Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > iCloud and Apple Services

Old Feb 2, 2013, 02:55 PM   #1
RDAR
macrumors regular

Does iTunes Match use up alot of bandwidth to upload when you first subscribe

I have around 135GB of music in my library. Will iTunes Match even be enough to hold that much, I'm a little confused cause its only $27.99 a year. Is that for unlimited storage? And if it does upload the 135GB of music to the cloud would that take up my bandwidth at home? I'm only on a 125GB internet plan with Bell >
RDAR is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 08:27 PM   #2
iDuel
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDAR View Post
I have around 135GB of music in my library. Will iTunes Match even be enough to hold that much, I'm a little confused cause its only $27.99 a year. Is that for unlimited storage? And if it does upload the 135GB of music to the cloud would that take up my bandwidth at home? I'm only on a 125GB internet plan with Bell >
iTunes match is not unlimited. 25,000 songs is the max that iTunes will match for you. In the beginning, iTunes Match will take up a considerable amount of bandwidth as it is uploading all of your songs to the cloud to be matched.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 12:35 AM   #3
mgipe
macrumors Demi-God

As I understand it, it only needs to upload those songs which are not already in its extensive library. Hence the name "match."
mgipe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 02:54 AM   #4
HazyCloud
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDuel View Post
iTunes match is not unlimited. 25,000 songs is the max that iTunes will match for you. In the beginning, iTunes Match will take up a considerable amount of bandwidth as it is uploading all of your songs to the cloud to be matched.
No, iTM does not upload all of your songs. It only uploads the ones it can't match.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgipe View Post
As I understand it, it only needs to upload those songs which are not already in its extensive library. Hence the name "match."
This is partially correct. Out of my 15,000 songs, iTunes Match only uploaded about 1000 of them. Only the songs that iTM can't match will be uploaded. Some may be in the store, but that doesn't mean they'll be matched.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 04:57 AM   #5
chenks
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgipe View Post
not strictly true.
it'll uploaded anything it can't successfully match.
i have numerous tracks that are in the itunes store but for some bizarre reason it's not able to match - and usually this is 1 track from an album where it matched the rest of the tracks.
chenks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:11 PM   #6
RDAR
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by chenks View Post
not strictly true.
it'll uploaded anything it can't successfully match.
i have numerous tracks that are in the itunes store but for some bizarre reason it's not able to match - and usually this is 1 track from an album where it matched the rest of the tracks.
yeah i noticed that some albums had like 1 song unmatched while the rest was matched, it was really weird. but anyway i had like 900 songs that were unmatched and it only took up 2GB on my bandwidth which isnt bad. But I gotta say though it took a while, I think it was like 8-10 hours before it finished uploading.
RDAR is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > iCloud and Apple Services