Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 9, 2008
This may not be the best forum to ask this but I figured the people here change phones often so maybe someone has had this happen. September of last year is when I joined my fiancé's AT&T plan and we made it a share plan. That day I got a Galaxy S3. Then on October 1st I brought the S3 back and got an iPhone 5. A few weeks ago I used her upgrade and got a Note 2. Her upgrade status correctly says that she isn't eligible but my status says that I am eligible for an upgrade. When I went to use her upgrade at Best Buy the guy told me that my line had an upgrade but I used her's assuming that it was just a bug and it would be corrected. Weeks later my line still shows an upgrade. Has anyone had this happen? If I go and upgrade again and AT&T catches it can I just bring the phone back so I don't get charged?

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 9, 2008
I checked Best Buy's upgrade checker and it shows my contract end date as 09/02/14 which is 2 years from when I last upgraded but it still says that I can upgrade. AT&T's upgrade checker also says that I can upgrade. I guess I will have to ask AT&T.

hyteckit

Jul 29, 2007
Me.

I think it's because their system treats iPhones differently from other smartphones.

I have a iPhone 4S and upgrade to Note 2. My account shows my new 2 year contract.

However, it still shows I am eligible for an iPhone upgrade in a few months.

I'm not going to let AT&T know. I'm just going to upgrade to a new iPhone when it comes out this year.

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 9, 2008
Me.

I think it's because their system treats iPhones differently from other smartphones.

I have a iPhone 4S and upgrade to Note 2. My account shows my new 2 year contract.

However, it still shows I am eligible for an iPhone upgrade in a few months.

I'm not going to let AT&T know. I'm just going to upgrade to a new iPhone when it comes out this year.

That's what I wanted to do. I wasn't going to go and tell AT&T that I already upgraded I was just going to ask if I had one. Best Buy is offering a $50 gift card if you register by Feb 9 and upgrade (with a 2 yr contract) between Feb 10 - Dec 31. So I'm going to get my fiance a new phone because her phone has turned to crap since I used her upgrade.

chris2k5

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2010
NO DON'T ASK THEM.

If they say you have an upgrade and it was their mistake, you just use it.
In the end it is a win-win for you (you get your phone) and AT&T (they keep you for another 1-2 years).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.