Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BrioBriss

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 11, 2013
Canada
Alright, I made a little search about my problem but nothing seemed to be really solved. At least I didn't found the solution yet.

Actually, I just installed the graphic card Quadro 4000 (the one for Mac) on my Mac Pro 4.1 with OS X 10.6.8. I first installed the drivers on the Mac side + the Cuda drivers thing. I booted on the Mac side and everything seems flawless, even faster than before!

Only issue is, when I try to boot on the Windows 7 side, right after I selected the Windows side to boot and pressed "Enter" it freezed instantly.

I didn't installed any drivers on the Windows 7 side, so I guess it's the issue. I went on the NVidia website to download the drivers for the "Quadro 4000 for Mac" but it tells it's not available for Windows 7 (obviously, since it's a Mac Graphic Card). Thing is, I don't want to try anything before being sure of what I'm doing so I ask here, what's the exact problem? Is it really the lack of drivers on the Windows side, if yes, which drivers should I download on the Windows side? (The Quadro 4000 for Windows drivers?)

Thanks for the help, would be highly appreciate!

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
Yes, when running in Windows the card needs Windows drivers.

It is odd that the default VESA drivers aren't working.

You might need to put the GT120 back in to install the Nvidia drivers if this doesn't solve itself.

Sometimes a reboot or two will get WIndows to load drivers.

BrioBriss

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 11, 2013
Canada
Yes, when running in Windows the card needs Windows drivers.

It is odd that the default VESA drivers aren't working.

You might need to put the GT120 back in to install the Nvidia drivers if this doesn't solve itself.

Sometimes a reboot or two will get WIndows to load drivers.

What are the "VESA" drivers exactly?

I'm running Windows 7 actually. The thing is that I downloaded the drivers from NVidia website since I didn't had the Drivers CD comming with the card.

I also downloaded the CUDA drivers as well

here is what I downloaded exactly:

Drivers: http://www.nvidia.fr/object/quadro-macosx-256.02.25f01-driver-fr.html
Cuda Drivers (the most recent ones): http://www.nvidia.com/object/mac-driver-archive.html

----------

btw does it's have a wait to "update" the Windows side with the drivers/everything new installed on the Mac side?

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
forget about CUDA for now, just get the card working

you might want to try a safe boot into Windows and run the installer that way

Windows from a Mac Pro can get in a weird cycle where it wants to output via your DVI 1 port and you have DVI 2 connected. (I realize that Q4000 doesn't have 2 DVIs, this is example only) Until you get drivers settled you may find it locking up after EFI splash screen.

If the Q4000 works fine in OSX then you just need to get drivers sorted in Windows. CUDA has nothing to do with display, so forget it until you get display working.

BrioBriss

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 11, 2013
Canada
forget about CUDA for now, just get the card working

you might want to try a safe boot into Windows and run the installer that way

Windows from a Mac Pro can get in a weird cycle where it wants to output via your DVI 1 port and you have DVI 2 connected. (I realize that Q4000 doesn't have 2 DVIs, this is example only) Until you get drivers settled you may find it locking up after EFI splash screen.

If the Q4000 works fine in OSX then you just need to get drivers sorted in Windows. CUDA has nothing to do with display, so forget it until you get display working.

Alright, then the problem is that I already tryed to get the drivers for Windows but I can't. I can't download the drivers for the "Quadro 4000 for Mac" when I am on Windows. I don't know which drivers download. I even tryed to download the drivers for the "Quadro 4000" (the one for Windows), but they said that I don,t have the material installed for this.. (The card isn't in my comp at the moment, if not, I wouldn't be able to boot on the Windows side).

Hope it can help you to figure what I can do/which driver should I download.

MacVidCards

Suspended
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
There are no Windows drivers for "Mac Quadro 4000" because you are in Windows, at which point it is just a Quadro 4000.

Please note that there is a difference between DOWLOADING something and INSTALLING something.

You need to use Q4000 and do a SAFE boot into Windows. If you have already DOWNLOADED the Q4000 drivers you should then be able to install them.

Windows can benefit from reboots.

Stop, breathe, and think.

BrioBriss

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 11, 2013
Canada
There are no Windows drivers for "Mac Quadro 4000" because you are in Windows, at which point it is just a Quadro 4000.

Please note that there is a difference between DOWLOADING something and INSTALLING something.

You need to use Q4000 and do a SAFE boot into Windows. If you have already DOWNLOADED the Q4000 drivers you should then be able to install them.

Windows can benefit from reboots.

Stop, breathe, and think.

Well the thing here is that I can't do a safe boot into Windows since the screen freeze even before I can get to Windows. The screen freeze at the moment I hit the enter buton (where I choose to boot under Mac or Windows). Any way I can do it before?

BrioBriss

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 11, 2013
Canada
^^^MVC told you already:

I actually can't install the drivers on the Windows side when the Quadro Card isn't in the comp (when I try to install them, an error message pop up saying they don,t found the material in the comp). That said, the drivers on the Mac side wouldn't go through the Windows side and update "after some boots". I have to install the drivers in the Windows side on a way I don't know.

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
Did you try PRAM reset? Won't hurt if it won't help.
Another thing (guessing here): maybe try Bootcamp update, if you don't have highest version supported by 10.6.8 (3.3) installed?

BrioBriss

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 11, 2013
Canada
Did you try PRAM reset? Won't hurt if it won't help.
Another thing (guessing here): maybe try Bootcamp update, if you don't have highest version supported by 10.6.8 (3.3) installed?

Don't know what "PRAM reset" is, I'll check that.

About Bootcamp, I actually have 3.3 and I tryed to update it yesterday, everything was updated.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.