Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
I used ebay for a few months back in 2004. After that I never used it. Since then I changed my e-mail address and phone number.

I got a letter from a collection agency yesterday called Convergent Outsourcing
for a bill of $55.85. I didn't think I owed ebay any money, so I logged into ebay and I did owe that exact amount and paid it off through ebay.

However I now fear this collection agency is going to want the 55.85 or put it on my credit report. I checked "Experian" today and there are no delinquent accounts from Convergent Outsourcing, however they do show up as looking at my credit a few months ago.

I Googled Convergent Outsourcing and they have so many complaints, etc., but on the letter they sent me--they knew the exact amount I owed ebay as well as my username.

So I contacted ebay and they said pay the bill, which I did last night. But if ebay sent this to an outside debt collector Convergent would never know and possibly still give me "Account in Collections."

What should I do. I mean it's only 55.85, but I would hate for this to show up on my credit report. Like I said I already paid ebay last night.

I thought once a company (ebay in this situation) sells a debt to a collection agency that the collection agency owns and collects on any payments.

I am confused. If I have to pay Convergent the same amount to protect my credit I will.

Just Google "Convergent Outsourcing" and you will be :eek:

Thanks for any advice.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Give them a call and said you paid, they will probably scrap it on their end. PayPal does this too. But it's mostly because you'll likely pay up if it comes to collection agencies, versus if eBay/PayPal was to just keep bugging you about it.

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
I lapsed on paying a bill a while back, medical if I recall correctly. It went to a collection company and they notified me in writing. I paid off the bill to the original debtor, got another letter from the collection company stating I still owed them money, a fee I guess. I suspect your debt collector will be expecting something, maybe $5-10, for their efforts. I hope it's not more than that. Don't stress, this kind of thing happens and you just have to roll with it. Some debt collectors actually buy the debt, and they can be down right nasty about getting people to pay, but this is usually when the sum is in the thousands, not $50. Hope this helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.