Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gadget123

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 17, 2011
United Kingdom
Ipad 4 has the same physical design as Ipad 3 and it's almost been a year since Ipad 3. The big one is Apple released a white Iphone 4 in white very late and people thought well there won't be a 4S or Iphone 5 for a while...but they still went on and released a new Iphone a few months later.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Yes...

Apple wouldn't go to the bother of adding another item to the manufacturing chain if it was going to be supplanted 4 weeks later. The cost of packaging, manufacturing and distribution of the bigger iPad are all factors and they cost apple. They wouldn't go to the bother releasing it now unless the iPad 4 was going to be around for a while yet.

If your so concerned, wait till march and see for yourself.

pat park

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2011
California
I see the 128GB model as the last shot at squeezing any more revenue from this model before they move on to the new form factor.

The new ipad is coming later this year and will be a real knock you off our socks kind of product. Both the full size and the mini. Mark my words. :D

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
It's 50/50. No one knows but Apple and I for one would not be shocked to see the 5th gen make an early appearance.

smoking monkey

macrumors 68020
Mar 5, 2008
I HUNGER
I see the 128GB model as the last shot at squeezing any more revenue from this model before they move on to the new form factor.

The new ipad is coming later this year and will be a real knock you off our socks kind of product. Both the full size and the mini. Mark my words. :D

This is pretty much what I reckon will happen.

I simply can't see them releasing the new iPad in March... unfortunately. I'm wanting to upgrade from my 2, so I hope does get released in March!

If those leaked pics from a few days ago are any indication the next iPad will be much thinner and lighter. And that's worth waiting for in my books.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010

I agree. Some users here think just because Apple released a 128GB model, it somehow safeguards against Apple releasing the iPad 5 so soon. Adding more storage to an existing device is as simple as replacing the (old maximum capacity) 2 x 32GB flash chips with 2 x 64GB flash chips. No changes to manufacturing are needed and any changes to the boxes are minimal. Roll on the next iPad, it will make all previous models look very old!

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
Apple wouldn't go to the bother of adding another item to the manufacturing chain if it was going to be supplanted 4 weeks later. The cost of packaging, manufacturing and distribution of the bigger iPad are all factors and they cost apple. They wouldn't go to the bother releasing it now unless the iPad 4 was going to be around for a while yet.

Agreed, I don't see Apple doing another update in March.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
Ipad 128GB is there to kill Surface pro!!!

If anyone would cough out 899 for window tablet then 128GB Ipad can sell.

WilliamLondon

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2006
Ipad 128GB is there to kill Surface pro!!!

If anyone would cough out 899 for window tablet then 128GB Ipad can sell.

I don't see this at all, if the Surface dies it won't be because of Apple's trying to kill it, it'll just fail and die all on its own. It doesn't need any help from Apple.

The 128GB option is to differentiate it from the mini - come iPad 5, they'll drop the 16GB option on the full sized iPad only and 128GB will be the new top option of storage (but not on the mini), providing a premium option only available in the expensive full sized iPad.

ichavis

macrumors newbie
Jul 8, 2010
I did..i dont have a laptop and an imac at home so i often am up at the 64gb limit...so this is just a buffer.i upgraded from an ipad 3. maybe im only idiot who bought one, but for my own reasons i did. Dont care about ipad 5 or 6 rumors or whatever :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.