Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DaDuke

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2013
Hi everyone,

I am about to receive my new 27 iMac, with a 3TB Fusion Drive.
Like many others, I've realized just a few days ago that it was not possible, at this stage, to use Bootcamp on a HDD (Fusion or not) that has a size greater than 2.2 GB...

So I was wondering if it was possible to install Windows 7 on an external SSD (LaCie Rugged 256GB SSD)...
I've read the (brilliant) topic https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1508618/, which explains how to install Windows 8 on an External SSD, but I am not sure the process would work with a 3TB Fusion Drive.

Because if I understand correctly (and it's definitely not granted :D), you need first to install Bootcamp on the internal drive and then clone it.

Am I mistaken?

Many thanks in advance for your precious hints.

Cheers

DaDuke

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2013
Hi Daduke,
On the second page of the topic that you mention, I have put a link to a step by step guide I made to do this.
And you won't have to run bootcamp at all.
I myself have a 3TB fusion drive and I installed Windows 8 on an external thunderbolt drive without impacting my internal drive.

Read the guide here: http://bleeptobleep.blogspot.fr/2013/02/mac-install-windows-7-or-8-on-external.html

Wow!!!!!!!!!

Your guide sounds just perfect!

Cant wait to test it!

A huge THANK YOU! I'll keep you posted.

DaDuke

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2013
I've just started to have a look at your guide. It is really a major contribution to this forum, you should be proud of yourself! :apple::apple:

Just a clarification, please:
If I understand correctly, I will have first to install windows through a virtual machine on my internal drive (I have a parallels 7 licence) to be able to operate on the external disk.

In order to keep a totally clean install on my iMac, do you think I could apply steps 1, 2 and 3 of your guide using my MacBookPro?

Because in an ideal world, I would prefer to install parallels on my iMac only once Windows has already been installed on the external SSD, so I can point the Virtual Machine toward the external drive.

I am not sure my explanations are totally clear... :eek::eek::eek:

BleepToBleep

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2012
Glad you appreciate it :)
Regarding the VM, this really is up to you. Both will work. Instead of using a VM, you can even use a real PC running Windows 7 or 8. What is important is to be sure that you are running a 64 bits version of Windows, because the bootcamp drivers for your iMac are made for 64 bits versions of Windows..
Then regarding using Parallels to point to the external drive, I don't know if this is possible. I have not tried it. I just run Windows in dual boot with OS X.

DaDuke

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 1, 2013
Glad you appreciate it :)
Regarding the VM, this really is up to you. Both will work. Instead of using a VM, you can even use a real PC running Windows 7 or 8. What is important is to be sure that you are running a 64 bits version of Windows, because the bootcamp drivers for your iMac are made for 64 bits versions of Windows..
Then regarding using Parallels to point to the external drive, I don't know if this is possible. I have not tried it. I just run Windows in dual boot with OS X.

OK, I'll try to follow your process using my MBP, in order to keep the iMac "clean".

Because of you, I've just spent 325€ on the Apple Store. Well done!! :D

BleepToBleep

macrumors member
Dec 31, 2012
Cool :) have you tried linking it to Parallels like you wanted? I have no idea if this is possible or not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.