Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Serban

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 8, 2013
Im new with this device so, i understand that you can use it with your TV for internet/photos/movies/music, but my question is can you use to watch tv channels?

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Im new with this device so, i understand that you can use it with your TV for internet/photos/movies/music, but my question is can you use to watch tv channels?

No, not exactly. It is not like a cable box, but you can watch many popular TV shows through iTunes, Netflix and Hulu on the device.

designs216

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2009
Down the rabbit hole
It's a streaming appliance like Roku. The Apple TV works with iTunes and certain other internet streaming services and outputs to your TV. Basically, you rent/buy the content and it plays through the ATV. Older models had onboard storage and was more the size of the Airport Extreme. The current model is cheaper, smaller and has no internal storage.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
You can also airplay from any your Mac or iOS device (although not older ones). This is what I use mine for. Streaming content rather than buying it. Also useful for sharing photos with relatives when they come round.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.