Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

java_logo_new-150x275.jpg
Less than two days after Apple once again blocked Java 7 web plug-ins on OS X, Oracle has released an updated version of Java 7 to address certain security vulnerabilities.

The new Java 7 arrives as Update 13 and carries a version number of 1.7.0_13-b20, meeting Apple's requirement for a minimum of 1.7.0_11-b22. Oracle has also released an updated version of Java 6, although Apple was not blocking the previous version of the plug-in.

Oracle notes that the new update contains fixes for over 50 issues and that the launch was accelerated by several weeks in order to address a vulnerability that was being exploited in the wild.
The original Critical Patch Update for Java SE - February 2013 was scheduled to be released on February 19th, but Oracle decided to accelerate the release of this Critical Patch Update because active exploitation "in the wild" of one of the vulnerabilities affecting the Java Runtime Environment (JRE) in desktop browsers, was addressed with this Critical Patch Update. [...]

Due to the threat posed by a successful attack, Oracle strongly recommends that customers apply CPU fixes as soon as possible. This Critical Patch Update contains 50 new security fixes across Java SE products.
The latest versions of all Java SE packages are available through Oracle's support site.

(Thanks, Flemming!)

Article Link: Oracle Releases Java 7 Update 13 to Address Security Issues, Reenable Web Plug-in on OS X

laudern

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2011
This is a complete no0b question and feel free to pay me out, but how do I know if I have Java installed on my OS?

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
This is a complete no0b question and feel free to pay me out, but how do I know if I have Java installed on my OS?
I just tried by opening a Terminal window (Applications -> Utilities) and typed "java -v". It'll display the Java version if installed. At this point, OS X actually showed a window saying "Java Runtime 6 is not installed. Do you want to install it?", at which point I clicked NO NOOO.

Edit: Ah right. "Undecided"'s reply above is a better than mine to check for Java installed as an actual browser plugin.

photographypro

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2010
American in Pisa (Italy)
Updated it, but I still have it off.

I have it if I need it, but with all the multiple problems, plus after the 1st problem that Apple blocked, Java had NOTHING on their website about potential problems, so I'm not sure if I can trust Java.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA

I spoke with Apple about this very question. If you are running an OS X version 10.7 or earlier, you check in your Applications folder. If you have it installed, it will show up there.

If you are running 10.8, open the System Preferences window. If you have Java, it will show up at the bottom of the window (5 lines down), under "Other".

Also, you can make sure it's not enabled, whether you have it or not, by going into Safari Preference > Security, and make sure "Enable Java" is Unchecked.

Sayer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2002
Austin, TX
At least I can use a Mac to do 99% of my work making a Java-based hybrid web app with a J2EE backend and Mac/iOS client front end. Using the Java-based Eclipse on a Mac is a good thing, otherwise I'd have to use the crappy WinXP (yes, XP) company laptops to get some of my work done. Yuck.

ConCat

macrumors 6502a
See, here's the problem. Clearly Apple knows when these patches are going to be released otherwise they wouldn't know what version it's going to be or when to block the old version. Problem is, they have to stop preempting Oracle. There is an order to things in life Apple, this isn't it.

KevinMHC

macrumors member
Nov 5, 2012
I spent all morning fixing this and right when I fixed it apple releases an update :mad:

A LITTLE NOTICE NEXT TIME WOULD BE NICE :mad:

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
See, here's the problem. Clearly Apple knows when these patches are going to be released otherwise they wouldn't know what version it's going to be or when to block the old version. Problem is, they have to stop preempting Oracle. There is an order to things in life Apple, this isn't it.
There's nothing clear about that kind of a theory. Apple blocks it when it feels there's enough justification out there for it to be a threat. They simply block the highest version that is available and have no clue what the next released version will be, but anything higher than the highest version at the time of blocking will supersede the block and work. Fairly straightforward and completely doesn't involve any prior knowledge of anything at all.

robb1068

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2011
"Oracle has also released an updated version of Java 6, although Apple was not blocking the previous version of the plug-in. "

This is from the XProtect.meta.plist file:

<key>JavaWebComponentVersionMinimum</key>
<string>1.6.0_37-b06-435</string>

Safari in our Snow Leopard clients are showing the JRE plug-in as inactive (even though it's enabled in Java prefs and Safari's security prefs). Unfortunately OS X 10.6 can only run Java 1.6 which is dependent on being updated from Apple. Here's hoping there's a quick approval.

mrkgoo

macrumors 65816
Aug 18, 2005
Do we get informed to update java 6? I think I as prompted to install a java runtime and mountain lion grabbed their java 6 b

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.