Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
I am signed into my Apple TV (3rd gen) with my Apple ID, but I don't want my photo stream to show up on my Apple TV.

I have turned on parental controls. The only thing I want to restrict is the photostream, so in parental controls I have set that to hide and I have set everything else to show/allow/no restriction.

parental controls 1 cropped.jpg
Parental controls 2 cropped.jpg

As expected. This causes photostream to get hidden and it cannot be unhidden without entering the parental control passcode. Good.

However, it also causes me to require the parental control passcode every time I view a trailer or rent a movie. This is undesired. Can anyone clarify why I am being asked for passcode when accessing the iTunes movies store even though I (think I) have setup parental controls so that this will should not be required?

institute

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2012
Appears to be a bug that appeared first, for me, with the 5.1.1 update and continues on with 5.2.

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 27, 2011
Appears to be a bug that appeared first, for me, with the 5.1.1 update and continues on with 5.2.

Thanks for the reply. Good that its a bug rather than normal behaviour, I suppose. Has this issue been discussed elsewhere, or have you just noticed it yourself?

institute

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2012
It is my experience and I have tested it fairly extensively. It was also mentioned by others in a thread here after 5.1.1 came out. With the earlier version there were even further complications such as not being able to hide iTunes Match with parental controls on. That appears to be fixed but the request for pass code for rated material even if you you set the app not to ask is still an issue.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.