Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 3, 2013, 04:53 PM   #1
jeeyung76
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Can't get ps3 controller to work with iMac 10.8.2

I am trying to get a dualshock sixaxis ps3 controller to work on my imac running osx10.8.2. unfortunately, all the instructions i've found require you to "turn bluetooth off" as one of the final steps. however, my mac won't let me do that, presumably because if i turn my devices off, my mouse and keyboard won't work, and i won't be able to turn bluetooth back on. does anyone know any workarounds for this? PLEASE AND THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!
jeeyung76 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 06:03 PM   #2
koban4max
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeyung76 View Post
I am trying to get a dualshock sixaxis ps3 controller to work on my imac running osx10.8.2. unfortunately, all the instructions i've found require you to "turn bluetooth off" as one of the final steps. however, my mac won't let me do that, presumably because if i turn my devices off, my mouse and keyboard won't work, and i won't be able to turn bluetooth back on. does anyone know any workarounds for this? PLEASE AND THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!
is this controller compatible with ps3? I mean..isn't this the original ps3 controller that you're talking about right? You should get 3rd party controller because ps3 is for PS3.
koban4max is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 07:50 PM   #3
dastinger
macrumors 6502a
 
dastinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by koban4max View Post
is this controller compatible with ps3? I mean..isn't this the original ps3 controller that you're talking about right? You should get 3rd party controller because ps3 is for PS3.
Wrong. Under Windows, you may use it to play games. It works out of the box but some games don't support it so you use Motioninjoy to emulate it as a 360 controller. The 360 controller is for 360 but it works on PC as well. I really don't get your point. It's not 1997 anymore.

As for the question by the OP, I'm sorry but I can't help you. All the games I played on OSX were playable with a mouse and keyboard so never had to use my Dual Shock :/
dastinger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 08:17 PM   #4
jeeyung76
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
cool, thanks. there are multiple threads (on macrumors, youtube, etc. and elsewhere on how to make this work on other macs - air, macbookpro, mac mini) so was hoping there was a solution for an imac, but thanks anyway.
jeeyung76 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 11:15 PM   #5
dastinger
macrumors 6502a
 
dastinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeyung76 View Post
cool, thanks. there are multiple threads (on macrumors, youtube, etc. and elsewhere on how to make this work on other macs - air, macbookpro, mac mini) so was hoping there was a solution for an imac, but thanks anyway.
If there are threads to make it work on all those machines, the same procedures will most probably work for an iMac as well. We are talking about software and the OS is the same on any Mac. Just make sure you search for fixes that were made for, at least, Snow Leopard (Lion/Mountain Lion would be, obviously, better).
dastinger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 12:03 PM   #6
jeeyung76
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
the problem is just the step that requires turning bluetooth off. since both my keyboard and mouse are bluetooth, the computer won't let me take that step.
jeeyung76 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 12:41 AM   #7
dastinger
macrumors 6502a
 
dastinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Can't you just borrow a wired mouse and keyboard? I think that any one will do, it doesn't have to be from Apple (I think).

And, can't you use the controller connected through USB?
dastinger is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PS3 controller on iMac? bobright iMac 5 Apr 26, 2013 01:20 AM
OS X: PS3 controller on iMac? bobright Mac and PC Games 0 Apr 22, 2013 10:58 PM
PS3 controller on iMac wired? bobright iMac 4 Mar 25, 2013 12:00 PM
Is there any program I can use to hook up my PS3 Controller to iMac? bobright iMac 2 Dec 23, 2012 07:00 AM
PS3 wireless controller not picking up on iMac judoka Mac Basics and Help 0 Jun 21, 2012 05:54 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:15 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC