Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 5, 2013, 11:17 AM   #26
php111
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
I called Verizon to acquired the price of the unlocked iPhone 5, and they said they don't sell unlocked. I thought you said the iPhone 5 is the only one I could buy unlocked? I called Customer Service on *611, or 800-922-0204.
php111 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 02:59 PM   #27
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem
 
Applejuiced's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: At the iPhone hacks section.
Quote:
Originally Posted by php111 View Post
I called Verizon to acquired the price of the unlocked iPhone 5, and they said they don't sell unlocked. I thought you said the iPhone 5 is the only one I could buy unlocked? I called Customer Service on *611, or 800-922-0204.
You could buy it full price unlocked i5 at the Apple store.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 03:23 PM   #28
HiddenPuppy
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by php111 View Post
I called Verizon to acquired the price of the unlocked iPhone 5, and they said they don't sell unlocked. I thought you said the iPhone 5 is the only one I could buy unlocked? I called Customer Service on *611, or 800-922-0204.
They sell all their iPhone 5's unlocked, they just don't advertise it as such since if you use another SIM in them you will not get LTE only 3G
HiddenPuppy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 03:53 PM   #29
php111
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
I rather buy the i5 from Verizon at a discounted price. I thought they sell the i5's unlocked?
php111 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 04:00 PM   #30
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem
 
Applejuiced's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: At the iPhone hacks section.
Quote:
Originally Posted by php111 View Post
I rather buy the i5 from Verizon at a discounted price. I thought they sell the i5's unlocked?
What do you mean at discounted price?
By signing a 2 year contract?
All verizon iphone 5 are unlocked so you can use it on verizon and on any gsm carrier.
But remember no LTE on AT&T.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 04:07 PM   #31
php111
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
What do you mean at discounted price?
By signing a 2 year contract?
All verizon iphone 5 are unlocked so you can use it on verizon and on any gsm carrier.
But remember no LTE on AT&T.
I mean discounted as in upgrade eligibility which is on 3/13/13, and then keep the i5, and when my contract is up on 7/13/13, then port over to AT&T? That's what I mean.

Also, I called Verizon Customer Service earlier, and they don't sell i5 unlocked. They don't sell any iPhone model unlocked.
php111 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 04:13 PM   #32
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem
 
Applejuiced's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: At the iPhone hacks section.
Quote:
Originally Posted by php111 View Post
I mean discounted as in upgrade eligibility which is on 3/13/13, and then keep the i5, and when my contract is up on 7/13/13, then port over to AT&T? That's what I mean.

Also, I called Verizon Customer Service earlier, and they don't sell i5 unlocked. They don't sell any iPhone model unlocked.
All verizon iphone 5 models are fully unlocked for GSM use. Even when you get it under contract.
Just get one with an upgrade and you will be fine.
The verizon reps dont know everything about the iphone like we do here.
Applejuiced is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 04:43 PM   #33
php111
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
All verizon iphone 5 models are fully unlocked for GSM use. Even when you get it under contract.
Just get one with an upgrade and you will be fine.
The verizon reps dont know everything about the iphone like we do here.
Thank you so very very much!
php111 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 04:51 PM   #34
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem
 
Applejuiced's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: At the iPhone hacks section.
Welcome
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 04:53 PM   #35
php111
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
All verizon iphone 5 models are fully unlocked for GSM use. Even when you get it under contract.
Just get one with an upgrade and you will be fine.
The verizon reps dont know everything about the iphone like we do here.
I almost forgot to ask: What are the instructions for unlocking, or could you post a link to a YouTube video? Would I need to purchase an AT&T SIM card? What is the exact name of the card from AT&T?
php111 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 05:05 PM   #36
DerekRod
macrumors Demi-God
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by php111 View Post
I almost forgot to ask: What are the instructions for unlocking, or could you post a link to a YouTube video? Would I need to purchase an AT&T SIM card? What is the exact name of the card from AT&T?
There is nothing you need to do.The phone comes unlocked already
DerekRod is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 05:08 PM   #37
php111
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekRod View Post
There is nothing you need to do.The phone comes unlocked already
So I won't need to buy the AT&T SIM card either?
php111 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 05:37 PM   #38
DerekRod
macrumors Demi-God
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NYC
Quote:
Originally Posted by php111 View Post
So I won't need to buy the AT&T SIM card either?
Your kidding me right?If you want to use AT&T yes you do need to buy a sim card for AT&T. GSM requires a sim card or in the case of the iPhone 5 a nano sim card
DerekRod is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 06:46 PM   #39
takeshi74
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by php111 View Post
So I won't need to buy the AT&T SIM card either?
You still need a SIM from the carrier that you intend to use it with. Unlocking only removes the SIM restrictions placed on the device (and isn't necessary with the VZW 5 since it's already unlocked). Getting an at&t SIM has nothing to do with unlocking.
takeshi74 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 06:49 PM   #40
CEmajr
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Charlotte, NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by php111 View Post
I mean discounted as in upgrade eligibility which is on 3/13/13, and then keep the i5, and when my contract is up on 7/13/13, then port over to AT&T? That's what I mean.

Also, I called Verizon Customer Service earlier, and they don't sell i5 unlocked. They don't sell any iPhone model unlocked.
Doesn't it extend your contract by 2 years when you use an upgrade?
CEmajr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 07:47 PM   #41
php111
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEmajr View Post
Doesn't it extend your contract by 2 years when you use an upgrade?
You are right. My apologies for not thinking about that part. Would there be anyway out of it?
php111 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 08:14 PM   #42
lelisa13p
macrumors 68000
 
lelisa13p's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Atlanta, GA USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by php111 View Post
You are right. My apologies for not thinking about that part. Would there be anyway out of it?
Pay a big, fat ETF when you leave.
__________________
Experience is what you get when you thought you were getting something else.
lelisa13p is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 08:49 PM   #43
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem
 
Applejuiced's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: At the iPhone hacks section.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lelisa13p View Post
Pay a big, fat ETF when you leave.
That above or don't pay anything and get your credit ruined and a lawsuit filed against you.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 09:04 PM   #44
php111
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
That above or don't pay anything and get your credit ruined and a lawsuit filed against you.
But all my money goes towards a sleeve of mouth cancer which would be my Cope Snuff. I dip a lot, and don't have any cash left.
php111 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 09:07 PM   #45
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem
 
Applejuiced's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: At the iPhone hacks section.
Quote:
Originally Posted by php111 View Post
But all my money goes towards a sleeve of mouth cancer which would be my Cope Snuff. I dip a lot, and don't have any cash left.
You should win the lottery then and buy yourself a new mouth
Applejuiced is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 09:12 PM   #46
php111
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
You should win the lottery then and buy yourself a new mouth
I should buy myself more dip?
php111 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 09:12 PM   #47
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem
 
Applejuiced's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: At the iPhone hacks section.
Quote:
Originally Posted by php111 View Post
I should buy myself more dip?
Yes, a big bucket of it
Applejuiced is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 09:18 PM   #48
php111
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
Yes, a big bucket of it
I'm assuming you are being rude/sarcastic and you don't like helping me?
php111 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 09:28 PM   #49
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem
 
Applejuiced's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: At the iPhone hacks section.
Quote:
Originally Posted by php111 View Post
I'm assuming you are being rude/sarcastic and you don't like helping me?
Lol
You're funny and everything but its getting old and we all see from your posts that you're just messing around.
Time to Lock this thread...
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 10:05 PM   #50
Baggio
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by php111 View Post
I mean discounted as in upgrade eligibility which is on 3/13/13, and then keep the i5, and when my contract is up on 7/13/13, then port over to AT&T? That's what I mean.

Also, I called Verizon Customer Service earlier, and they don't sell i5 unlocked. They don't sell any iPhone model unlocked.
You do realize that you will extend your contract with Verizon for 2 more years if you use your upgrade to get the iPhone 5? Your contract will no longer expire on 7/13/13. It will be 3/13/15.
Baggio is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iOS 6.0, 6.0.1, 6.0.2 CDMA iPhone 4S/5 unlock solution okwhatev iPhone 7 Jan 26, 2013 12:15 PM
iPhone: Unlock iPhone 4S CDMA on iOS 5.1 mr0x Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 2 Dec 4, 2012 05:15 PM
Will the iPhone 5 CDMA phones still have an unlock able SIM card slot? slapguts iPhone 5 Sep 13, 2012 01:39 PM
Can't unlock iPhone 4s locked to Verizon cdma Iphoneheadache iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 3 Sep 3, 2012 07:55 PM
iPhone 4s CDMA unlock kdndk iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting 6 Aug 28, 2012 01:15 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:12 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC