
(PRAM/NVRAM has nothing to do with these issues, so resetting it will not help.)

Learn about the fans in your Mac

TouchMint.com

macrumors 68000
May 25, 2012
Phoenix
If you're not already doing so, use iStat Pro (free) or iStat Menus ($16) to get accurate readings of your temps, fan speeds, etc., rather than relying on your sense of touch or sound. A forum member has posted a copy of iStat Pro that has been "tweaked" to enhance compatibility with Mountain Lion. You can download it here.

Your fans are always on when your Mac is on. iMacs have 3 fans with minimum speeds in the 800-1200 range. They will spin faster as needed to keep temps at a safe level.

If your fans are spinning up without increased heat, try resetting the SMC.
(PRAM/NVRAM has nothing to do with these issues, so resetting it will not help.)

Learn about the fans in your Mac

Do these run on windows or do you know of any windows options?

Tbdbuckeyeitl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2012
I don't think I am hearing a fan sound but just an idle sound noise. Just a low hum. I just wish it was completely silent.

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
I don't think I am hearing a fan sound but just an idle sound noise. Just a low hum. I just wish it was completely silent.

There's no such thing as a completely silent computer unless you custom build one that has no fans at all and uses only an SSD and a very high end power supply, such as a PiCO power supply that is also fanless and does not have any AC/DC whine.

My 27" is so quiet it is almost inaudible. If I hold my ear up to it I can just barely hear it running. I would say it would be very hard for me to determine if it is quieter or not than my 2009 iMac when both are at idle, but when I would do big jobs on the 2009 iMac it would heat up and the fans would go into overdrive. Even if I spend an hour playing Diablo III on the new one the fans are barely going.

All in all it's pretty hard to find fault with this unless you have one with a faulty part.

I think that Apple products attract OCD people and that sometimes they start to believe there are problems where there aren't.

Tbdbuckeyeitl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2012
I think I am hearing the seagate drive running. And making a slight fan tick noise.

kidwei

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2007

That sounds normal to me. I can hear my imac fan for sure if I listen for it but it's pretty quiet. I don't think it's possible for the imac to be silent, considering it has a real desktop processor and a fairly powerful gfx chip. I'm pretty sure this is totally normal based on what you're describing.

Tbdbuckeyeitl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2012
Thank you all. I have read all these posts and I am worried its rattling and humming to loud. It's in my head know. I have the 27 inch i7 1g fusion 680. If anyone has this model and hears it please let me know.

Nismo73

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2013
Thank you all. I have read all these posts and I am worried its rattling and humming to loud. It's in my head know. I have the 27 inch i7 1g fusion 680. If anyone has this model and hears it please let me know.

I got the same build as you today...I just hear a very low level of noise which seems to be a combination of the fan itself and the air blowing out from the bottom, or actually the back; this is at the fan idle speed of 1200rpm - in a room that's dead silent w/ the exception of some wind noise from outside. Kind of impressed seeing that it's an i7 with the 680 gpu. Every other PC computer has been way louder than this thing...

However, I would say any rattling is not normal though... :shrugs: Hard to say without comparing the two.

Last edited:

TinHead88

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2008
What you're hearing sounds to me like the hard drive humming which is transferred to (and often amplified by) the surface the computer stands on. Try lifting the iMac slightly and see if that reduces the humming. The clicking could be normal hard drive access.

If you want to get rid of this noise you could go all SSD in the iMac and use externals (at a distance) for larger files.

Tbdbuckeyeitl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2012
Is the ticking and clicking highly noticeable? Can you hear it from a few feet away? I hear air pushing through mine, unless I stick my head to the back of the machine then I might hear clicking or ticking. Is this normal.

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
I have the same machine as you and I don't notice it but if I turn my ear towards it and lean in I can just barely hear it. Why don't you go listen to one at the store and determine if yours is abnormal. You seem to be obsessing over it a bit much.

Tbdbuckeyeitl

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 25, 2012
I am heading to store now to compare. I am obsessing I just don't want a bad computer. I just wonders if the noises were audible across too or only right up next to it.

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
It has a warranty for a reason. If there's something wrong with it they will fix it or replace it. It's man made so it will never be "perfect" but they try to come as close as possible.

SpectreOne3

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2012
I've started to notice a fan "rattle" in my mid-2011 iMac. Its definitely coming from the ODD side of the machine.

Its not loud but certainly noticeable. Anyone had any issues getting it taken care of under warranty?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.