Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

drgrafix

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
New England
I'm finally doing some maintenance and upgrading (installing Mountain Lion today) on my iMac and I have a lot of graphics files that I'm currently storing on my Network drive (2TB MyBookLive) these days. I had a lot on my 500Gig internal HDD, and I found that you can't "move" files to a remote drive like that but you can copy them. So I copied everything and from that point on I have used the network drive.

I work on my iMac 90% of the time, but keep a Windows7 Shuttle XPC here on my network to use Corel Draw 11 and Visio when I need them. The PC also has Photoshop CS2 on it so I can work on most all graphics files when I need to.

I'm not a network geek so I'd like to know if I can actually move (permanently) some of my graphics files to my PC via network or should I use a spare 1TB USB NTFS drive I have which is about 3/4 empty. Then I heard about a program called Paragon which might be useful to someone like me. Using a USB stick to actually work on something is tedious because you have to eject it every time you want to go back and forth. Ideally, it would be great if I could just drag and drop the files from the mac to the pc as needed. Like I said... I'm not an IT person just a designer and when I try to connect my mac and my pc I'm told I don't have the ability to access the pc files from the mac and vice versa. I _know_ this should be the way to go, but can't figure out the share issues that are blocking it.

Some will also suggest installing Parallels or a similar program and then just using the Mac. For a graphics person, the beauty of two machines is working in two large windows... my mac has a 24" screen, the pc has a 22" and yeah... I could add a 2nd screen to the mac by buying a DVI monitor. Just nervous about running Windows within my mac and something going haywire. And then there's the power issue of not taxing one processor but using two separate machines.

Again... I'm looking for some basic advice that would easy to implement.

Mike

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I had a lot on my 500Gig internal HDD, and I found that you can't "move" files to a remote drive like that but you can copy them.
If you can copy files to a drive, you can move them to the drive. Moving just involves deleting them from the original location after they've been copied to the new location.
I'm not a network geek so I'd like to know if I can actually move (permanently) some of my graphics files to my PC via network
Yes, you can.
should I use a spare 1TB USB NTFS drive I have which is about 3/4 empty.
You can also move or copy files to an external NTFS drive plugged into your Mac if you have something like Paragon installed.

Mac OS X can only read NTFS drives natively, but writing is possible via several methods.

NTFS (Windows NT File System)
  • Read/Write NTFS from native Windows.
  • Read only NTFS from native Mac OS X
    [*]To Read/Write/Format NTFS from Mac OS X, here are some alternatives:
    • For Mac OS X 10.4 or later (32 or 64-bit), install Paragon ($19.95) (Best Choice for Lion and Mountain Lion)
    • For Mac OS X 10.5 and later, including Lion, FUSE for OS X
    • For 32-bit Mac OS X, install NTFS-3G for Mac OS X (free) (does not work in 64-bit mode)
    • Some have reported problems using Tuxera (approx $36), which is an enhanced version of NTFS-3G with faster performance.
    • Native NTFS support can be enabled in Snow Leopard and later versions, but is not advisable, due to instability.
  • AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support NTFS
  • Maximum file size: 16 TB
  • Maximum volume size: 256TB
  • You can use this format if you routinely share a drive with multiple Windows systems.
Ideally, it would be great if I could just drag and drop the files from the mac to the pc as needed.
You can certainly drag and drop files to/from any network drive.
when I try to connect my mac and my pc I'm told I don't have the ability to access the pc files from the mac and vice versa. I _know_ this should be the way to go, but can't figure out the share issues that are blocking it.
Mac Basics: File Sharing

Last edited by a moderator:

drgrafix

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 9, 2008
New England
Upgraded to Mavericks and I'm having a different kind of problem. Can't open any files on the NAS drives from within Photoshop, also can't designate Folder on NAS drive as where I want processed files from Handbrake to go.

I can use Finder to select a photoshop file from a folder on the NAS drive and then tell it to be opened with Adobe Photoshop CS4. Had no problem opening/saving files directly to the specific folder on the NAS drive until a month ago or so. Thought Mavericks would "fix" this but no dice.

Am I relegated to redundancy of storing files on a USB HDD, then copying to the NAS drive and reversing that procedure to re-open?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.