Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 1, 2013, 09:07 PM   #1
jrswizzle
macrumors 601
 
jrswizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: McKinney, TX
New Nexus 4 - need advice

My new Nexus 4 arrived today and being a diehard iOS user, I'm not sure where to begin. If anyone has their top 5 android apps they'd recommend I'd love to check them out!
jrswizzle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 09:08 PM   #2
The iGentleman
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Just use the phone. Through using the phone, you will know what apps you feel you need.
The iGentleman is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 09:14 PM   #3
jrswizzle
Thread Starter
macrumors 601
 
jrswizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: McKinney, TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by The iGentleman View Post
Just use the phone. Through using the phone, you will know what apps you feel you need.
Thanks for the tip....
jrswizzle is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 09:19 PM   #4
DeusInvictus7
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Kitchener, Ontario
What the other poster said was really good. You could also look at the apps that you use the most on iOS, and see if there are equivalents on Android, most mainstream apps will be there.
__________________
iPhone 5S - rMBP - TV - iPod Nano
DeusInvictus7 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 09:23 PM   #5
The iGentleman
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrswizzle View Post
Thanks for the tip....
I didn't mean that to sound any sort of way beyond helpful. Apps you might use on iOS, you may not find necessary on Android. The best way to know what you need, is to use the device. Through using the device you will quickly know what apps you need for day to day use.
The iGentleman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 09:25 PM   #6
Tig Bitties
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Add widgets to the home screen. Open app drawer, click widgets tab at top left.

A classic widget is News and Weather. Can configure your local weather, plus any type of news you prefer.

The calendar widget is useful too.
Tig Bitties is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 09:34 PM   #7
onthecouchagain
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Amazon AppStore (through the Amazon site) - One free app a day. Usually nothing spectacular, but once in a while, there's a gem.

Chrome Beta

Astro File Manager - if you want to manage your files. I find it useful from time to time.

Cerberus - Think "Find my iPhone" but with way more features.

DropBox

Gnotes - the best note taking app IMO. People will say Evernote is better, so that's another option.

No Lock - allows you to turn off your lock screen when you feel you don't need it (when you're at home, for example). I love this.

Power Toggles - BIG ONE. Definitely download, tinker, and have fun. Once you set it the way you like it, accessing settings is super fast. I'll post a pic of my set up to give you an idea.

QuickOffice - great Word/Excel/PDF reader.

Swiftkey 3 - Buy it. It's worth every penny. Best keyboard ever. 'Nuff said.

Whatsapp - Free texting. Also consider Google Voice.

Beautiful Widgets - Probably the most popular clock/weather widget. It's highly customizable, and a joy to have.

Simple Calendar - Amazing calendar widget. Scrollable too, which I love.

Don't forget about little things like Direct Dial (in the widgets menu) that allows you to put your favorite contacts onto the home screen. I keep my most frequently called contacts in a folder. Very convenient.

Many many things to discover... Almost anything you want to do, there's an app for it. Have fun.




You can see both my Power Widget and Beautiful Weather widget here:

Thumb resize.
onthecouchagain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 11:02 PM   #8
jrswizzle
Thread Starter
macrumors 601
 
jrswizzle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: McKinney, TX
Thanks! How much different is swift key than the new 4.2.1 keyboard? And which theme are you using for weather?

Last edited by jrswizzle; Feb 1, 2013 at 11:39 PM.
jrswizzle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 11:15 PM   #9
soulreaver99
macrumors Demi-God
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Southern California
Swift Key is awesome. But go to the swiftkey flow website and download the beta and it will change your life! It's a combination of an awesome keyboard with swype.

other apps I recommend:
  • Nova Launcher - Best Launcher Ever
  • Astrid - More powerful than iOS reminder and works across multiple platforms
  • Mighty Text - Send SMS through any computer with a browser, works best with Chrome
  • Air Droid - Basically control your phone from anything with a web browswer
  • PicasaTool - I disable picasa web on the gallery and use this instead. More memory efficient and saves space. Great if you want to have something similar to PhotoStream
  • Pixlr Express - photo editing on the go, simple and powerful
  • Play Music - billion times better than iTunes Music Match and syncs with iTunes as well.
  • Dogg Catcher - great to grab all your favorite podcasts
__________________
MacBook Pro Retina 15" 2013 | iMac 27" 2011
iPhone 5s 64GB | HTC One M8
visit the geeks office for more foodporn and tech!
soulreaver99 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 09:41 AM   #10
Lava Lamp Freak
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrswizzle View Post
My new Nexus 4 arrived today and being a diehard iOS user, I'm not sure where to begin. If anyone has their top 5 android apps they'd recommend I'd love to check them out!
You might find this helpful. It was written by someone moving from an iPhone to a Nexus 4. There is a list of apps if you scroll down a little in the article.

http://gizmodo.com/5973073/an-iphone...s-4-completely

Enjoy your new Nexus 4. I'll have mine on Monday.
Lava Lamp Freak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 09:49 AM   #11
matttye
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lincoln, England
Tasker, Astrid, Chrome (if not already on there), Nova/Apex launcher (I prefer Apex but they're pretty comparable), SwiftKey.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrswizzle View Post
Thanks! How much different is swift key than the new 4.2.1 keyboard? And which theme are you using for weather?
I have never ever used a better software keyboard than SwiftKey on any device. The autocorrect is so accurate and it really does seem to learn how you type and what words you use. It has the option of scanning your messages/emails/etc to get a feel for the language you use and it seems to work really well.
__________________
iPad 2 16GB Black (WiFi+3G) -- iPhone 5s 64GB Space Grey.
matttye is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 09:52 AM   #12
mattopotamus
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by onthecouchagain View Post
Amazon AppStore (through the Amazon site) - One free app a day. Usually nothing spectacular, but once in a while, there's a gem.

Chrome Beta

Astro File Manager - if you want to manage your files. I find it useful from time to time.

Cerberus - Think "Find my iPhone" but with way more features.

DropBox

Gnotes - the best note taking app IMO. People will say Evernote is better, so that's another option.

No Lock - allows you to turn off your lock screen when you feel you don't need it (when you're at home, for example). I love this.

Power Toggles - BIG ONE. Definitely download, tinker, and have fun. Once you set it the way you like it, accessing settings is super fast. I'll post a pic of my set up to give you an idea.

QuickOffice - great Word/Excel/PDF reader.

Swiftkey 3 - Buy it. It's worth every penny. Best keyboard ever. 'Nuff said.

Whatsapp - Free texting. Also consider Google Voice.

Beautiful Widgets - Probably the most popular clock/weather widget. It's highly customizable, and a joy to have.

Simple Calendar - Amazing calendar widget. Scrollable too, which I love.

Don't forget about little things like Direct Dial (in the widgets menu) that allows you to put your favorite contacts onto the home screen. I keep my most frequently called contacts in a folder. Very convenient.

Many many things to discover... Almost anything you want to do, there's an app for it. Have fun.




You can see both my Power Widget and Beautiful Weather widget here:

Thumb resize.
That is an awesome weather widget!
mattopotamus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 09:56 AM   #13
mrskullfreak
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: michigan north detroit
How does the screen compare to the ip5?
__________________
21" iMac, 13" Macbook pro, iPhone 5, iPhone 4
mrskullfreak is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 09:58 AM   #14
Sylon
macrumors 68000
 
Sylon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Michigan/Ohio, USA
Definitely checking out the tips and advice in this thread. I just received my new N4 yesterday, still getting everything setup.
__________________
2013 13" Retina MacBook Pro | 32GB iPhone 4S | 32GB iPad Air | TV
16GB Samsung GS4 | 16GB Nexus 4 | 16GB Nexus 7
Sylon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 10:12 AM   #15
daveathall
macrumors 68000
 
daveathall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: North Yorkshire
Watch these fellas, works great with a Nexus 4.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c39PX...0C96A551E5371A


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWa29...0C96A551E5371A

Apps I enjoy.

BobClockD3 https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...m9iLmNsb2NrIl0.

Battery Widget? Reborn! Pro https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...pps.reborn.pro

Plex (Also on iOS) https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...lexapp.android

iRT Calendar. https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...alendar.app.ui

Last edited by daveathall; Feb 2, 2013 at 10:24 AM.
daveathall is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 11:25 AM   #16
onthecouchagain
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrswizzle View Post
Thanks! How much different is swift key than the new 4.2.1 keyboard? And which theme are you using for weather?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattopotamus View Post
That is an awesome weather widget!

Thank you. I believe it's called "DarkLudi" for those who have Beautiful Widgets.
onthecouchagain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 11:36 AM   #17
Dr McKay
macrumors 68040
 
Dr McKay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Kirkland
Send a message via MSN to Dr McKay Send a message via Skype™ to Dr McKay
2 recommendations from me.

Firstly Airdroid, this app is fantastic, once you've opened it on your Phone you're presented with a passcode, go to web.airdroid.com and enter that code. You can access your entire phone from inside the browser, look at your system files, music/videos/pictures. Add pictures to your phone from your computer. (Transfers are quick too)

Thumb resize. Thumb resize.

You can even send messages from inside the browser and they'll send from the phone.

And second is File Explorer, it allows you access to the file system of your phone (Minus system files, you'll require root for that). I use it for moving files about my phone, e.g a song I've downloaded from Youtube from my Downloads to my Music folder or my Ringtones folder.

Thumb resize.

Other than that I'd go with apps you had on iOS, these are 2 things that I love having on my Phone and couldn't go back to iOS without.
__________________
If only I could be so grossly incandescent.
Dr McKay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 11:59 AM   #18
Sylon
macrumors 68000
 
Sylon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Michigan/Ohio, USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr McKay View Post
2 recommendations from me.

Firstly Airdroid, this app is fantastic, once you've opened it on your Phone you're presented with a passcode, go to web.airdroid.com and enter that code. You can access your entire phone from inside the browser, look at your system files, music/videos/pictures. Add pictures to your phone from your computer. (Transfers are quick too)

Thumb resize. Thumb resize.

You can even send messages from inside the browser and they'll send from the phone.

And second is File Explorer, it allows you access to the file system of your phone (Minus system files, you'll require root for that). I use it for moving files about my phone, e.g a song I've downloaded from Youtube from my Downloads to my Music folder or my Ringtones folder.

Thumb resize.

Other than that I'd go with apps you had on iOS, these are 2 things that I love having on my Phone and couldn't go back to iOS without.

That Airdroid app looks awesome. How do you download YouTube videos using the N4?
__________________
2013 13" Retina MacBook Pro | 32GB iPhone 4S | 32GB iPad Air | TV
16GB Samsung GS4 | 16GB Nexus 4 | 16GB Nexus 7
Sylon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 12:32 PM   #19
sentinelsx
macrumors 68010
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
You are going to have a hard time finding a working youtube downloader on the nexus. It is an android phone, one that is also a showcase for it, and google doesn't like people downloading youtube videos off the net. Hence the reason my chrome plugins for youtube download break every 2 months.

However, you can try using the clunkier method that worked for me 99% of the time, copy the link of the video from the "copy link" option, open up whatever video downloading site you like to use, and get it downloaded from there. Done. It is not that hard at all, just a bit tedious but in the end you do get the video downloaded so the job is done.

As for apps:

Kingsoft Office.
Weather Eye
Astrid to-do tasks or Any.DO
ezPDF (make sure you get the paid version if you are doing more than just reading pdfs and also hate ads).
Evernote.
Netflix.
FalconPro (if you use twitter).
Flipboard
Mint financial app.
Tunein Radio, or Rdio.
Pandora or spotify.
Dropbox.
Carbon.
Hookt.

Examples of some good apps you could use to be productive. Also try supporting those devs by buying the paid versions if applicable, as that brings in more quality apps.

Many of the above have decent tablet versions too, as i found during my quest to find such apps in my potential quest for a nexus 10.


No offence to anyone but i am always amazed by the number of launchers, file managers, phone tweakers, battery tweakers, toggles and widgets comprising 60-70% of app suggestions in every similar thread. Do people even use these smartphones beyond tinkering with the onboard OS or facebooking?

Last edited by sentinelsx; Feb 2, 2013 at 12:38 PM.
sentinelsx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 12:37 PM   #20
onthecouchagain
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinelsx View Post
No offence to anyone but i am always amazed by the number of launchers, file managers, phone tweakers, battery tweakers, toggles and widgets comprising 60-70% of app suggestions in every similar thread. Do people even use these smartphones beyond tinkering with the onboard OS or facebooking?

No offense taken. What else do you do with your phone?

I primarily text, email, web browse, play music, and read Flipboard. Most of these are covered very well. I suggested Swiftkey 3 for heavy typists.

Oh I also use Google Maps and Navigation occasionally. Again, nothing there that needs recommending; I guess other than update your Maps and starred locations.

BTW, OP, you can star a location on Google Maps in a browser, and it'll appear starred on your phone, too (and vice veras). Very handy.
onthecouchagain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 12:53 PM   #21
Dr McKay
macrumors 68040
 
Dr McKay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Kirkland
Send a message via MSN to Dr McKay Send a message via Skype™ to Dr McKay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylon View Post
That Airdroid app looks awesome. How do you download YouTube videos using the N4?
I don't download the full videos, I download the MP3s of them for use in stuff like ringtones or if theres a mix I like that wouldnt be available on any stores.

To download the MP3 I copy the URL in the YouTube App on the menu, paste it into www.listentoyoutube.com and download the file. From there I move it into the relevant folder. For downloading entire videos? There seem to be apps for that.
__________________
If only I could be so grossly incandescent.
Dr McKay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 01:01 PM   #22
sentinelsx
macrumors 68010
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by onthecouchagain View Post
No offense taken. What else do you do with your phone?

I primarily text, email, web browse, play music, and read Flipboard. Most of these are covered very well. I suggested Swiftkey 3 for heavy typists.

Oh I also use Google Maps and Navigation occasionally. Again, nothing there that needs recommending; I guess other than update your Maps and starred locations.

BTW, OP, you can star a location on Google Maps in a browser, and it'll appear starred on your phone, too (and vice veras). Very handy.
Oh yeah i didn't mention the onboard google apps because they are there already and i am sure OP can find a use for all of them. I do not use an android phone now but when i did i used almost all of them (and even use them now on my iPhone ), use google maps, gmail, google talk, sometimes g+, but i prefer dropbox over gdrive though. Hence my recommendation because android phones have a much easier time working with dropbox than an iPhone. The music player included in almost all android phones i have used has been good so i didn't buy a third part music app for onboard songs.

Also swiftkey3 wasn't included in my criticism because it is a tool, and a very good one at that, is the jumpiness in chrome fixed though?

As for what i use my phone for, talking ofcourse (yes i still do it guys ), texting, tons of IMs with distant family and friends, weather checking when i get up and am going out for work (i use degrees which is a canadian weather app because it sends push alerts for inclement weather, i was delighted to see it appear in google play recently too).

Music, managing finances on the go using mint, using internet banking (barely use my laptop for internet banking now), listening to radio, reading, annotating PDFs and keeping them as references, reading books if i am too bored and not at home to use my computer (still don't have my own tablet), occassional netflix although my data cap prohibits that, again something a tablet on wifi would be more appropriate for.

Reviewing documents, spreadsheets, presentations, i use flipboard for a lot of my article reading and it is great to keep me in the know, some twitter, once a week some facebook maybe, taking notes (evernote is great at random note taking and syncing on the go, even picture notes and works cross platform).

Reminders, calendar, a little use of cloud storage (dropbox), youtube.

And gaming while commute. Cannot get out of replaying kingdom rush, quite addicting. Shame it is not on android, would look great on some of those bigger screen devices for sure . Also play puzzlers like trainyard etc. Battleheart still gets played quite often even though it is been a while when the last update was made. I absolutely hate playing the big name games from gameloft or EA because they seem to be just rip-offs of console titles, and bad ones at that lacking all the depth (hard to do on mobile i know, for a hardcore game) Also touch screen D-pads aren't so amazing to use so i avoid those, only big name titles i have are NFS most wanted and FIFA 13, because they tend to be much less annoying.
sentinelsx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 01:48 PM   #23
Stuntman06
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Metro Vancouver, B.C, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrswizzle View Post
Thanks! How much different is swift key than the new 4.2.1 keyboard? And which theme are you using for weather?
I'm going to plug two other Keyboards that I have used and I personally do not like SwiftKey. I have used Thumb Keyboard for a few months now. I like the various different keyboard layouts it has compared to SwiftKey. I also do not like SwiftKey's auto-spacing feature that I cannot turn off.

If you are willing to try a beta product, you may want to look at Kii Keyboard. I switched to this because I find Kii a little better and allows more control over the size of the keyboard. Also, I like the keyboard layouts a bit better. All of the features are enabled while this is still in beta. For a beta product, I find it is more stable than Thumb.

On a different note, I am also recommending Nova Prime Launcher. It is already mentioned by another member. With this launcher, you can change the number of rows and columns on your home screen. It also has more app dock features. I use it to get rid of the app dock on the bottom and have a home screen with 6 rows of icons.
__________________
<\
\>tuntman
Stuntman06 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 04:32 PM   #24
Kenneth D
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
I'll second thumb keyboard it's simply the best. Forward delete and you can create one touch shortcut keys. And the predictive is good as well.
Kenneth D is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 06:37 AM   #25
IFRIT
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Browse the apps via the Google play website and send the apps you want too your phone, far easier then browsing loads of apps via the phone.
IFRIT is online now   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rumor: Motorola Nexus 6, Asus Nexus 8 and HTC Nexus 10 kenypowa Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 4 Feb 10, 2014 03:57 AM
phones: Unbiased advice. (4S vs Nexus 4) :D js81 Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 39 Jun 13, 2013 08:47 PM
Nexus tablet advice Patriks7 Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 3 May 6, 2013 03:28 PM
Google Announces $199 Nexus 7 Tablet, $299 Nexus Q Media Streamer MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 553 Oct 23, 2012 10:13 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:11 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC