Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davidoloan

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 28, 2009
Using the Apple TV3 setting in Handbrake, the DVD's from this series come out slightly blurred and very jerky (using the Apple TV3 setting which normally works fine). I am using Handbrake on an .iso copy I made of the DVD.

The latest Handbrake does a better job with them than earlier versions but they are still jerky.

Does anybody know how to make a good version?

MaseratiHandbrakei_zps78abdfad.png

MaseratiHanbrakeii_zpse9707487.png

MaseratiHandbrakeiv_zpsbde4db62.png

Maseratihandbrakeiii_zps67e2c4f0.png

Last edited:

davidoloan

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 28, 2009
I edited the post above to show Handbrake screenshots.

All I have done in the pictures is select the Apple TV3 setting.

The only other interesting thing I noticed was that I can make an iPod version that plays perfectly on the iPod.

Can anybody see anything wrong that I am missing?

davidoloan

Suspended
Original poster
Apr 28, 2009
I just noticed that if I select the iPod setting on Handbrake its sets the Framerate to same as source, but if I select Apple TV3 it sets the Framerate to 30 when the source frame is stated as 25.

Handbrake makes a version that plays properly on the iPod; not jerky.

I have never had an issue with Framerates. Is this something to look at?

https://trac.handbrake.fr/wiki/FramerateGuide

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
I just noticed that if I select the iPod setting on Handbrake its sets the Framerate to same as source, but if I select Apple TV3 it sets the Framrate to 30 when the source frame is stated as 25.

Handbrake makes a version that plays properly on the iPod; not jerky.

I have never had an issue with Framerates. Is this something to look at?
The framerate of 30 you see is a maximum framerate to match the aTV maximum allowable frame rate spec. It is still variable framerate, same as source.

KevinC867

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2007
Saratoga, CA
The framerate of 25 suggests that the DVDs were in European (PAL) format. Were they also interlaced? What filter settings did you use? Decomb?

I recall that I have had poor results going the other direction - playing a rip of an interlaced NTSC video (30 fps) on a PAL CRT television. I can't remember at this point if I found a way to get acceptable results.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.