Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 15, 2007
I want to take advantage of the Amazon deal this weekend. I'm leaning going with the MBP because I happen to like the classic unibody look and more importantly I like being able to upgrade the laptop in the future without having to send it to Apple.

I've been told on another forum that speed wise the MBA is more responsive than the MBP. Is that because of the SSD in the MBA? If that's the case would installing an SSD in the MBP even out the performance? I noticed the specs are slightly better on the MBP. Anyways i'm confused so I thought i'd ask.

I do like that both have backlit keyboards. :)

Saturn1217

macrumors 65816
Apr 28, 2008
I had a 2009 MBP before I got my MBA.

I bought the MBA because I wanted the portability but honestly there isn't that much of a difference between the two machines and I am currently really missing the ethernet port (I have an adapter but it isn't as stable as just having the port built in)

I upgraded to a SSD in my 2009 MBP before I sold it and it was nearly as fast as the MBA. If you are buying a current MBP (which has a faster SATA interface) it will be just as fast. All you will be losing is the weight.

I would say go for it. upgrading the hard drive on the unibody MBPs is really easy. Just make sure you get the right screwdrivers.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 15, 2007
Thanks for the info :)

Yeah I wasn't aware of the lack of ethernet port. That's not so much a problem for me as I have a wireless router. The two things I have against the MBA is upgrade-ability issues and no built in optical drive. I was thinking of getting the 15.4" MBP because of the nvidia 650m but that maybe too big and heavy.

hkim1983

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2009
This all boils down to what you value more in a portable computer:

Do you need:
-HD and Ram expandability options?
-The ability to have 2 HDs in the same machine?
-More I/O ports without adaptors?
-Slightly better color gamut?
-Better keyboard? (My opinion)

If this is the case, than the cMBP is for you.

Do you need:
-Increased resolution?
-Lighter weight?

If this is the case, than the MBA is for you.

Rodster

macrumors 68040
Original poster
May 15, 2007
This all boils down to what you value more in a portable computer:

Do you need:
-HD and Ram expandability options?
-The ability to have 2 HDs in the same machine?
-More I/O ports without adaptors?
-Slightly better color gamut?
-Better keyboard? (My opinion)

If this is the case, than the cMBP is for you.

Do you need:
-Increased resolution?
-Lighter weight?

If this is the case, than the MBA is for you.

Based on your information it's definitely the cMBP. :)

hkim1983

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2009
Based on your information it's definitely the cMBP. :)

That's funny, because I'm seriously considering going to Air just for the resolution increase, lol. I will miss the keyboard though (I feel that the Air keyboards are too shallow, and thus don't give good feedback, just my opinion though). I can actually live without the other things on my MBP.

JoelBC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
That's funny, because I'm seriously considering going to Air just for the resolution increase, lol. I will miss the keyboard though (I feel that the Air keyboards are too shallow, and thus don't give good feedback, just my opinion though). I can actually live without the other things on my MBP.

This is exactly why I went the Air and am very happy I did...no regrets here...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.