Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Which of the many apps available are you using to rip DVDs (copyrighted or other) to your Mac for playing in iTunes or other player?

Handbrake needs help with copyrights. I have seen ads for MacX Ripper Pro and Mac Ripper Pro and a few others.

What say ye?

Snowy_River

macrumors 68030
Jul 17, 2002
Corvallis, OR
I have rarely ever had an issue with Handbrake. And on the couple of occasions when I have, I was able to download a nightly that handled the movie. (I think that there was one movie a number of years ago that I had to wait three days until the nightly took care of the issue with ripping it. I don't remember what movie it was, though.)

One thing that I frequently do with Handbrake is to start the movie in DVD Player, check the title being played, then use the 'open specific title' in Handbrake to avoid an issue that seems to be associated with attempting to read certain tracks, like poison pills.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Which of the many apps available are you using to rip DVDs (copyrighted or other) to your Mac for playing in iTunes or other player?

Handbrake needs help with copyrights. I have seen ads for MacX Ripper Pro and Mac Ripper Pro and a few others.

What say ye?
Easiest, least expensive route is using MakeMKV (free while in beta) to decrypt, then take the resulting mkv into HB. Works every time and it's all free.

LoneWolfUSMC

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2012
Southern Indiana
Anyone know where i can download the libdvdcss.pkg package?

It doesn't seem to be on the VLC site anymore. All links point to 404 errors.

I am just not smart enough to compile it myself.

Just setting my MacBook up to replace my PC and this is the first speedbump I have run into.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Anyone know where i can download the libdvdcss.pkg package?

It doesn't seem to be on the VLC site anymore. All links point to 404 errors.

I am just not smart enough to compile it myself.

Just setting my MacBook up to replace my PC and this is the first speedbump I have run into.

I just uploaded my copy for you here.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.