Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TexasBear

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 3, 2013
Yes, I know I am running an older Mac, but it should be faster? The Mac Dual Processor 2 GHz G5, wiht OSX 10.5.8 shows not to be out of processor power, disk IO, memory, or any other resource, but often I get the Spinning Beach Ball of Death. It is usually when I am in Safari, or Word. I usually have Safari, Work, Mail and possibly a few other applications open. The monitor shows no resources fully used, but the beach ball just spins and the Monitor shows some application is Not Responding. Usually if I shut down and start up again it will clear up for a while, but not long. Any suggestion will be appreciated. One suggestion I have had it to kill mac spindump. :confused:

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
I don't know exactly why it would be doing that. Could you post a screenshot of Activity Monitor and let us know how much RAM you have? You can take the screenshot using Grab (in the Applications/Utilities folder). To upload to Macrumors, open the image in Preview, hit File>Save As, and save it as a PNG file (portable network graphic). On Macrumors, when you are posting, hit manage attachments, and select the PNG file to upload.

I understand that you are using Safari. That is not recommended. The version for Leopard is now slow and outdated. For a browser, I would recommend Leopard Webkit, Aurorafox, Tenfourfox, or Camino. You can find processor optimized builds of Camino here. All of the other browsers I mentioned have optimized builds on their webpages. There are other browsers to look at as well, see the FAQ for PowerPC Macs at the top of this forum.

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
Check system.log in Console. It could be dying HDD, especially if BBOD does appear when you're starting to run out of RAM.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
Yes, I know I am running an older Mac, but it should be faster? The Mac Dual Processor 2 GHz G5, wiht OSX 10.5.8 shows not to be out of processor power, disk IO, memory, or any other resource, but often I get the Spinning Beach Ball of Death. It is usually when I am in Safari, or Word. I usually have Safari, Work, Mail and possibly a few other applications open. The monitor shows no resources fully used, but the beach ball just spins and the Monitor shows some application is Not Responding. Usually if I shut down and start up again it will clear up for a while, but not long. Any suggestion will be appreciated. One suggestion I have had it to kill mac spindump. :confused:

I agree with 666sheep, for some reason dying hard drives on G5 PM's are difficult to diagnose because their symptoms are so across the board.

I never run a Mac without getting a new hard drive. Hope you have back up.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I also agree with 666sheep. A sluggish once responsive system with no increase of usage or low system resources is often a sign of a failing hard drive.

TexasBear

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 3, 2013
Console - What to look for for dying Hard Disk

What do I look for in Console? Here are a few lines when all is well. There are a lot of lines with : Stray Process like below. Or do I need to look when I get the BBOD? Many Thanks PS. I am running a Time Machine Back Up. Would that do it?

2/3/13 4:22:54 PM com.apple.launchd[1] (org.postfix.master[53180]) Stray process with PGID equal to this dead job: PID 53181 PPID 1 pickup

2/3/13 4:27:21 PM Safari[34204] *** WebKit discarding exception: <NSImageCacheException> Can't cache image

2/3/13 4:29:54 PM com.apple.launchd[1] (org.postfix.master[53218]) Stray process with PGID equal to this dead job: PID 53220 PPID 1 qmgr

2/3/13 4:29:54 PM com.apple.launchd[1] (org.postfix.master[53218]) Stray process with PGID equal to this dead job: PID 53219 PPID 1 pickup

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
You'll see something produced by kernel. It'll say something like this: Error Disk I/O to disk /dev/disk0.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.