Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games

Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:00 AM   #26
seanm9
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cougarcat View Post
There's no mac client, just a downloader/updater. Works just like Blizzard's downloaders.
what is to stop me from preloading the game and setting the date on my mac to next month...? do you need and internet connection to play the game (the game can looks at the server and see my clock is not set the the correct time)

I'll wait for the App store version
seanm9 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 10:26 AM   #27
Cougarcat
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanm9 View Post
what is to stop me from preloading the game and setting the date on my mac to next month...? do you need and internet connection to play the game (the game can looks at the server and see my clock is not set the the correct time)

I'll wait for the App store version
The game downloads everything but the executable, which will be downloaded on release day.

You do not need to be online to play the game. The executable itself is DRM-free.

IMO buying it direct is the way to go. You won't have to worry about patches being delayed by Apple.
Cougarcat is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 2013, 11:34 AM   #28
Renzatic
In Time-Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philalbe View Post
It's surreal how high level spells that don't even exist in BG1 work seamlessly after importing a BG2 character. There are some exceptions. If you cast "Wish" the djinn just kind of hangs around without speaking. Funny how the "slayer" icon carries over too. Tried using it but there's just a pretty light show without any transformation
I'd say that's because the Enhanced Edition actually uses an updated rev of the BGII engine. I'm not surprised it has a good amount of it's assets tucked away behind the scenes.

This also means we're likely to get BGII sooner rather than later.
Renzatic is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 2013, 11:30 AM   #29
Dirtyharry50
macrumors 65816

Quote:
It won't be, but hopefully it won't be too much longer after that. Depends on Apple.

That's up to Atari, unfortunately.
Hmm, too bad Atari is going bankrupt. It makes me wonder what is going to happen with availability on this. Since I am not a soothsayer I would not attempt to guess here.

Anyway, Steam or bust I say. If they don't want my money, that's fine. I already own the game along with BGII and can do my own application of mods and enjoy it in Parallels. I just thought it would be cool to play it native and skip bothering with that stuff.
Dirtyharry50 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2013, 02:59 PM   #30
Washac
macrumors 68000

24hrs to go
Old Feb 21, 2013, 05:15 PM   #31
SingularityG
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washac View Post
24hrs to go
I am waiting for the Mac App Store version.

Will I endure...who knows.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 04:12 PM   #32
runebinder
macrumors 6502a

Just bought the Beamdog version as I was reading that the update cycle will be better as they won't need Apple's approval unlike the app store version. The download speed is awful, I have 30Mbps broadband and getting 120-200KBs download speed. Did a speed test to check if my connection was playing up but got 24Mbps on that.

Edit: Improved after a few minutes and went up to 1.0 - 1.7MBps, better but still not amazing.

iPhone 5s 32GB Space Grey iOS 7.1.1

Last edited by runebinder; Feb 22, 2013 at 04:37 PM.
runebinder is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 05:35 PM   #33
blesscheese
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by runebinder View Post
Just bought the Beamdog version as I was reading that the update cycle will be better as they won't need Apple's approval unlike the app store version.
Edit: Improved after a few minutes and went up to 1.0 - 1.7MBps, better but still not amazing.
We'll be awaiting your impressions...
blesscheese is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 2013, 05:43 PM   #34
ultra7k
macrumors regular

Are there any real benefits to getting from the Mac App store? I've been waiting a long while for this game, and am looking to buy it this weekend....
Old Feb 22, 2013, 05:45 PM   #35
Cougarcat
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra7k View Post
Are there any real benefits to getting from the Mac App store? I've been waiting a long while for this game, and am looking to buy it this weekend....
Other than the benefits inherent in the App store itself, (easiest download experience) no, and you're at the mercy of their update schedules.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 06:41 PM   #36
ultra7k
macrumors regular

Quote:
Other than the benefits inherent in the App store itself, (easiest download experience) no, and you're at the mercy of their update schedules.
hm didn't think so. ah well i'll just download it from the devs.

thanks.
Old Feb 22, 2013, 07:18 PM   #37
runebinder
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by blesscheese View Post
We'll be awaiting your impressions...
Initial impressions are not too bad. Looks dated but that's to be expected, actually doesn't look as bad as I'd thought it'd be on the retina. Game play seems to be what I remember which is the main draw of the game, so not regretting buying it.

One issue on the retina I'm having (also get this on FM2013), is when the game is launched part of the game screen is missing (took some screen and they were 2560 x 1440). I then set it to Windowed mode and then back again to full screen which fixes the issue and the screens are then 1440x900. Need to figure out why as it's annoying.

runebinder is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 2013, 01:24 AM   #38
Cougarcat
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by runebinder View Post
Initial impressions are not too bad. Looks dated but that's to be expected, actually doesn't look as bad as I'd thought it'd be on the retina. Game play seems to be what I remember which is the main draw of the game, so not regretting buying it.

One issue on the retina I'm having (also get this on FM2013), is when the game is launched part of the game screen is missing (took some screen and they were 2560 x 1440). I then set it to Windowed mode and then back again to full screen which fixes the issue and the screens are then 1440x900. Need to figure out why as it's annoying.
It's a known issue, and one not unique to this game (happens in Jedi Academy.)
Old Mar 8, 2013, 03:37 PM   #39
SingularityG
macrumors 6502

Trent Oster posted on twitter today:

Just got a message that BG:EE for the Mac app store is changed status to "In Review"
Old Mar 8, 2013, 09:05 PM   #40
Dirtyharry50
macrumors 65816

I wonder why it isn't on Steam already.
Dirtyharry50 is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2013, 12:55 AM   #41
SingularityG
macrumors 6502

And after a short time in review, BGEE is rejected by Apple yet again.
SingularityG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2013, 11:19 AM   #42
Solomani
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingularityG View Post
Weird. And yet it didn't delay release like this in the iOS App Store.
Solomani is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2013, 01:34 PM   #43
doh123
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philalbe View Post
It's surreal how high level spells that don't even exist in BG1 work seamlessly after importing a BG2 character. There are some exceptions. If you cast "Wish" the djinn just kind of hangs around without speaking. Funny how the "slayer" icon carries over too. Tried using it but there's just a pretty light show without any transformation
you realize it was built off BG2 and not BG1 right?
doh123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2013, 11:30 AM   #44
Dirtyharry50
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingularityG View Post
Well we are fortunate to have Apple to screen defective games for us unlike PC users who got to experience the bug ridden first release of this title.

It will be nice when and if they finally get their act together.
Dirtyharry50 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2013, 03:22 PM   #45
runebinder
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtyharry50 View Post
Well we are fortunate to have Apple to screen defective games for us unlike PC users who got to experience the bug ridden first release of this title.

It will be nice when and if they finally get their act together.
I've been playing the Mac version since it was released on their site. The amount of bugs I've experienced so far has been 0, unless you count screen size being incorrect at start so I have to come out of full screen and then back in to fix it. As that also happens with FM2013 and other users report the same issue with other games, that's caused by Apple as it only occurs in OS X on a rMBP.

runebinder is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2013, 06:31 PM   #46
Cougarcat
macrumors 603

I'm guessing the rejection is because Apple didn't like the symlink that pointed to the save files, which only exists because of Apple's stupid sandboxing limitations.

Edit: From their twitter, it's a text issue, not a problem with the game. I assume they mean something related to the app description. Those problems have fast turnaround times.

Last edited by Cougarcat; Mar 10, 2013 at 06:40 PM.
Old Mar 11, 2013, 06:17 PM   #47
theBostonian
macrumors regular

It's now live (at least in the Canada and UK MAS)!
theBostonian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2013, 03:36 AM   #48
Solomani
macrumors 68000

BG Enhanced Edition is live now on the USA Mac App Store, the game date release says March 11, 2013.

But who am I kidding... I'm only halfway through Diablo 3. D3 is running silky smooth on my late-2012 iMac. Not sure why there was so much hate on this game. Sure the always-online requirement is stupid, but even while I'm strictly playing solo at this time, the only time that matters is during Blizzard's weekly "Maintenance Server Down Time" etc.

Last edited by Solomani; Mar 12, 2013 at 03:42 AM.
Solomani is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2013, 03:58 AM   #49
throAU
macrumors 68030

I played the windows version a bit and got owned hard before the first town by a pack of wolves.

I don't remember it being anywhere near that hard back in the day.
throAU is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2013, 09:04 AM   #50
T'hain Esh Kelch
macrumors 65816

Send a message via ICQ to T'hain Esh Kelch Send a message via AIM to T'hain Esh Kelch Send a message via MSN to T'hain Esh Kelch
Quote:
Originally Posted by throAU View Post
I played the windows version a bit and got owned hard before the first town by a pack of wolves.

I don't remember it being anywhere near that hard back in the day.
Before the first couple of updates, there were too many random spawns. I experienced the same on the iPad.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultra7k View Post
Beamdog earns more from a sale on their store. I'm getting the App store version though, as I like to keep my software in as few places as possible. I'm not getting a download manager for one single game.

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games