Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Feltzem

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 20, 2009
Mountain Lion was announced on the 16th of february, with the first beta for developers also being released then. Do you think that 10.9 will be announced this month?

Edit: For some reason on the mobile site capitals automatically become lowercase in the title. I meant OS X 10.9

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
Siri and Maps. (yawn)

Wake me when they resurrect 10.6 and call it Snow Lion.

Baklava

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2010
Germany
Mountain Leopard - 10.9 - is going to rock!
10.9 Garfield
heute-ist-garfield-geburtstag-image.gif

Tar Sniffer

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2012
No imminent product updates are expected so it will most likely be a surprise announcement once again.

The day of the week doesn't mean anything, but since Mountain Lion was announced on a Thursday I'm going to predict Feb 14 or Feb 21 as the announcement date.

Intel will be releasing Haswell in June, so announcing OS X 10.9 in February makes sense since it will be ready for the next MacBook refresh and WWDC.

Last edited:

Arnel

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2003
Vancouver, BC
My guess is that the announcement will be at a similar time to the announcement of Mountain Lion last year, and the first developer release of Lion the year before that - around mid-to-late-February.

Now, last year they had those mini-events for journalists the week before. I'm wondering if this year they may do a small event (i.e. at the Town Hall) to announce 10.9 publicly instead? The slate for events seems like it will be quite empty until around WWDC, so they won't be worried about holding too many (last year they had held the education event in Jan and had the iPad event scheduled for March, so that explains why they went for the low-key hotel suite one-on-one meetings for ML).

I guess a lot of it depends on how much there is to talk about. Maybe, if the new organisational setup at Apple has had visible effects on this version it would be worth showing off what the Ive-and-Fedherigi future is going to look like, but of course it may be far too soon for us to expect any dramatic new directions to be ready.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
Given the current stock price woes of Apple, I really doubt OSX is any kind of priority since it simply isn't their bread and butter.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.