Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

greenrave

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 3, 2013
Is it just me, or is Apple's Smart Shuffle REALLY stupid?

It seems to me that they weight songs according to how many times you've played them, and when you shuffle, it plays those songs first. I'm not positive on this, but I've got a lot of evidence to suggest that it's true.

My phone's got about 500 songs on it, and I just put them all on about a week ago. But now when I shuffle, my phone mostly only plays songs from three artists.

I'm wondering if Apple weights the songs that come up in shuffle in their Smart Shuffle algorithm. To me, that's a really dumb thing to do, because I have no control over what comes up in shuffle. Shouldn't they only weight the songs I clicked on specifically and said "play this one song, I want to hear it now"?

Does anyone know what the deal with this shuffling algorithm is, and if there's a way I can shut it off so that when I hit shuffle, my music actually shuffles?

Thanks guys.

TaEbOm

macrumors member
May 30, 2009
the shuffle is atrocious. On my 64gb iphone i have over 6,900 songs and shuffle gives me 2 songs off the same album back to back. It plays certain songs over and over and ignores a lot. I still have yet to hear some songs by a certain artist while i hear almost every song from another. Hopefully they fix it in future updates.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.