Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
This is extremely frustrating, I had it set to where it was doing this and then I accidentally clicked the up arrow in iTunes that disconnects the iPhone and now I can't make it sync!! I looked in preferences and everything! Everything under devices is whited out and likewise on my phone. I even reconnected my phone to my desktop. Apple is supposed to be user friendly I'm going insane!!

Last edited:

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
WIFI sync is kind of flakey. Try this:

Hook up phone USB.
Un-select WIFI Sync box.
Leave phone plugged in, Reboot
Open iTunes again, and re-Select WIFI Sync Box.
Just unplug phone.
Close iTunes then re-Open

Don't know why this makes a diff but several posts say it does.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011

Hook up phone USB.
Un-select WIFI Sync box.
Just unplug phone.

If I reboot I will lose all of my settings and it will unjailbreak me

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011

Hook up phone USB.
Un-select WIFI Sync box.
Just unplug phone.

Is this the only known method? I'm worried I'll lose my settings

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
First, there is a new jailbreak that is untethered. So I advise you to update to that jailbreak. Two, by reboot, he meant your computer. In my opinion, that is not necessary. Just restart iTunes and you're good. Every time iTunes starts, it will automatically re-look for your devices that are on the network and have WiFi sync enabled.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
First, there is a new jailbreak that is untethered. So I advise you to update to that jailbreak. Two, by reboot, he meant your computer. In my opinion, that is not necessary. Just restart iTunes and you're good. Every time iTunes starts, it will automatically re-look for your devices that are on the network and have WiFi sync enabled.

I tried closing and re-opening iTunes, no luck.

I want to get the new jailbreak but didn't iOS 6 remove the native YouTube app and the new Google maps is inferior (not apples new maps)

Lastly, how can I find out if all of my tweaks are available for the new jailbreak?

Icy1007

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
Cleveland, OH

I want to get the new jailbreak but didn't iOS 6 remove the native YouTube app and the new Google maps is inferior (not apples new maps)

Lastly, how can I find out if all of my tweaks are available for the new jailbreak?

Just use Apple's Map app if you don't like Google's Map app.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley

You can download the YouTube app in the App Store. I think it's better than the old one. As for the native Maps app and Google Maps, I think the new Maps is far better than Google Maps. Google Maps has better data in a few locations but the overall UI is pretty terrible. Anyone thinking otherwise is kidding themselves.

Regarding tweaks, I think most of them work under iOS 6 but if you have iPhone 5, then some stuff haven't been updated for the longer screen. Also, isn't there an untethered jailbreak for iOS 5.x?

You can try toggling the WiFi sync setting iTunes and then close and reopen iTunes and retoggle that setting.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
You can download the YouTube app in the App Store. I think it's better than the old one. As for the native Maps app and Google Maps, I think the new Maps is far better than Google Maps. Google Maps has better data in a few locations but the overall UI is pretty terrible. Anyone thinking otherwise is kidding themselves.

Regarding tweaks, I think most of them work under iOS 6 but if you have iPhone 5, then some stuff haven't been updated for the longer screen. Also, isn't there an untethered jailbreak for iOS 5.x?

You can try toggling the WiFi sync setting iTunes and then close and reopen iTunes and retoggle that setting.

Wait a minute so you're saying the new Apple Maps is BETTER than Google Maps? Do you mean the old Google Maps or the new one?

Now I'm really confused, this is the opposite of what I've heard from almost everyone. There was a huge thing, Apple even pubicly apologized.

Lastly, if there is any chance I'm going to lose any of my tweaks I'm not going to do it. In my past experience updating to newer versions almost always leaves me pissed off and disappointed, I think I'd rather play it safe and wait until they have all of these tweaks.

wxman2003

Suspended
Apr 12, 2011
I have given up using wifi sync with itunes on my imac. Whenever I try to sync with my iphone 5, it knocks my imac off the wifi network. Does not do that with my ipad or ipod, only the iphone. I reboot my imac, iphone 5 will sync fine the first time after reboot, and then knocks the imac off the network with subsequent attempts. I have restored iphone as new, reset network settings, etc, but to no avail.

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
My iTunes sits on a Windows desktop. It seems to work better if iTunes is closed/reOpen between syncs. YMMV.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Wait a minute so you're saying the new Apple Maps is BETTER than Google Maps? Do you mean the old Google Maps or the new one?

Now I'm really confused, this is the opposite of what I've heard from almost everyone. There was a huge thing, Apple even pubicly apologized.

Lastly, if there is any chance I'm going to lose any of my tweaks I'm not going to do it. In my past experience updating to newer versions almost always leaves me pissed off and disappointed, I think I'd rather play it safe and wait until they have all of these tweaks.

Better in some ways, worse in others. Don't believe everything you hear. Apple should not have apologized for people being stupid and ignorant and selectively biased. I'm not saying Apple Maps isn't flawed. I'm saying both Apple Maps and Google Maps are flawed in certain aspects. It was blown way out of proportion by the media.

Well, I agree with you here. I think there is a thread in the customization thread that tracks the compatibility of various tweaks in iOS 6 versus iOS 5. I'd go there and see if the ones you are using are compatible or not.

Back on topic, I did the same thing you did and I just restarted iTunes. That worked for me. Are you sure one of your tweaks isn't potentially affecting WiFi sync in any way? I'm sure there are tweaks that change the way WiFi sync works or something.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011
Better in some ways, worse in others. Don't believe everything you hear. Apple should not have apologized for people being stupid and ignorant and selectively biased. I'm not saying Apple Maps isn't flawed. I'm saying both Apple Maps and Google Maps are flawed in certain aspects. It was blown way out of proportion by the media.

Well, I agree with you here. I think there is a thread in the customization thread that tracks the compatibility of various tweaks in iOS 6 versus iOS 5. I'd go there and see if the ones you are using are compatible or not.

Back on topic, I did the same thing you did and I just restarted iTunes. That worked for me. Are you sure one of your tweaks isn't potentially affecting WiFi sync in any way? I'm sure there are tweaks that change the way WiFi sync works or something.

Cool, thanks

hedleylammarr

macrumors newbie
Dec 9, 2012
Oxford, England
Better in some ways, worse in others. Don't believe everything you hear. Apple should not have apologized for people being stupid and ignorant and selectively biased. I'm not saying Apple Maps isn't flawed. I'm saying both Apple Maps and Google Maps are flawed in certain aspects. It was blown way out of proportion by the media

Rubbish - I live in rural England & even the largest city close to me is lacking the most basic information. It's terrible & that's not the media's opinion, it's mine

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
Rubbish - I live in rural England & even the largest city close to me is lacking the most basic information. It's terrible & that's not the media's opinion, it's mine

Like I said, better in some ways and worse in others. In California, United States, Apple Maps gives me better turn by turn than Google does. I sometimes can't be bothered while driving to go through a bunch of menus just to get directions. I tried Google Maps and it gave me wrong directions twice. Apple Maps? Once and that has since been fixed. Again, there's no point using single personal experiences to justify an entire mapping app's value. My friends on both Android and iPhone find problems with both as do I. But is it exactly as the media described? No. I work 2 internships and 1 part time job while being a full time college student. I use Apple Maps and it works. YMMV.

TH55

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Nov 5, 2011

Hook up phone USB.
Un-select WIFI Sync box.
Just unplug phone.

Thanks, that worked!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.