Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spikeywan

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 11, 2012
Is there any kind of app for the Mac and/or iPad for reading forums that allows you to select which forums and threads that you are interested in?

On another site, I'm interested in all the forums and threads, so I login, click on 'New Posts' and work my way through everything.

However on this and several other sites, there are a lot of forums that I'm not interested in at all, so it would be nice to have a 'New Posts' button that only checks for new posts in the forums I'm interested in, and the icing to the cake would be if I could tell it which threads I'm not interested in and have it exclude them from the results, too.

Is there anything that allows you to do this?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Is there any kind of app for the Mac and/or iPad for reading forums that allows you to select which forums and threads that you are interested in?

On another site, I'm interested in all the forums and threads, so I login, click on 'New Posts' and work my way through everything.

However on this and several other sites, there are a lot of forums that I'm not interested in at all, so it would be nice to have a 'New Posts' button that only checks for new posts in the forums I'm interested in, and the icing to the cake would be if I could tell it which threads I'm not interested in and have it exclude them from the results, too.

Is there anything that allows you to do this?

You can use Forum Spy which is linked at the top of forum pages, to track new posts as they occur. While viewing Forum Spy, click Preferences at the top left of the listing to select which forums you want to view.
ScreenCap 2013-02-02 at Sat, Feb 2,12.41.08 PM .PNG
As for recent posts, you can modify the following, listing forums that you want to exclude, then save it in a bookmark.

Code:
https://forums.macrumors.com/search/?do=getdaily&exclude=1,4,6,8,11

To locate forum numbers, go to the Forum listing and mouse over a forum link. The number will appear in the Safari status bar at the bottom.
ScreenCap 2013-02-02 at Sat, Feb 2,12.29.58 PM .PNG

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.