Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Old Feb 3, 2013, 11:54 AM   #1
mouser45
macrumors member

Microsoft Surface Pro geekbench=5700ish; iPad 4=1700ish

Over 3x as fast.

Not too surprising considering what's inside. Still no battery benchmarks out yet.

Anyone planning on getting one? Seems like an intriguing concept--will probably wait for 2nd gen, but very tempting.
mouser45 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 12:03 PM   #2
Zaft
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouser45 View Post
Over 3x as fast.

Not too surprising considering what's inside. Still no battery benchmarks out yet.

Anyone planning on getting one? Seems like an intriguing concept--will probably wait for 2nd gen, but very tempting.
What's the screen res of the surface?
Zaft is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 12:08 PM   #3
mouser45
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaft View Post
surface pro is 1920x1080
mouser45 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 12:09 PM   #4
3bs
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaft View Post
1366 x 768 pixels and 148 PPI according to gsmarena.com

http://www.gsmarena.com/microsoft_surface-5082.php

Edit: I guess that's the RT
3bs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 12:23 PM   #5
MuffCabbage
macrumors regular

Quote:
surface pro is 1920x1080
This is true. The RT is 1366x768 and Pro is 1080p.

I think what is most intriguing is the perimeter venting that sends two fans shooting air out radially all along the top half or so and all the early previewers at CES said it runs silently and no air can be felt.

Now if only they could squeak out a bit more battery life than just over 5 hours that would be great. 5 hours is good but not amazing. The MBA 11" gets 5 hours as well.
MuffCabbage is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 12:25 PM   #6
Dr McKay
macrumors Demi-God

Send a message via MSN to Dr McKay Send a message via Skype™ to Dr McKay
It has an SD Card slot right? You'll need one because the Windows installation takes up over 40GB of the 64GB space.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 12:42 PM   #7
MuffCabbage
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr McKay View Post
It has an SD Card slot right? You'll need one because the Windows installation takes up over 40GB of the 64GB space.
Yeah, microSD and SDXC so theoretically expandable to 2TB cards in the future. (64GB now)
Old Feb 3, 2013, 01:21 PM   #8
irDigital0l

Wait your comparing Windows 8 (desktop OS) vs iOS (mobile OS)?

Because Microsoft Surface Pro runs W8.

Better comparison would be Surface RT.
irDigital0l is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 03:00 PM   #9
spinedoc77
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr McKay View Post
Nah, you can remove the recovery partition and the office trial and get most of that space back. I'm not sure exact figures but I'll bet the windows install will be 12-15gb.

----------

Quote:
Over 3x as fast.

I'm grabbing one on release date, I figure worst case scenario it's a replacement for the macbook air I just sold, but only much better features and hardware for about the same price.

I'm curious if there are benchmarks of the Atom/Clovertrail CPU windows tablets versus the ipad, they probably perform badly on those tests but in my experience the Atom powered tablets ran Windows quite nicely including any programs I threw at it such as photoshop and office, with the advantage of all day battery life. I'm still teetering about getting the Pro, or going back to an Atom tablet though, the Pro will have to give me an awesome experience for me not to go back to the Atom ones.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 03:45 PM   #10
Technarchy
macrumors 68040

Comparing a mobile ARM chip to an i5 is pretty pointless.
Steve Jobs, January 9th 2007, 10:44am: "We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them."
Technarchy is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 03:48 PM   #11
spinedoc77
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post
Absolutely, but unfortunately the media and many others are dead set on comparing the ipad to the surface pro, even though they are not meant to be compared.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 03:55 PM   #12
Vegastouch
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by irDigital0l View Post
Wait your comparing Windows 8 (desktop OS) vs iOS (mobile OS)?

Because Microsoft Surface Pro runs W8.

Better comparison would be Surface RT.
Why? It is still a tablet. But i can see why it isnt a good comparison. How much will a Windows 8 Pro cost?
Vegastouch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 04:07 PM   #13
MuffCabbage
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegastouch View Post
Why? It is still a tablet. But i can see why it isnt a good comparison. How much will a Windows 8 Pro cost?
$899 starting
Old Feb 3, 2013, 05:03 PM   #14
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegastouch View Post
It's an Ultrabook in a tablet form factor.

If your going to geek bench it would be more appropriate to bench it with the MBA.

It's like trying to compare horsepower of a Lamborghini with that of a Fiat 500. Yes they are both essentially cars, but are very different and intended for different audience.

And if we're going to make ridiculous threads may as well point out, that if you buy an iPad 4 64Gb and you get 57.6gb free. Buy an Surface Pro 64gb and you have 24Gb free after OS and restore partition....

Does that make the iPad4 twice as better because it as more than twice as much free storage? No because its a frickin stupid comparison where other things have to be taken into equation, and that's exactly the same when comparing the surface pro to the iPad when comparing a i5 processor to an Arm processor.

Last edited by MacRumorUser; Feb 3, 2013 at 05:16 PM.
MacRumorUser is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 05:20 PM   #15
mouser45
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post
Why do you think apple just bumped up the iPad to 128gb?
mouser45 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 05:33 PM   #16
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Sigh!

Conspiracy theories..

Maybe the fella hiding behind the grassy knoll who was crashed his spaceship in the Nevada desert and then helped Elvis Presley stage his death and move to a Caribbean island under a new identity, is actually Tim Cook...
MacRumorUser is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 05:36 PM   #17
Technarchy
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Who cares?

Comparing ARM chips to Intel chips makes no sense.
Steve Jobs, January 9th 2007, 10:44am: "We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them."
Technarchy is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 05:47 PM   #18
spinedoc77
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumorUser View Post
And if we're going to make ridiculous threads may as well point out, that if you buy an iPad 4 64Gb and you get 57.6gb free. Buy an Surface Pro 64gb and you have 24Gb free after OS and restore partition....

Does that make the iPad4 twice as better because it as more than twice as much free storage? No because its a frickin stupid comparison where other things have to be taken into equation, and that's exactly the same when comparing the surface pro to the iPad when comparing a i5 processor to an Arm processor.
You guys have to stop with this bit of misinformation. You will probably have closer to 45+ gb free after you factor in the recovery partition and office trial. On the surface (no pun intended) it is true this is what the surface pro ships with, but once again only because they include the recovery partition and office trial. You get EXACTLY the free space you do on any other desktop or laptop, including the macbook air for example.

I know the point you are trying to make, ipad storage versus a full computer storage, no offense intended but it is just starting to grate on my nerves how the media has jumped all over this when it's just distorting something into a catchy headline.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 05:52 PM   #19
Zwhaler
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuffCabbage View Post
Yeah, microSD and SDXC so theoretically expandable to 2TB cards in the future. (64GB now)
Lol, 2TB microSD
Old Feb 3, 2013, 06:00 PM   #20
appletoandroid
macrumors member

Quote:
Over 3x as fast.

This is why Apple's tablet marketshare continues to plummet. Their competitors continue to innovate and provide us with cutting edge products while Apple stays in the past continually trying to resell the original iPad and iPhone. Wouldn't be shocked to see them take a loss this year.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 06:04 PM   #21
SlCKB0Y
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinedoc77 View Post
You guys have to stop with this bit of misinformation. You will probably have closer to 45+ gb free after you factor in the recovery partition and office trial.
How many average users will know how to remove a recovery partition or even know of its existence. Very few.

Quote:
You get EXACTLY the free space you do on any other desktop or laptop, including the macbook air for example.
No, you don't. The 64GB MBA Air I bought was using not even close to the 40GB used on the Pro. (think less than half this).

If you're talking about starting fresh - A clean install of Mountain Lion (6-7GB) consumes less than half the diskspace of Windows 8, so how is your scenario possible?

Quote:
but it is just starting to grate on my nerves how the media has jumped all over this when it's just distorting something into a catchy headline.
And so they should. Releasing a product like this to the masses with that amount of diskspace is symptomatic of something seriously wrong at Microsoft if they (like you) think it was Ok for them to do this.

Last edited by SlCKB0Y; Feb 3, 2013 at 06:09 PM.
SlCKB0Y is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 06:07 PM   #22
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinedoc77 View Post
You guys have to stop with this bit of misinformation. You will probably have closer to 45+ gb free after you factor in the recovery partition and office trial. On the surface (no pun intended) it is true this is what the surface pro ships with, but once again only because they include the recovery partition and office trial. You get EXACTLY the free space you do on any other desktop or laptop, including the macbook air for example.

I know the point you are trying to make, ipad storage versus a full computer storage, no offense intended but it is just starting to grate on my nerves how the media has jumped all over this when it's just distorting something into a catchy headline.
Err That was exactly my point though.. The argument over free space is just as stupid and inane as this geek-benching an iPad with arm architecture to that of intel i5.

Hence I ended
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumorUser View Post
No because its a frickin stupid comparison where other things have to be taken into equation, and that's exactly the same when comparing the surface pro to the iPad when comparing a i5 processor to an Arm processor.
MacRumorUser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 06:26 PM   #23
chris2k5
Banned

Lol the Surface Pro is a fail. It is $300-$400 too expensive compared to tablets.

Why would anyone buy a Surface Pro for the same price as a MBA?!?!
chris2k5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 06:34 PM   #24
MacRumorUser
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris2k5 View Post
Lol the Surface Pro is a fail. It is $300-$400 too expensive compared to tablets.

For the same audience that would buy this...

http://www.modbook.com/modbookpro

Because its a ultrabook hardware you can do everything on it that you can a MBA but with ability to use it as a tablet form factor as well.

It's just choice, some folks actually like choice.

And it's much cheaper thn a modbook pro by a considerable margin. $899-999 versus $2500
MacRumorUser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 06:43 PM   #25
spinedoc77
macrumors 68040

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlCKB0Y View Post
How many average users will know how to remove a recovery partition or even know of its existence. Very few.

No, you don't. The 64GB MBA Air I bought was using not even close to the 40GB used on the Pro. (think less than half this).

If you're talking about starting fresh - A clean install of Mountain Lion (6-7GB) consumes less than half the diskspace of Windows 8, so how is your scenario possible?

And so they should. Releasing a product like this to the masses with that amount of diskspace is symptomatic of something seriously wrong at Microsoft if they (like you) think it was Ok for them to do this.
First of all that consumers know to remove the recovery partition isn't the point I'm making, it's still a distortion by the media to get mouse clicks. I understand Microsoft has crappy marketing and they should make this more obvious, or include the recovery on a usb drive, etc etc, but that still doesn't change the fact of how overblown this is. The media (and others) strongly allude that Windows 8 itself takes up 41gb of space and the user has NO choice whatsoever when they receive their surface pro but to ONLY have 23gb of free space, this is blatantly not true and will only perpetuate the issue you yourself have illustrated, that consumers don't know this fact.

As for storage space on a macbook air, a) installing windows on the macbook air, which is what I usually do (not thru bootcamp) we start with 59gb, with windows I'm down to around 48gb. M Lion is specced to take 8 gb (http://www.apple.com/uk/osx/specs/), so right off the bat you are at 51gb. Windows 8 takes up around 11gb for x64. It's more realistic to assume 45-47gb free. It's easy to see how the media and other users who are espousing this are being quite disingenuous.

I'm not saying Windows is efficient, or that it shouldn't be smaller, I am simply saying we should be more honest about the free hard drive space.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris2k5 View Post

I sold my MBA to buy a surface Pro. A 11" 128GB MBA is $1099, versus a 128GB surface Pro with a touch cover is $1099. I'm getting the ability to detach it and use it as a tablet, I'm getting a Wacom digitizer and pen, etc etc. I know it's not everyone's cup of tea, but it just doesn't seem like much rocket science to see why it's priced the way it is. It's not meant to be compared to other tablets, just as much as you wouldn't compare the macbook Air to the ipad, or would you?

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices