Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 3, 2013, 02:20 PM   #51
juanm
macrumors 65816
 
juanm's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Send a message via MSN to juanm Send a message via Skype™ to juanm
The thing I don't understand, is how gun owners/CC behave when they are, say, at home. Do they carry them on all the time, or are they in a safe? Because those who want to get inside the house will, eventually: they could, for instance, simply wait for you to get in the shower. You cannot simply rely on just having a gun for your safety.
juanm is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 02:25 PM   #52
citizenzen
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric/ View Post
I think it sucks that somebody who has helped end the lives of insurgents and evil doers in the service of his country.
"Evil doers"?



I think you give the guy too much credit.

Somebody told him, "You shoot this guy over there."

And he did as ordered.
citizenzen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 02:29 PM   #53
glocke12
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by juanm View Post
The thing I don't understand, is how gun owners/CC behave when they are, say, at home. Do they carry them on all the time, or are they in a safe? Because those who want to get inside the house will, eventually: they could, for instance, simply wait for you to get in the shower. You cannot simply rely on just having a gun for your safety.
Some carry at home all the time. Guys I know that live in more suburban areas do this.

I live in a rural area, so don't feel the need to carry at home all the time, but I am never more than 5 seconds away from a loaded firearm.
glocke12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 02:30 PM   #54
eric/
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Ohio, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenzen View Post
"Evil doers"?



I think you give the guy too much credit.

Somebody told him, "You shoot this guy over there."

And he did as ordered.
Yeah, and he killed evil doers.
eric/ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 02:32 PM   #55
glocke12
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happybunny View Post
I never said that, you are trying to put words into my mouth.
All I was saying you would think that a man who had written the book on tactical shooting, would be far more careful.
When you are with someone you think you can trust you tend to let your guard down.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenzen View Post
"Evil doers"?



I think you give the guy too much credit.

Somebody told him, "You shoot this guy over there."

And he did as ordered.
Maybe you should read his book before opening your mouth. The majority of his shots were taken while protecting US troops (shooting guys actively engaged in combat, setting IEDs, etc.).
glocke12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 02:37 PM   #56
Happybunny
Thread Starter
macrumors 68000
 
Happybunny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: 's-Hertogenbosch Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by glocke12 View Post
When you are with someone you think you can trust you tend to let your guard down.

----------


.
As my old instructor in the military once said don't think, but know because your life depends on it

Last edited by Happybunny; Feb 3, 2013 at 02:44 PM.
Happybunny is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 03:08 PM   #57
zioxide
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric/ View Post
But you are punishing people who have never done anything wrong. There is no getting around that. People die and are murdered for all sorts of reasons, but we don't consistently ban everything that kills people.
Sorry, but this "punishment" argument is just pathetic.

Quote:
Being selfish is good, and the greater good matters not.
Well at least you have the balls to admit you're selfish and don't care about anyone else but yourself. I'll give you credit for that because most people wouldn't admit that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric/ View Post
Yeah, and he killed evil doers.
If you ask the Iraqi people they'll say he was the evil doer. It all depends on your perspective. They would call this karma.
zioxide is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 03:13 PM   #58
citizenzen
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by glocke12 View Post
Maybe you should read his book before opening your mouth. The majority of his shots were taken while protecting US troops (shooting guys actively engaged in combat, setting IEDs, etc.).
Sorry glocke, but you need to think about the morality of the situation.

The U.S. military and our sniper is occupying a people, many of whom aren't too happy to be under the thumb of a foreign army. So of course you have people fighting against that occupier.

Does that make them evil?

If China occupied the U.S., I imagine that a number of you gun owners believe you'd defend this nation against the invaders. If China had a sniper who picked off Americans who were shooting back at the Chinese, or setting off IEDs against Chinese tanks and convoys, would that Chinese sniper be combating "evil doers"?
citizenzen is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 03:18 PM   #59
eric/
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Ohio, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by zioxide View Post
Sorry, but this "punishment" argument is just pathetic.
Why?


Quote:
Originally Posted by zioxide View Post
Well at least you have the balls to admit you're selfish and don't care about anyone else but yourself. I'll give you credit for that because most people wouldn't admit that.
Being selfish isn't a bad thing. For example, I'm going to do something nice for my girlfriend for Valentines day, despite how much I hate that day and don't want to participate. I'm doing it for her, but it makes her happy, which makes me happy, which means I'm acting in my own self interest.


Quote:
Originally Posted by zioxide View Post
If you ask the Iraqi people they'll say he was the evil doer. It all depends on your perspective.
I wasn't aware the Iraqi people had a consensus vote on any such matter.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenzen View Post
Sorry glocke, but you need to think about the morality of the situation.

The U.S. military and our sniper is occupying a people, many of whom aren't too happy to be under the thumb of a foreign army. So of course you have people fighting against that occupier.

Does that make them evil?

If China occupied the U.S., I imagine that a number of you gun owners believe you'd defend this nation against the invaders. If China had a sniper who picked off Americans who were shooting back at the Chinese, or setting off IEDs against Chinese tanks and convoys, would that Chinese sniper be combating "evil doers"?
If the US government was the same as the Taliban, I'd welcome the Chinese with open arms.
eric/ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 03:20 PM   #60
glocke12
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenzen View Post
Sorry glocke, but you need to think about the morality of the situation.

The U.S. military and our sniper is occupying a people, many of whom aren't too happy to be under the thumb of a foreign army. So of course you have people fighting against that occupier.

Does that make them evil?

If China occupied the U.S., I imagine that a number of you gun owners believe you'd defend this nation against the invaders. If China had a sniper who picked off Americans who were shooting back at the Chinese, or setting off IEDs against convoys, would that Chinese sniper be combating "evil doers"?
To be honest, I don't care about the morality of the situation. Yes I just said that.

Guy was saving the lives of American troops..thats all I care about. Whether we should, or should not have been there in the first place is another topic entirely and one I am not interested in having as it is not all that relevant to this thread.

Also, if I were living under the shadow of regime ruled by an evil and cruel dictator I would probably welcome the Chinese.
glocke12 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 03:26 PM   #61
citizenzen
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric/ View Post
Being selfish is good, and the greater good matters not.
And you call yourself a liberal?!



Nice try.
citizenzen is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 03:28 PM   #62
eric/
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Ohio, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenzen View Post
And you call yourself a liberal?!



Nice try.
Yup. I'm a liberal. I align with liberal ideologies, in respect to the government.

Those policies that I support, I do so in my own self interest.
eric/ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 03:29 PM   #63
citizenzen
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by glocke12 View Post
To be honest, I don't care about the morality of the situation.
So now we've heard that selfishness is good and morality isn't something to be considered.

This is really quite a revealing thread.

But not in a good way.
citizenzen is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 03:32 PM   #64
glocke12
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenzen View Post
So now we've heard that selfishness is good and morality isn't something to be considered.

This is really quite a revealing thread.

But not in a good way.
Bottom line is Id rather see those who are taking US troops lives get killed as opposed to US troops doing the dying.
At least I am being blunt and honest and not hiding behind words that insinuate he got what he deserved.
glocke12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 03:42 PM   #65
citizenzen
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by glocke12 View Post
Bottom line is Id rather see those who are taking US troops lives get killed as opposed to US troops doing the dying.
At least I am being blunt and honest and not hiding behind words that insinuate he got what he deserved.
I did not insinuate that Kyle got what he deserved.

I questioned eric/'s assertion that he was killing "evil doers".

Kyle may have been able to hit a target at 1000 yards, but I doubt he was able to weigh and judge the quality of their souls.

That's giving him a little too much credit.
citizenzen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 03:44 PM   #66
glocke12
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenzen View Post
I did not insinuate that Kyle got what he deserved.

I questioned eric/'s assertion that he was killing "evil doers".

Kyle may have been able to hit a target at 1000 yards, but I doubt he was able to weigh and judge the quality of their souls.

That's giving him a little too much credit.
you need to read his book. he had specific ROE's he had to follow. The main one was that anyone he shot had to be posing a clear threat to US service members. This means he was only allowed to shoot people who were armed and either were, or looked like they were going to engage soldiers.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#axzz2Js4Vh0rV
glocke12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 03:46 PM   #67
zioxide
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric/ View Post
Why?
Are you being punished because you can't text while driving? Because you can't drink a bottle of whiskey then go run down main street butt naked? Because you can't go down on Wall street and start lighting off fireworks everywhere?


Quote:
Being selfish isn't a bad thing. For example, I'm going to do something nice for my girlfriend for Valentines day, despite how much I hate that day and don't want to participate. I'm doing it for her, but it makes her happy, which makes me happy, which means I'm acting in my own self interest.
Like I said, at least you admit you're selfish. It's pretty disgusting that more and more people are beginning to think this way though.

Gone are the days of caring about our fellow human beings. If it doesn't benefit me, then **** everyone else right? It's not like you rely on anyone else in society to live your life or anything.


Quote:
I wasn't aware the Iraqi people had a consensus vote on any such matter.
I must have missed the memo that made our lives more valuable than theirs just because we are American.


Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenzen View Post
Sorry glocke, but you need to think about the morality of the situation.

The U.S. military and our sniper is occupying a people, many of whom aren't too happy to be under the thumb of a foreign army. So of course you have people fighting against that occupier.
If we are going to live by this mentality than our founding fathers would also be considered "evil doers".
zioxide is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 03:47 PM   #68
citizenzen
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by glocke12 View Post
This means he was only allowed to shoot people who were armed and either were, or looked like they were going to engage soldiers.
And that makes them evil?
citizenzen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 03:48 PM   #69
eric/
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Ohio, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by zioxide View Post
Are you being punished because you can't text while driving? Because you can't drink a bottle of whiskey then go run down main street butt naked? Because you can't go down on Wall street and start lighting off fireworks everywhere?
All of those things are on public property.



Quote:
Originally Posted by zioxide View Post
Like I said, at least you admit you're selfish. It's pretty disgusting that more and more people are beginning to think this way though.
Why is it disgusting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zioxide View Post
Gone are the days of caring about our fellow human beings. If it doesn't benefit me, then **** everyone else right? It's not like you rely on anyone else in society to live your life or anything.



Quote:
Originally Posted by zioxide View Post

I must have missed the memo that made our lives more valuable than theirs just because we are American.
What does that have to do with what you said?
eric/ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 03:52 PM   #70
glocke12
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenzen View Post
And that makes them evil?
I never said they were evil, and truth be told had I been in their place I may very well have been the person behind the rocket launcher. that said I still would not want to see US troops killed...

however lets just be blunt. what would you rather have? Dead US soldiers or dead Islamist radicals ? "neither" is not an option.
glocke12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 03:54 PM   #71
zioxide
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric/ View Post
All of those things are on public property.
What does that have to do with anything?


Quote:
Why is it disgusting?
Because you depend on other people every day to live your life yet you couldn't care less about them?


Quote:
What does that have to do with what you said?
I said if you ask the Iraqi people their opinion then the foreign sniper who was occupying their country and killing their fellow countrymen would be the "evil doer".

To which you responded "I wasn't aware the Iraqi people had a consensus vote on any such matter.", insinuating that their opinion didn't matter and you were right just because you are an American.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glocke12 View Post
I never said they were evil, and truth be told had I been in their place I may very well have been the person behind the rocket launcher. that said I still would not want to see US troops killed...

however lets just be blunt. what would you rather have? Dead US soldiers or dead Islamist radicals ? "neither" is not an option.
I'll take the dead US troops. Maybe it would make our leaders think twice before invading a foreign, soverign nation solely to protect the interests and enhance the bank accounts of our big oil and military contracting companies.

/devils advocate
zioxide is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 03:56 PM   #72
eric/
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Ohio, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by zioxide View Post
What does that have to do with anything?
Public property, public rules.

Private property, my rules.



Quote:
Originally Posted by zioxide View Post
Because you depend on other people every day to live your life yet you couldn't care less about them?
Did you know that you can be selfish and care about people?



Quote:
Originally Posted by zioxide View Post
I said if you ask the Iraqi people their opinion then the foreign sniper who was occupying their country and killing their fellow countrymen would be the "evil doer".

To which you responded "I wasn't aware the Iraqi people had a consensus vote on any such matter.", insinuating that their opinion didn't matter and you were right just because you are an American.
No, that's incorrect. You stated that the Iraqi people all believed the sniper was an evil doer, without any sort of substantial evidence indicating that Iraqi people think any such thing.
eric/ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 03:59 PM   #73
anonymouslurker
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by zioxide View Post
...I'll take the dead US troops....
Talk about ****ing disgusting...
anonymouslurker is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 04:00 PM   #74
zioxide
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric/ View Post
Public property, public rules.

Private property, my rules.
That's all well and good if your gun never leaves your private property, but that's not always the case.


Quote:
Did you know that you can be selfish and care about people?
And you can also help and care about other people without thinking about your own self interests.


Quote:
No, that's incorrect. You stated that the Iraqi people all believed the sniper was an evil doer, without any sort of substantial evidence indicating that Iraqi people think any such thing.
Shooting at and detonating IEDs to attempt to kill occupying troops isn't substantial evidence?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouslurker View Post
Talk about ****ing disgusting...
lol. whatever you say bud. you miss the devils advocate part? Just trying to make you guys think outside of the sheltered American viewpoints on here.

One human's life isn't worth more than another human's life just because they are a member of the American military. That's the mentality that's actually disgusting.
zioxide is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 04:00 PM   #75
rdowns
macrumors Penryn
 
rdowns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by eric/ View Post
You can't take this one instance of somebody getting shot in the back as "proof" that nobody can ever use a firearm defensively.
It fun watching you contort to try and justify every gun killing that comes up in PRSI.

Where has it been reported they were shot in the back? Or are you just contorting again to try and justify the gun killing?
rdowns is offline   1 Reply With Quote


Reply
MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Message not found" text from unknown (with screen shot) rrandyy iPhone 17 May 4, 2013 01:55 AM
"American Wallpaper USA Themes...50% Launch Sale!" iglobal123 iPhone and iPod touch Apps 0 Jul 1, 2012 01:35 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:01 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC