Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Quotenfrau

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 6, 2011
Are my old Mac and iOS devices supported by Time Capsule?

• MacBook with Mac OS X Version 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard)
  • MacBook with Mac OS X Version 10.5.8 (Leopard)
  • iPad 2G
  • iPhone 2G

In Mac Buyers guide there is no section about Time Capsule. Is now a good time to buy new Time Capsule?

What about privacy? If my MacBook Air will send pr0n to Time Capsule, will my wife be able to see it? Howto protect my privacy?

I read in MacWorld that you can use Time Capsule as normal NAS. Can you protect those files with access rights? That my wife can't browse NAS folders?

How does it work backing up iOS devices? Can they connect directly to Time Capsule (without iTunes)?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Are my old Mac and iOS devices supported by Time Capsule?

• MacBook with Mac OS X Version 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard)
  • MacBook with Mac OS X Version 10.5.8 (Leopard)
  • iPad 2G
  • iPhone 2G

Yes... all those devices will work over wifi with the Time Capsule.

In Mac Buyers guide there is no section about Time Capsule. Is now a good time to buy new Time Capsule?

My guess is Apple will come out with new Mac portables that support the new 802.11ac standard mid-year, then at the same time release a new Time Capsule that supports that same standard. None of your current devices support that standard anyway, so no real reason for you to hold out for that.

What about privacy? If my MacBook Air will send pr0n to Time Capsule, will my wife be able to see it? Howto protect my privacy?

If your data is part of a Time Machine backup, that data can only be viewed by the account that made the backup, so there is some protection there.

I read in MacWorld that you can use Time Capsule as normal NAS. Can you protect those files with access rights? That my wife can't browse NAS folders?

You can just make a folder on the Time Capsule drive to store files centrally. That disk can be password protected. You could also use Disk Utility on your Mac to make an encrypted disk image, then store that image on the Time Capsule disk.

How does it work backing up iOS devices? Can they connect directly to Time Capsule (without iTunes)?

No. The iOS devices cannot directly backup to the Time Capsule. You would need to use either iCloud for over the air backups to the cloud, or use iTunes on one of the Macs to backup.

Quotenfrau

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 6, 2011
I would recommend a Synology NAS over a Time Capsule if you already have a decent router, just so much more flexible.

thanks buddy

yea seems much better with integrated torrent client :)

which product most UNIX geek friendly? Out-of-the-box SSH access and possibility to install tools?

blueroom

macrumors 603
Feb 15, 2009
Toronto, Canada
thanks buddy

yea seems much better with integrated torrent client :)

which product most UNIX geek friendly? Out-of-the-box SSH access and possibility to install tools?

You can enable terminal & SSH from the browser based control panel.

Try out the live demo to take a look.
http://www.synology.com/products/dsm_livedemo.php?lang=us
Make sure to check out the Package center.

All the Synology NAS's offer the same features, (exception the Atom based high end models may have different plug ins available)

On the cheap a DS112j is nice. I use a DS212j myself.

PS check out the iOS app store for Synology apps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.