Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 3, 2013, 08:37 PM   #1
php111
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Could I unlock my CDMA iPhone 4 to AT&T?

I have the white iPhone 4 32GB with Verizon Wireless, once the untethered JB 6.1 releases, would I be able to unlock my iPhone from the CDMA Verizon carrier network, and transfer to AT&T which is a GSM network? How could I do this? Are there instructions for this?

Thank you,
php111 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 08:38 PM   #2
Intell
macrumors P6
 
Intell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Inside
No, your iPhone 4 does not have the proper hardware to work on any GSM network.
__________________
Last edited by Intell; Yesterday at 3:16 AM.
Intell is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 08:43 PM   #3
php111
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intell View Post
No, your iPhone 4 does not have the proper hardware to work on any GSM network.
Thank you for your quick reply! Since unlocking my iPhone to AT&T won't work, are there other ways to use my iPhone on GSM? Or unlocking would be the only way? I really don't want to buy and/or sale iPhones.
php111 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 08:44 PM   #4
Intell
macrumors P6
 
Intell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Inside
Your iPhone 4 physically lacks the needed hardware. Most importantly, a SIM card slot. Thus, it can only ever operate on CDMA networks.
__________________
Last edited by Intell; Yesterday at 3:16 AM.
Intell is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 09:56 PM   #5
dictoresno
macrumors 68020
 
dictoresno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: NJ
lacks the SIM card slot and the GSM radio. square peg, round hole.

wont work.....ever. you will need an at&t iphone 4 to use on at&t.
__________________
Verizon iPhone 6, 128GB Space Grey
Verizon iPhone 5S 32GB Space Grey - FOR SALE, PM me!!
iPad Mini 16GB Black, iPad 1 32 GB Black
iPod Touch 4th Generation 64GB Black
dictoresno is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 10:04 PM   #6
scaredpoet
macrumors 603
 
scaredpoet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by php111 View Post
Thank you for your quick reply! Since unlocking my iPhone to AT&T won't work, are there other ways to use my iPhone on GSM?
There are none. It is physically impossible.

Quote:
Or unlocking would be the only way?
You cannot unlock an iPhone 4 to use GSM networks.

The iPhone CDMA was basically a kludge to get the iPhone on Verizon's CDMA network, because the 4S had such a long way to go before it was released for sale. It has no GSM hardware in it. In its place is CDMA hardware.

Only the 4S universally has both GSM/HSPA hardware and CDMA hardware in every device.
__________________
If you're not a clairvoyant, then you shouldn't be speaking for a dead guy.
I'm here to talk about Apple stuff, and related tech stuff. Your political beliefs? I really couldn't care less about.
scaredpoet is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 10:06 PM   #7
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem
 
Applejuiced's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: At the iPhone hacks section.
Where do you plan on sticking the sim card?
Applejuiced is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 06:16 PM   #8
php111
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
Where do you plan on sticking the sim card?
Don't know. I wish it was possible.
php111 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 06:43 PM   #9
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem
 
Applejuiced's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: At the iPhone hacks section.
I wish I could use my microwave to play blue ray movies
Applejuiced is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 06:47 PM   #10
Intell
macrumors P6
 
Intell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Inside
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
I wish I could use my microwave to play blue ray movies
If it's a Blu-ray of fireworks, you can. It'll even be in 4D. Just put the disc and and set the timer for the length of the movie at 100% power.
__________________
Last edited by Intell; Yesterday at 3:16 AM.
Intell is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 06:53 PM   #11
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem
 
Applejuiced's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: At the iPhone hacks section.
Lol
Would I need special glasses to watch the 4D movies or sunglasses would be ok?
Applejuiced is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 06:54 PM   #12
Intell
macrumors P6
 
Intell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Inside
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
Lol
Would I need special glasses to watch the 4D movies or sunglasses would be ok?
The microwave oven's built in window should be enough, but if you have sensitive eyes sunglasses should be used to provide an extra bit of retinal protection.
__________________
Last edited by Intell; Yesterday at 3:16 AM.
Intell is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 07:56 PM   #13
lelisa13p
macrumors 68000
 
lelisa13p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA USA
< lelisa13p pulls up a chair and gets out her box of popcorn, waiting for the show to begin... >

__________________
Experience is what you get when you thought you were getting something else.
lelisa13p is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 07:59 PM   #14
php111
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by lelisa13p View Post
< lelisa13p pulls up a chair and gets out her box of popcorn, waiting for the show to begin... >

Image
Lol. Maybe I should try this with the microwave here? I'll pull up a chair and wait for the explosion to begin.
php111 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 09:51 PM   #15
php111
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
Where do you plan on sticking the sim card?
Seriously, and honestly, but would you prefer to upgrade from the iPhone 4 to a latest iPhone model that has a SIM slot, and then unlock the newer model? If yes, what's your personal choice of an iPhone model? Also, would I still be able to put the JB on a newer model? Please answer all of my questions. Thank you!
php111 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 10:42 PM   #16
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem
 
Applejuiced's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: At the iPhone hacks section.
Quote:
Originally Posted by php111 View Post
Seriously, and honestly, but would you prefer to upgrade from the iPhone 4 to a latest iPhone model that has a SIM slot, and then unlock the newer model? If yes, what's your personal choice of an iPhone model? Also, would I still be able to put the JB on a newer model? Please answer all of my questions. Thank you!
The only iphone model from Verizon that would work with any gsm sim is the iphone 5.
The iphone 4 as you learned earlier doesnt even have the gsm capabilities, hardware, sim tray and radios installed inside to even acess any GSM network. Just CDMA.
The iphone 4S from verizon can only be unlocked for international use by the carrier. So it wont work with any US domestic networks sim.
To make a very long story short just sell the verizon i4 you have and purchase an iphone either GSM unlocked or one for AT&T if you want to use it on that network.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 10:51 PM   #17
php111
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
The only iphone model from Verizon that would work with any gsm sim is the iphone 5.
The iphone 4 as you learned earlier doesnt even have the gsm capabilities, hardware, sim tray and radios installed inside to even acess any GSM network. Just CDMA.
The iphone 4S from verizon can only be unlocked for international use by the carrier. So it wont work with any US domestic networks sim.
To make a very long story short just sell the verizon i4 you have and purchase an iphone either GSM unlocked or one for AT&T if you want to use it on that network.
Or to get to the bottom of it all. Which is your choice between Verizon vs. AT&T? I probably won't sell the 4. I'll just buy the 5 from Verizon, and wait until July 13th, and use the 5 on the AT&T network, but depending on how you answer between Verizon vs. AT&T.
php111 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 10:55 PM   #18
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem
 
Applejuiced's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: At the iPhone hacks section.
Quote:
Originally Posted by php111 View Post
Or to get to the bottom of it all. Which is your choice between Verizon vs. AT&T? I probably won't sell the 4. I'll just buy the 5 from Verizon, and wait until July 13th, and use the 5 on the AT&T network, but depending on how you answer between Verizon vs. AT&T.
I like AT&T better but its up to you.
Another thing is if you purchase a verizon i5 you can use it on AT&T but you will not be able to access AT&T's LTE network. You will just get 3G and HSPA for data.
You will only get LTE on verizon. Again, different radio bands
So figure out what network you want to stick with and get one that will work with them. Cause LTE is nice to have and if its available in your area you will enjoy it. Speed is very fast.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 10:58 PM   #19
php111
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
I like AT&T better but its up to you.
Another thing is if you purchase a verizon i5 you can use it on AT&T but you will not be able to access AT&T's LTE network.
You will only get LTE on verizon. Again, different radio bands
So figure out what network you want to stick with and get one that will work with them. Cause LTE is nice to have and if its available in your area you will enjoy it. Speed is very fast.
On the i5, will I still be able to get the JB?
php111 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 11:03 PM   #20
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem
 
Applejuiced's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: At the iPhone hacks section.
Yes, currently there is a JB on all idevices that run iOS 6.0 6.0.1 6.0.2 and 6.1
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 11:08 PM   #21
php111
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
Yes, currently there is a JB on all idevices that run iOS 6.0 6.0.1 6.0.2 and 6.1
Thank you for your help!
php111 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 12:14 AM   #22
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem
 
Applejuiced's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: At the iPhone hacks section.
Welcome
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 08:47 AM   #23
php111
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
Welcome
Applejuiced,

Do you currently have an unlocked iPhone that you could swap with me, and would you please be nice enough to make the swap?
php111 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 09:41 AM   #24
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem
 
Applejuiced's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: At the iPhone hacks section.
Quote:
Originally Posted by php111 View Post
Applejuiced,

Do you currently have an unlocked iPhone that you could swap with me, and would you please be nice enough to make the swap?
Yeah right.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 10:01 AM   #25
php111
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
Yeah right.
It's a no?
php111 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iOS 6.0, 6.0.1, 6.0.2 CDMA iPhone 4S/5 unlock solution okwhatev iPhone 7 Jan 26, 2013 11:15 AM
iPhone: Unlock iPhone 4S CDMA on iOS 5.1 mr0x Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 2 Dec 4, 2012 04:15 PM
Will the iPhone 5 CDMA phones still have an unlock able SIM card slot? slapguts iPhone 5 Sep 13, 2012 12:39 PM
Can't unlock iPhone 4s locked to Verizon cdma Iphoneheadache iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 3 Sep 3, 2012 06:55 PM
iPhone 4s CDMA unlock kdndk iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 6 Aug 28, 2012 12:15 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:56 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps