Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Feb 2, 2013, 11:18 PM   #1
gnomeguardian
macrumors newbie

If I get an Iphone 4 from verizon, is it possible to have IOS 5.x not 6?

As the title says-I am receiving a free white iPhone 4 from Verizon because I am eligible for an upgrade. Is there any way for me to boot it up out of the box with out it being IOS 6-this is because my friends tell me personally how their iPhone 4 has less battery life and is slightly less responsive. Also I look to get an untethered jailbreak.
Any help is welcome, and I have scoured google and can't find relevant specific to my situation.
THANK YOU
gnomeguardian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 11:36 PM   #2
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnomeguardian View Post
As the title says-I am receiving a free white iPhone 4 from Verizon because I am eligible for an upgrade. Is there any way for me to boot it up out of the box with out it being IOS 6-this is because my friends tell me personally how their iPhone 4 has less battery life and is slightly less responsive. Also I look to get an untethered jailbreak.
Any help is welcome, and I have scoured google and can't find relevant specific to my situation.
THANK YOU
I doubt it will come pre-installed with anything below 6.0, but you never know.
They wont update it when they activate it but its not like you can give it back and look for another firmware version.
But within a day or so there will be an untethered JB for 6.1 so why not go with that.
Applejuiced is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 11:42 PM   #3
gnomeguardian
macrumors newbie

Yeah
I'm pretty much running into dead ends
I'm fine at this point with an untethered Jailbreak for 6.1, but my main concern is battery life and responsiveness
I have an iPod touch 4g right now running an untethered jailbreak on 5.0.1 and it's heaps slower than when it was on a 4.3.2 untethered JB.
So what I'm getting at is each new ios is basically slowing down older apple models to convince me to get the latest and greatest one.
gnomeguardian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 11:45 PM   #4
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

If you're so concerned with speed then why are you purchasing an almost 3 year old device?
Put in a little money and get a 4S or even better an iphone 5 before you lock yourself into a device for the next 2 years.
You wont have any issues with responsiveness with an i5.
Applejuiced is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 11:45 PM   #5
irDigital0l

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnomeguardian View Post
So what I'm getting at is each new ios is basically slowing down older apple models to convince me to get the latest and greatest one.
iOS 6.1 hasn't slowed down my iPhone 4 (Verizon) at all.

It probably has to do with the jailbreak, not the actual iOS update.
irDigital0l is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 11:56 PM   #6
Chris092881
In Time-Out

Ante up the extra dough and go with the 5 as Juiced said. My boss has an iPhone 4 and side by side with my 5 there's no comparison looks, feel, or performance wise.
Chris092881 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 12:03 AM   #7
AlphaDogg
macrumors 68040

I concur. Comparing my friend's VZW iPhone 4 to my AT&T iPhone 5, everything seems laggier.
AlphaDogg is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 12:06 AM   #8
wordoflife
macrumors 604

Considering that iOS 6 has been out for months, I doubt it. But when you go to the store, if you do, ask them to see if they can find a box with the Google Maps icon on it. I'm sure the new iPhone 4 boxes do not have the Google Maps icon. It doesn't mean it will have iOS 5, but you might be lucky.

I'd really suggest getting an iPhone 4S, if not the 5 unless you're planning on just using the default apps on your phone. The obsolete hardware, limited storage, and somewhat poor performance of iOS 6 makes the device frustrating to use. If you don't upgrade to iOS 6, your phone will be wasting almost 1GB (out of the 6.5GB or so available space) by predownloading the update. And you can't prevent it from doing so.

Last edited by wordoflife; Feb 3, 2013 at 12:11 AM.
wordoflife is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 12:07 AM   #9
Battlefield Fan
Banned

I had my iPhone 4 for two years and even though I only used iOS 6 on it for a couple of weeks compared to the year with iOS 5 I didn't notice any difference. I'd go with iOS 6 if I were you.
Battlefield Fan is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone