Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you use a smart cover with your iPad mini?

• Yes

Votes: 37 78.7%
  • No

Votes: 10 21.3%

• Total voters

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
I did protect the back with a cover, but now I just use a Smart Cover. If the surface is super rough, I just flip the SC over and use it for the back. Otherwise, I just set the iPad down.

The Smart Cover will set the iPad in landscape, btw.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
I abhor smart covers after trying one.

Conversely the smart case I have on my iPad 4 is really nice. Too bad Apples inconsistent ways prevented them from creating a smart cover to fit the mini.

My major complaint with the mini is how tiring it is to hold without a case. With a case you've defeated its light weight advantage.

TWO2SEVEN

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2010
Plano, TX
smartcover+ coverbuddy - cover never comes off accidentally....

Same setup on my fiance's Mini.

To me the Mini SmartCover seems to hold the iPad up in landscape better than the SC on my 3rd gen iPad. I'm sure it is the lighter weight and smaller form of the Mini.

Roy Hobbs

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
Another thumbs up for the SmartCover and CoverBuddy combo for the mini.

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
go to the website....google coverbuddy...questions answered....

In...the...time...you...typed...that...you...could...have...answered...their...question. Why the "go look this up on your own" attitude all the time? This is a forum where people ask questions.

What difference would the CoverBuddy make? And how do I know if it is a clear or matte coverbuddy?

There's 2 different clear glossy ones. The "black" and clear ones are the only glossy ones. The rest of the colors are the matte ones. If you go with a CoverBuddy, go with one of the matte ones. There's a thread here that also has pics of a few of the colors. (I see you've already posted there, but I'll link to it anyway.)

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1499652/

Last edited:

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
In...the...time...you...typed...that...you...could...have...answered...their...question. Why the "go look this up on your own" attitude all the time? This is a forum where people ask questions.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1499652/

c'mon.....the mfr website has pictures, all the selections of color - much more than I can type...going to a mfr website is logical...it''s not attitude...

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
c'mon.....the mfr website has pictures, all the selections of color - much more than I can type...going to a mfr website is logical...it''s not attitude...

Logical? Sure, but they still asked a question and you just pointed them to the site. If anything, at least link them to it and/or try to answer their question. It just seems odd to type out "Google this, look there, blah, blah, blah" when you could have easily answered it. I only mentioned this since this isn't the first time I've seen you answer someone with that "go find it yourself" attitude.

Oh well, it wasn't me asking the question and I actually took the time to answer it for them so all is well.

pat park

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2011
California
i'm using an eBay copy smart cover. It works and basically gets the job done. The typing position is not as stable as the Apple version. But it's close enough and looks good.

Smart cover copy on eBay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/350663435266?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

I'm going back and forth between naked and back case. Just ordered one of these for the back:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/14089737464...eName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

Mulling a matte back skin also.

TyPod

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Nice combo! This is what I'm considering going with. :)

I love it! Not too concerned about the back getting scratched, since I plan to use my mini for quite some time and not re-sell. The Smart Cover is wonderful for protecting the screen, propping the iPad up in landscape, and I think it looks pretty sick.

TyPod

macrumors 68000
Nov 2, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Same here. The only thing I am not sure about is getting a sleeve or not. Do you have one? Also, is your iPad black or white?

A sleeve would be great to have, especially if you're going to travel a lot with your iPad in a bag. Luckily, i have a nice pocket in my backpack where my iPad fits perfectly, so I don't find the need for a sleeve. Seen some really cool ones on here though!

I have a white iPad Mini with a red Smart Cover.

Suspended
Mar 15, 2008
smartcover+ coverbuddy - cover never comes off accidentally....

I had this same setup and at first I loved it. I really do like the coverbuddy! But the Smart Cover...it was constantly coming off when I didn't want it to when folded back. Perhaps mine was defective. I also found the typing angle a little too low. But I'm using the Versacover now and I really love it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.