Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Feb 2, 2013, 01:59 PM   #26
Technarchy
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by elistan View Post
Horse vs cow isn't an issue, assuming both are produced to the proper standards. A supplier misrepresenting, or being ignorant of, the contents of their product is a BIG problem.

That said - yum! to the below.
Kangaroo? Interesting. Wonder what that is like.
Technarchy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 02:02 PM   #27
Jaffa Cake
macrumors Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunk View Post
It's abhorrent because the French do it.
I was in France when I ate horse. This probably marks me out as a traitorous knave.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 06:14 PM   #28
skunk
macrumors Demi-God

What was the horse's name?
Old Feb 2, 2013, 06:21 PM   #29
mobilehaathi
macrumors 601

Am I the only one who thinks it is hilarious that this is in PRSI? What could possibly be scandalous about people eating meat?
Old Feb 2, 2013, 06:58 PM   #30
thekev
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post
I'm weird in that if I really really like a specific type of animal or species, I can't eat something that I know contains remnants of it. I just end up thinking of the animal. I don't think I could knowingly eat anything containing frogs, turtles, or kangaroos. It's a personal hangup, which has nothing to do with logic.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 08:32 PM   #31
localoid
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Nelly. Her name was Nelly. Always handsome and stylish, she was a favorite among the women-folk as a driving animal. I could talk her into anything and no road was too long for her. She could be high-stung at times but was very sagacious.

She proved to be a good brood mare, breeding and raising colts until she was about 30 years old. Just before we ate her we took her to Barnum's circus, because she had always wanted to see an elephant.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 08:34 PM   #32
stevensr123
macrumors 6502

Quote:
When I tried kangaroo steak I didn't really like it, too rich and very very chewy I thought.
stevensr123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 08:42 PM   #33
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac'nCheese View Post
I eat meat and don't really care what animal it comes from as long as its not really, really bad for me. (I know all meat is but I mean like the movie CONTAGION bad)
Why would all meat be bad for you? Meats contain a lot of nutriants that are VERY good for you

----------

Quote:
Fun fact: Apparently most of the meat comes from the that fat tail
mrsir2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 01:32 AM   #34
Mac'nCheese
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsir2009 View Post
Why would all meat be bad for you? Meats contain a lot of nutriants that are VERY good for you

----------

Fun fact: Apparently most of the meat comes from the that fat tail
I agree but if I wrote I didn't want any meat that was bad for me, I figured some vegetarian would jump all over that. Just wanted to make the point that as long as the meat was "good", I have no problem where it comes from. Except for people, no soylent green for me.
Mac'nCheese is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 02:31 AM   #35
duneriderltr450
macrumors 6502

I guess Burger King really stands by their motto 'have it your way'.
duneriderltr450 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 02:46 AM   #36
fox10078
macrumors 6502

I heard horse would be tough because of being so lean and nothing having the fat that adds the flavor like cows.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 03:02 AM   #37
filmbuff
macrumors 6502a

The idea of eating horse doesn't bother me. But it does say something about the quality of your food if a little bit of horse gets in there by accident. What ELSE got in there by accident?
filmbuff is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 04:51 AM   #38
iStudentUK
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Kangaroo is really nice, I had it on holiday in south east Asia. It's much more tender than beef, and I think it's better. However, like beef it is very easy to overcook. Kangaroos also produce less methane than cows so farming them would be less damaging to the environment!
Old Feb 3, 2013, 04:27 PM   #39
Don't panic
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by fox10078 View Post
I heard horse would be tough because of being so lean and nothing having the fat that adds the flavor like cows.
you heard wrong
horse meat is quite tender. now if whoever told you that had tried an old workhorse who got at the end of the trail, that might be a different story
Don't panic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 04:36 PM   #40
Technarchy
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmbuff View Post
The idea of eating horse doesn't bother me. But it does say something about the quality of your food if a little bit of horse gets in there by accident. What ELSE got in there by accident?
That's really my only concern in all this.

I've got no issue with eating horse, but I don't want it on my menu by accident.
Steve Jobs, January 9th 2007, 10:44am: "We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them."
Technarchy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 09:00 PM   #41
MuddyPaws1
Banned

I have no issue with eating a horse. It's meat. I eat meat. I like meat. Vegetarians are missing a great thing. I have eaten ostrich, alligator, bear, elk, buffalo, deer, moose, caribou, kangaroo and lots of what I would call "regular" animal meat. There is room for all God's animals...right next to the potatoes.

But I would be concerned about the lax food handling and cleaning practices at the plants that were processing the meat.
MuddyPaws1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 10:21 PM   #42
thekev
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddyPaws1 View Post

But I would be concerned about the lax food handling and cleaning practices at the plants that were processing the meat.
I am of the same opinion regarding food handling and cleaning. Things should be as they are labeled. What we're willing to eat is largely cultural. I group religious aspects in with that.

I actually tried to stick to a vegetarian diet at one point. I couldn't do it. The reason for trying was mostly because I hate the way livestock animals are treated. Then of course I have weird hangups with certain animals that I really like. If I like them, it's too difficult for me to avoid picturing the animal, not that I spite anyone else for eating them. An example would be I stopped eating lobster after seeing them in the tanks at a seafood restaurant. I also never went back there.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 08:49 AM   #43
MuddyPaws1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekev View Post
I am of the same opinion regarding food handling and cleaning. Things should be as they are labeled. What we're willing to eat is largely cultural. I group religious aspects in with that.

I actually tried to stick to a vegetarian diet at one point. I couldn't do it. The reason for trying was mostly because I hate the way livestock animals are treated. Then of course I have weird hangups with certain animals that I really like. If I like them, it's too difficult for me to avoid picturing the animal, not that I spite anyone else for eating them. An example would be I stopped eating lobster after seeing them in the tanks at a seafood restaurant. I also never went back there.
Cultural is for sure. I was watching weird eats with my son and they had guinea pig on a stick. We had a guinea pig at the time. LOL
MuddyPaws1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 09:11 AM   #44
ericrwalker
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenzen View Post
And if you're going to eat meat, what's so wrong with a little horse meat anyway?

I've eaten horse meat a couple of times and it's pretty good. I've never eaten it cooked though. Meat is Meat, as long as it's not human meat, I am game.
ericrwalker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 10:34 AM   #45
Don't panic
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericrwalker View Post
I've eaten horse meat a couple of times and it's pretty good. I've never eaten it cooked though. Meat is Meat, as long as it's not human meat, I am game.
in general, i draw my personal line at monkeys, although i would still cross it in life-or-death situations, or in culturally tricky ones.
Don't panic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 11:02 AM   #46
ericrwalker
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don't panic View Post
in general, i draw my personal line at monkeys, although i would still cross it in life-or-death situations, or in culturally tricky ones.

Seems like reasonable line not to cross, since they are our "cousins" in terms of evolution.

Dog meat is still somewhat common in some Asian countries though still controversial, I imagine in Africa too.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 11:22 AM   #47
Tinmania
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericrwalker View Post
I agree. But like others have said it is the implied lack of control in the supply chain that disturbs me.

In my case I would be less disturbed if it was 100% horse-meat that was delivered. But this "up to 10% (as high as 50%)" seems like they are mixing who-knows-how-many sources together for "ground beef." That is scary.

Michael
Tinmania is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 11:24 AM   #48
ericrwalker
Banned

Right, that doesn't bother me, but I think it should be openly labelled as what it is though because I am sure it bothers others and they should be able to avoid horse if they don't want to eat horse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinmania View Post
I agree. But like others have said it is the implied lack of control in the supply chain that disturbs me.

In my case I would be less disturbed if it was 100% horse-meat that was delivered. But this "up to 10% (as high as 50%)" seems like they are mixing who-knows-how-many sources together for "ground beef." That is scary.

Michael
Old Feb 4, 2013, 12:51 PM   #49
Raid
macrumors 68020

Quote:
It was an old French race horse called Wellington's Beef

I have no particular objections to eating horse meat either, the main problem here is that the consumers didn't know what they were eating, and that's what I have a problem with. Corporate lobbyists have twisted what the definition of what "beef" is... after this I wouldn't be surprised if the burgers were just called 100% "meat".

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues