Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Old Feb 3, 2013, 01:10 PM   #1
tkimages
macrumors newbie

Do I need to go from Snow Leopard to ML?

I've been very happy with my 2 yr old 27" i7 imac running Snow Leopard, it runs smoothly and all my ancillaries work with it. However I've just read that Apple have stopped their 'support' for SL in as much as they are not updating it with security patches.

Is this correct? Will I now have to move over to ML?

I already know that at least one my ancillaries will not work with ML!!

Cheers,
tkimages is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 01:22 PM   #2
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Apple just issued a security update for SL just over 4 months ago. If your primary motive for upgrading is protection from malware, you should be fine with SL, as long as you practice safe computing, as described in the following link. Read the What security steps should I take? section of the Mac Virus/Malware FAQ for tips on practicing safe computing.

Last edited by annk; Feb 4, 2013 at 03:02 AM. Reason: Removed quote of OP
GGJstudios is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 01:23 PM   #3
Drew017
macrumors 65816

Send a message via Skype™ to Drew017
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkimages View Post
I've been very happy with my 2 yr old 27" i7 imac running Snow Leopard, it runs smoothly and all my ancillaries work with it. However I've just read that Apple have stopped their 'support' for SL in as much as they are not updating it with security patches.

Cheers,
Although it is true that Apple has dropped a little support for Snow Leopard (Safari and iTunes) Apple still issues security updates for it... and there is no reason that you absolutely have to update to Mountain Lion unless you really want to. If you're happy with Snow Leopard, stick with it

Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

Last edited by Drew017; Feb 3, 2013 at 01:30 PM.
Drew017 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 01:43 PM   #4
redfirebird08
macrumors regular

Stick with Snow Leopard. Better operating system than Mountain Lion IMHO.
redfirebird08 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 01:45 PM   #5
tkimages
macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies so far.

I'll stick with SL for a while longer.
tkimages is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 01:50 PM   #6
Eithanius
macrumors 6502a

Apple not updating SL...?

I've just downloaded Java SE 6 Update 12 for Snow Leopard hours ago...

I'm happy with SL, and will continue to use SL until my MBP dies...

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew017 View Post
Although it is true that Apple has dropped a little support for Snow Leopard (Safari and iTunes) Apple still issues security updates for it... and there is no reason that you absolutely have to update to Mountain Lion unless you really want to. If you're happy with Snow Leopard, stick with it
FYI, I'm running iTunes 11.0.1 on SL...
Old Feb 3, 2013, 02:14 PM   #7
Michael Goff
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkimages View Post

Cheers,
You should probably update soon.

Even if they're supporting it for now, they're not likely doing it for much longer.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 02:17 PM   #8
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Goff View Post
You should probably update soon.

Even if they're supporting it for now, they're not likely doing it for much longer.
There's no reason to upgrade to a newer OS X version, unless the new version has features you need or want that aren't present in SL. SL is a very stable and usable release and is quite secure.
GGJstudios is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 02:46 PM   #9
Michael Goff
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGJstudios View Post
There's no reason to upgrade to a newer OS X version, unless the new version has features you need or want that aren't present in SL. SL is a very stable and usable release and is quite secure.
Snow Leopard is not perfect.

You're encouraging somebody to stay on an old OS even after security patches stop (and they will eventually).

That's the worst advice you could give somebody.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 02:49 PM   #10
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
Neither is Mountain Lion, or any other OS.
Quote:
You're encouraging somebody to stay on an old OS even after security patches stop (and they will eventually).
No, I'm saying there's no reason to upgrade, unless the new version has features you want or need. Security patches have not stopped, and Snow Leopard is fine to use, as many still do. If the situation changes significantly in the future, other recommendations may be appropriate at that time.
GGJstudios is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 02:57 PM   #11
MisterKeeks
macrumors 68000

Quote:

I agree completely with GGJStudios. First, he is not advising to keep using SL after security patches stop. Second, you can use an old OS that isn't updated just fine. Most of my computers run Leopard and Tiger and I am safe. Why? Because I don't do silly things that could negatively affect my security. I used updated browsers, etc. I don't install things I don't need.
MisterKeeks is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 03:01 PM   #12
Michael Goff
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Neither is Mountain Lion, or any other OS.

No, I'm saying there's no reason to upgrade, unless the new version has features you want or need. Security patches have not stopped, and Snow Leopard is fine to use, as many still do. If the situation changes significantly in the future, other recommendations may be appropriate at that time.
When OS X 10.9 comes out, likely later this year, I'd say that they're likely to stop patching SL. Hell, it's lucky it's getting patches as is.

Then again, it hasn't gotten a sizable patch in what? 18 months?

Let's not ignore that SL lacks ASLR, which makes it a tasty security hazard.

Oh, and then there's the fact that SL isn't getting the most recent Safari.

I'm not saying the world is ending if she doesn't, but don't act like there's no reason beyond features. Each version gets more secure.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 03:07 PM   #13
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
When OS X 10.9 comes out, likely later this year, I'd say that they're likely to stop patching SL. Hell, it's lucky it's getting patches as is.

I'm not saying the world is ending if she doesn't, but don't act like there's no reason beyond features. Each version gets more secure.
At this time there is no threat that an average Mac user will encounter that can't be successfully avoided on SL. There's more to selecting an OS than frequency of security patches, especially if the user practices safe computing. There is no real security reason to upgrade from SL at this time.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 03:13 PM   #14
redfirebird08
macrumors regular

Quote:
It runs a lot better for me than Mountain Lion.
redfirebird08 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 03:27 PM   #15
Michael Goff
macrumors 68040

Quote:
At this time there is no threat that an average Mac user will encounter that can't be successfully avoided on SL. There's more to selecting an OS than frequency of security patches, especially if the user practices safe computing. There is no real security reason to upgrade from SL at this time.
So you would advise that Windows users continue to use XP indefinitely if they don't care about what features 7 and 8 offer?

Should Ubuntu users stick with pre-Unity if they don't like Unity?

Etc Etc
Old Feb 3, 2013, 03:27 PM   #16
maxosx
macrumors 68020

Quote:

Snow Leopard is most certainly not perfect, no OS is.

My experience reveals Snow Leopard to be the best (for my requirements) OS, Apple has released to date. I say that after running Mountain Lion concurrently since its release.

My network & main Macs will remain on my fast, stable, and highly useful version of Snow Leopard until it no longer remains relevant.

Security? No problem. I diligently practice safe computing.

Beyond that we're all subject to the odd exception. If for some reason the computing landscape changes, and threats become frequent, I'll deal with that in real time.

Snow Leopard has served me extremely well & continues to do so.
maxosx is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 03:34 PM   #17
MisterKeeks
macrumors 68000

Quote:

I wasn't aware that we needed sizeable patches. I can get the most recent version of Safari on Leopard, so browser isn't an issue.
MisterKeeks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 03:35 PM   #18
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
So you would advise that Windows users continue to use XP indefinitely if they don't care about what features 7 and 8 offer?

No, I would advise Windows users to switch to Mac OS X!

You're comparing apples and oranges. The security/malware environment for Windows is significantly different than that of Mac OS X. As this thread is about Mac OS X, Windows and Ubuntu versions are completely irrelevant.
GGJstudios is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 03:43 PM   #19
Michael Goff
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterKeeks View Post
I wasn't aware that we needed sizeable patches. I can get the most recent version of Safari on Leopard, so browser isn't an issue.
That's amazing, considering Apple has come out to say Safari 6 is Lion or above.

Amazing that you got it on 10.5.

----------

Quote:
No, I would advise Windows users to switch to Mac OS X!

You're comparing apples and oranges. The security/malware environment for Windows is significantly different than that of Mac OS X. As this thread is about Mac OS X, Windows and Ubuntu versions are completely irrelevant.
Ah, I see.

It's the common Mac-user strategy of acting like OS X security is infinitely better. I mean, let's ignore the fact that it is undoubtedly the one with the least security measures, it's the best.

We're number 1!
Old Feb 3, 2013, 03:47 PM   #20
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
It's the common Mac-user strategy of acting like OS X security is infinitely better. I mean, let's ignore the fact that it is undoubtedly the one with the least security measures, it's the best.

We're number 1!
I didn't say anything of the kind. The reality is that the security/malware environment is different between Windows and Mac OS X. That is a simple fact.

There is no "better" or "best" OS; only what's better or best for a particular user's needs.

Don't put words in my mouth or misquote me. I was a Windows user for much longer than I've been a Mac user, so I have a balanced view of both.

As for the OP's original question of this thread:
Quote:
Do I need to go from Snow Leopard to ML?
No, you don't need to go from SL to ML, but some users may want to.
GGJstudios is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 03:53 PM   #21
Michael Goff
macrumors 68040

Quote:
I didn't say anything of the kind. The reality is that the security/malware environment is different between Windows and Mac OS X. That is a simple fact.

There is no "better" or "best" OS; only what's better or best for a particular user's needs.
If we're talking about security needs, Snow Leopard is quite pathetic.

If she's unable to do so for other reasons, then she shouldn't.

But I would advise that she does everything she can to try to limit the impact of updating as quickly as she can. Sticking with outdated software, and yes OS X Snow Leopard is considered outdated, will not help her out in long run.

Best case scenario, she keeps this until her current computer needs to get replaced. Then what?

Worst case scenario, her lack of security updates by the middle of the year or so (if the annual release cycle is true) ends up biting her rear big time.

Edit: But as for NEEDING to, there aren't many things you actually need to do. Your computer won't stop running at a certain date if you don't update. You just might be insecure.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 03:56 PM   #22
GGJstudios
macrumors Westmere

Quote:
If we're talking about security needs, Snow Leopard is quite pathetic.
I repeat my earlier statement: At this time there is no threat that an average Mac user will encounter that can't be successfully avoided on SL.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 04:00 PM   #23
redfirebird08
macrumors regular

Quote:

Etc Etc
Did you really just compare Snow Leopard to Windows XP and Mountain Lion to Windows 7? Mountain Lion is not a big enough departure from Snow Leopard to make that comparison.
redfirebird08 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 04:37 PM   #24
MisterKeeks
macrumors 68000

Quote:
That's amazing, considering Apple has come out to say Safari 6 is Lion or above.

Ah, I see.

We're number 1!
I use Leopard Webkit. 100% up-to-date builds of Webkit for Leopard. Only difference between it and Safari is that Leopard Webkit is up to date. As for security, Mac OS X is a house in the country side with no locks, Windows is a house on the bad side of town with bars on the Windows. I don't really believe that there is any real lack of security on SL vs ML.
MisterKeeks is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 05:06 PM   #25
Mr. Retrofire
macrumors 601

Quote:
In a home network or on a single workstation, no software from questionable sources and updated internet software, i do not see why user XYZ cannot use XP. I use XP for video editing, because it is very fast and has no compatibility problems.

Quote:
You should ask this question in a Linux forum.

“Only the dead have seen the end of the war.”
-- Plato --
Mr. Retrofire is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion