Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Jan 30, 2013, 01:52 PM   #1
AnTaR3s
macrumors member

ATV high bit-rate 1080p and resolution concerns

Hi

I always played with the thought of getting and ATV to get my HD content from my iTunes library to my TV.

However, I have a major concern.

When I try to stream some movies to my iPad via iTunes, the video gets stuck. I do not if this is due to bandwidth issues or if my iPad (3rd Gen) can't cope with high bit-rate content. Now I am worried that when I buy an ATV, also this device won't be able to play my content because it lacks the power. The ATV would get a wired connection anyway, so there can't be any problem with bandwidth.

I am sure many of you have experience with streaming high quality stuff to your ATV, so I had hoped you could share your experience.

Also, my Flatscreen is 6 years old and has 1366x768 resolution and supposedly should support HD resolutions (there is this HD ready sign on it). Is this a problem for the ATV?

thanks
Antares
AnTaR3s is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 02:55 AM   #2
AnTaR3s
macrumors member

No hint?
Old Feb 9, 2013, 04:56 AM   #3
Pyromonkey83
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnTaR3s View Post
Also, my Flatscreen is 6 years old and has 1366x768 resolution and supposedly should support HD resolutions (there is this HD ready sign on it). Is this a problem for the ATV?

thanks
Antares
Just an FYI, this resolution means that your TV is 720p, not 1080p. the HD-Ready also means that it likely supports 1080i for incoming Cable signals, but 1080p is a no-go.

Therefore, most of the rest of your post is irrelevant as your content will end up being downscaled anyway. Just to help you out for future use though, I have streamed full 1080p Blu Ray remuxes (between 25-35GB, bitrate of ~25,000kbps or so) and had no issues on my ATV3.

I generally keep my files at about a ~7800 kbps bitrate however, as I find them to be of equal quality to my eyes, and I prefer the space savings. =]
Pyromonkey83 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 09:58 AM   #4
AnTaR3s
macrumors member

Hey

So does this mean that the ATV scales the 1080p content down to the output resolution, or would I just not be able to play my 1080p content (which then makes an ATV completely useless)?

Old Feb 9, 2013, 10:05 AM   #5
waw74
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnTaR3s View Post
Hey

So does this mean that the ATV scales the 1080p content down to the output resolution, or would I just not be able to play my 1080p content (which then makes an ATV completely useless)?

no, it makes your TV completly useless, The aTV will play the files, then you can either
*set the aTV to 720 output, and the aTV will do the downscaling
or
*set the aTV to 1080 output if your TV will support it, and the TV will downscale.
waw74 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 01:22 PM   #6
Pyromonkey83
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by waw74 View Post
no, it makes your TV completly useless
I found this hilarious.

(his post is also correct)
Pyromonkey83 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater