Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kenetic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 29, 2006
Hi,

I want to watch TV on my Mac Pro, but I don't know which card will work. I am planning to setup Bootcamp on the Mac Pro running Windows 7. I plan on using Windows Media Player to watch TV. I have an indoor antenna.

I know EyeTV is much more feasible, but it's a price issue. If I can get a cheap TV-Turner card that support Windows 7, than I am all set.

Here is my question: Are there any cheap PC TV-Turner card that work on a Mac Pro PCIe?

I have a Mac Pro 1,1.

Thanks

monkeybagel

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2011
United States
Hi,

I want to watch TV on my Mac Pro, but I don't know which card will work. I am planning to setup Bootcamp on the Mac Pro running Windows 7. I plan on using Windows Media Player to watch TV. I have an indoor antenna.

I know EyeTV is much more feasible, but it's a price issue. If I can get a cheap TV-Turner card that support Windows 7, than I am all set.

Here is my question: Are there any cheap PC TV-Turner card that work on a Mac Pro PCIe?

I have a Mac Pro 1,1.

Thanks

Although I don't know for sure, I would think that any PCIe card that is Windows compatible would work. Perhaps someone with some experience with the issue could chime in.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
If you are going to run Windows, then yes, any Windows PCIe or USB tuner will work.

I have used many tuners over the years including PCI, USB, and other. I have to say, the HDHomeRun is by far the best solution. You put the tuner by the antenna and connect to the computer by Ethernet. This has several advantages:
  • Any computer on the network can use the tuner (Mac, PC, Linux, desktop, laptop, iPad, iPhone). I use mine with my iPad, Windows 7 Media Center, and EyeTV.
  • You can place the antenna where you get the best reception instead of where your computer is.
  • No spotty PCI or USB drivers that cause crashes (this happened to me a lot with Hauppage devices).

kenetic

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 29, 2006
I saw HDHomeRun is made by two manufactures. Elgato and Silicondust. Which one do you have?

If you are going to run Windows, then yes, any Windows PCIe or USB tuner will work.

I have used many tuners over the years including PCI, USB, and other. I have to say, the HDHomeRun is by far the best solution. You put the tuner by the antenna and connect to the computer by Ethernet. This has several advantages:
  • Any computer on the network can use the tuner (Mac, PC, Linux, desktop, laptop, iPad, iPhone). I use mine with my iPad, Windows 7 Media Center, and EyeTV.
  • You can place the antenna where you get the best reception instead of where your computer is.
  • No spotty PCI or USB drivers that cause crashes (this happened to me a lot with Hauppage devices).

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
I bought mine from SiliconDust. It was the dual tuner model, so I can either record two shows at the same time, or watch live TV while recording one show.

I believe they are all SiliconDust and Elgato just slaps their brand name on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.