Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Dec 7, 2002, 11:52 AM   #1
oeNcaM
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
iMac 800: buy now or wait Jan?

ok, here i am… finally i can buy a new Mac!
i've chosen for an iMac 800 15" superdrive… it's over my financial possibilities, but with the help of my family i can do it.
but now, here's the doubt: should i buy it now, or should i wait until January for possible updates??
i would wait, but the problem is that on Jan i have to buy a car too, so i won't have extra-money to spend for a more-powerful-but-more-expensive iMac.

do you think there will be an update?
if so, will it be just a screen-size one, or will it cover also the processor speed?

please, help! i really don't know what to do
oeNcaM is offline   0
Old Dec 7, 2002, 12:43 PM   #2
Natron
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Well, there is about a 90% or more chance of an iMac upgrade at MacWorld SF. I would definitely wait.

The improvements will probably be in processor speed, and there have been rumors of a 19" iMac, and the 15" iMac dropping out of production. I kind of doubt this will happen, but am almost 100% certain there will be speed boosts in January.

Besides, if you are going to buy a 15" iMac 800Mhz, no matter if it's now or January, then it will definitely be cheaper after any updates to the lineup. If the 15" are done for, and 19" iMacs premiere, then the 17" will probably drop to the 15" current price too.

Example: I bought my PowerBook G4 550Mhz shortly after the 667 & 800Mhz models came out. Saved a couple hundred dollars, and since my grandpa bought it for me, I wanted to save money wherever I could.

Anyway, I say you are best to wait until January. I would if I were you.

-Natron
Natron is offline   0
Old Dec 11, 2002, 10:23 PM   #3
jefhatfield
Retired
 
jefhatfield's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
natron is right

definitely wait a few weeks
jefhatfield is offline   0
Old Dec 11, 2002, 11:11 PM   #4
HasanDaddy
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Most definitely WAIT!

You'll feel VERY dumb if you don't.............they HAVE to update this thing!

As a matter of fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they unveiled the update before MWSF, like they did with the PowerBooks...........
__________________
LAPZILLA uMBP 512 SSD, 8 gig RAM & 2.66 i7 Core; iPad 2 AT&T 64; Verizon iPhone 4S 64; Ultimate Ears Custom 11 Monitors
www.MiguelAli.com
HasanDaddy is offline   0
Old Dec 12, 2002, 01:46 AM   #5
RogueLdr
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: People's Republic of Ann Arbor
MW Expo and the Consumer Line

Apple has shown an inclination to use the MacWorld Expos to showcase its consumer lines, since it is an event to which the traditional media outlets pay attention. I am waiting to see what happens on the iMac front come January, and I advise you to do the same, oeNcaM.

RL
__________________
That which does not kill us, makes us
STRANGER. -Trevor Goodchild
RogueLdr is offline   0
Old Dec 12, 2002, 02:31 AM   #6
Skandranon
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: North Carolina
Exclamation Thou must wait.

You will regret not doing so.

Come January 6th, you will be rewarded for your patience.
Skandranon is offline   0
Old Dec 12, 2002, 09:23 AM   #7
irmongoose
macrumors 68030
 
irmongoose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Sometimes Tokyo, sometimes California
My guess is that they will put a GHz G4 in there and let it be for a while... that'll be shweeeeeet




irmongoose
__________________
A Film and Artwork Portfolio and Re: Gruber
irmongoose is offline   0
Old Dec 12, 2002, 10:03 AM   #8
railthinner
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
I normally say "just dive in and buy it" when someone asks this sort of question, but it's really close now. I'd expect new imacs next month at 867 and 1GHZ. If they dump the current 15" I'd expect it to be replaced by a new 15" widescreen. I doubt if there will be a price drop but $100 less is possible--either way you'll be getting more for your money.

Personally I'd like to see new displays as well. It's beyond time. My 867 powermac is waiting impatietnly.
railthinner is offline   0
Old Dec 12, 2002, 11:00 AM   #9
mcrain
Banned
 
mcrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Illinois
If you're in the market for an iMac, I strongly suggest that you talk with Backtothemac.

Trust me, give him a PM and tell him what you're looking for.
mcrain is offline   0
Old Dec 12, 2002, 11:18 AM   #10
NicoMan
macrumors 6502a
 
NicoMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Malmö, Sweden
Like everyone here, I'd say wait a couple of weeks. The problem is, Apple is all too aware of everyone's expectations of an update at this MWSF. Even though I still believe they are going to update the iMac there, I think they are going to start moving away from presenting new hardware at Expos like MWSF, because they know people don't buy anything in the few weeks before. I believe that tradeshows like MWSF are going to become a way to present iApps and not hardware (and a way for ppl to get their hands on the hardware; not everyone live close to an Apple Store)...

Even so, I'd say wait !

NicoMan
NicoMan is offline   0
Old Dec 12, 2002, 12:09 PM   #11
Macmaniac
macrumors 68040
 
Macmaniac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: A tiny spec in the "Garden State", 1 square mile in area, somewhere on the outskirts of town by the railroad tracks
Exclamation WAIT!!!

BY ALL MEANS WAIT!!!
I made the huge mistake of buying my iMac G3 one month before MWSF, and then they realesed they flat screen one. I was kicking myself so hard for not waiting. Its due for an update so wait!!!!!!!!!!!!
__________________
The customer is NOT always right
Macmaniac is offline   0
Old Dec 12, 2002, 03:46 PM   #12
gopher
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Maryland, USA
Send a message via AIM to gopher Send a message via Yahoo to gopher
If you wait till January and have any investment in Mac OS 9 software you will need to worry about upgrading all that software. Secondly, anything released in January you'd probably want to wait 3 or 4 months on to find out what bugs are found by users and let Apple iron out those bugs with firmware updates. Now one reason to wait till January would be to get a current model at closeout prices the day before Macworld. But then again that is subject to supply, and your not feeling at all squeemish about not having the latest and greatest. The iMac as it stands today is a great machine in both 800 Mhz configurations.

Apple offers 6 months same as cash at their store if you want to buy today. Don't know how long that offer lasts.
__________________
[url=http://www.macmaps.com/mac.html]http://www.macmaps.com/mac.html [url]
gopher is offline   0


 
MacRumors Forums > Archive > Archives of Old Posts > Macintosh Computers

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buy iMac now, or wait? boombox15 iMac 36 Apr 23, 2014 03:35 PM
New iMac - Wait or buy one now? Mac2004 Buying Tips and Advice 4 Dec 10, 2013 02:29 PM
Buy iMac now or wait? pulse83 iMac 20 May 11, 2013 05:24 PM
Buy Imac now or wait..?? sirio iMac 42 Sep 17, 2012 09:29 PM
Should I buy iMac 2012 or wait for the Retina iMac? chocolateschips iMac 17 Aug 27, 2012 09:02 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:54 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC