Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Feb 2, 2013, 09:08 PM   #1
Paulshaqz
macrumors 6502

question: thinking of buying a cell booster

so i'm thinking of buying a cell booster for my home for voice and data i know most of em don't cover lte yet but would i really need the lte amplifier right now i'm running a 4s and planning on switching to an iphone 5 but main question is do they really work if anyone on this forum uses them i would be much appreciated on all this info thanks in advance.
Paulshaqz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 09:47 PM   #2
eyoungren
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to eyoungren Send a message via MSN to eyoungren Send a message via Yahoo to eyoungren Send a message via Skype™ to eyoungren
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulshaqz View Post
so i'm thinking of buying a cell booster for my home for voice and data i know most of em don't cover lte yet but would i really need the lte amplifier right now i'm running a 4s and planning on switching to an iphone 5 but main question is do they really work if anyone on this forum uses them i would be much appreciated on all this info thanks in advance.
I've got a Sprint Airave, which is a femtocell. That's probably what you're thinking of. Sprint gave it to me free because the signal at home is crap (even though my old WinMo phone was fine). I had them expand the coverage so I'm still able to connect to it outside. It seems to have taken care of dropped calls and weak signal for my i5. My wife is still on her WinMo phone so is also able to take advantage. I haven't heard any complaints so I guess it's working for her.

I don't know what carrier you're with, but the Airave hooks into my internet connection. The package included a GPS module with a very long cable. You have to put the module near a window so the Airave can get a GPS signal. And your internet connection has to be a certain speed for it to work. Hooking it up was a PITA, but once I discovered that tossing out all the directions and then just plugging it into my internet switch was the way to go everything was fine. My i5 already rides my wifi at home so that's a separate issue. I've switched WiFi off and it's just impossible to do anything even with the Airave. I'm with Sprint and my area (Phoenix) doesn't have 4G yet, so getting this out of Sprint for free (the unit, activation, and monthly charge) was my way of equalizing things. They charge me an additional $10/month now just because I have an iPhone 5, but I'm not paying for the Airave or TEP (Total Equipment Protection) so I actually come out ahead.
eyoungren is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 06:56 AM   #3
Paulshaqz
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyoungren View Post
I've got a Sprint Airave, which is a femtocell. That's probably what you're thinking of. Sprint gave it to me free because the signal at home is crap (even though my old WinMo phone was fine). I had them expand the coverage so I'm still able to connect to it outside. It seems to have taken care of dropped calls and weak signal for my i5. My wife is still on her WinMo phone so is also able to take advantage. I haven't heard any complaints so I guess it's working for her.

I don't know what carrier you're with, but the Airave hooks into my internet connection. The package included a GPS module with a very long cable. You have to put the module near a window so the Airave can get a GPS signal. And your internet connection has to be a certain speed for it to work. Hooking it up was a PITA, but once I discovered that tossing out all the directions and then just plugging it into my internet switch was the way to go everything was fine. My i5 already rides my wifi at home so that's a separate issue. I've switched WiFi off and it's just impossible to do anything even with the Airave. I'm with Sprint and my area (Phoenix) doesn't have 4G yet, so getting this out of Sprint for free (the unit, activation, and monthly charge) was my way of equalizing things. They charge me an additional $10/month now just because I have an iPhone 5, but I'm not paying for the Airave or TEP (Total Equipment Protection) so I actually come out ahead.
i'm with At&T i have the microcell it works ok with my 4s but i had the iphone 5 for a few days i loved the phone but was not impressed with the service, because of the fact i wasn't getting good reception and not seeing huge lte speeds. i'm also not paying for the microcell they gave it to me since i been with them since 2007 and i complained about service ever since.
Paulshaqz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 09:17 AM   #4
Mrfatboy
macrumors regular

I have a Verizon network extender (femtocell) that works great with my iPhone 4S and 5. It supports 3G data. If you call Verizon they can even boost the device's power if need be.
Mrfatboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 11:40 AM   #5
eyoungren
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to eyoungren Send a message via MSN to eyoungren Send a message via Yahoo to eyoungren Send a message via Skype™ to eyoungren
Quote:
i'm with At&T i have the microcell it works ok with my 4s but i had the iphone 5 for a few days i loved the phone but was not impressed with the service, because of the fact i wasn't getting good reception and not seeing huge lte speeds. i'm also not paying for the microcell they gave it to me since i been with them since 2007 and i complained about service ever since.
Yeah, that pretty much sums up my Airave. Free, works OK. Only for 3G. Can't use mine for data as 3G still sucks for that so I'm riding my wifi at home (and work).

Not sure how it works on AT&T and Verizon, but with Sprint the only thing they can do is increase the range, not the power.
eyoungren is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 12:10 PM   #6
bohbot16
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I've found that the AT&T MicroCell works better if you can put it close to the spot in your house with the worst reception to the tower.
bohbot16 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone