Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ivnj

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 8, 2006
I have 5.1.1. If I jail break and install a few apps. Then upgrade to 6. I know it will remove the jail break. But what about the apps. Will the apps I installed be removed or will they stay and just not work anymore.

BrandonHacks

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2012
Texas
I have 5.1.1. If I jail break and install a few apps. Then upgrade to 6. I know it will remove the jail break. But what about the apps. Will the apps I installed be removed or will they stay and just not work anymore.

The apps will be removed and you'll need reinstall them.

ivnj

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 8, 2006
But if I'm unbroken I can't reinstall them as they require a break in the first place.

JPNFRK7

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2012
California

Cydia apps/Tweaks will be deleted. Appstore apps will not be unless you restore, which can be restored if there is a backup of the device

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
Whats holding you back from updating to 6.1 in the first instance ?

Update to 6.1 - jailbreak{when available} - problem resolved :)

cyks

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2002
Westchester County, NY
Whats holding you back from updating to 6.1 in the first instance ?

Update to 6.1 - jailbreak{when available} - problem resolved :)

Obviously, it's the fear/ reality of losing their apps/ tweaks if they update...and, with no timeframe set on when a jailbreak will arrive, it's a legit concern.

Sital

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2012
New England
Obviously, it's the fear/ reality of losing their apps/ tweaks if they update...and, with no timeframe set on when a jailbreak will arrive, it's a legit concern.

Looks like it's arriving today. Now, whether the tweaks/apps the OP uses will have been updated is another concern.

ivnj

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 8, 2006

Yes,that plus all the horror stories maps not working, etc. And I just jailbreaked last night. Useed asbinthe 2.0.4 on my mac mini.

But I'm not impressed. Never new asbinthe existed but found it last night and they have 6.1 break also looks like. But now nothing works. Its great. And Iprotect is awesome. But i went to cydia and infinifolders. It keeps spinning. And when it stops finally and I say install it says "host unreachable". Also springsboard and sbssettings are unreachable also. And I've crashed twice already with some error in red and yellow. I forget what it was.

So I'd love to try 6.1. But not sure if its worth it. Also might slow down my 3gs and don't know about battery life.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Yes,that plus all the horror stories maps not working, etc. And I just jailbreaked last night. Useed asbinthe 2.0.4 on my mac mini.

But I'm not impressed. Never new asbinthe existed but found it last night and they have 6.1 break also looks like. But now nothing works. Its great. And Iprotect is awesome. But i went to cydia and infinifolders. It keeps spinning. And when it stops finally and I say install it says "host unreachable". Also springsboard and sbssettings are unreachable also. And I've crashed twice already with some error in red and yellow. I forget what it was.

So I'd love to try 6.1. But not sure if its worth it. Also might slow down my 3gs and don't know about battery life.

Absinthe does not have a jailbreak for iOS 6, only the new Evasi0n jailbreak that came out today. That is the only thing you should be using and the only thing that will work to jailbreak.

You should backup your phone, restore it as new, restore from backup, and jailbreak using the Evasi0n tool at http://www.evasi0n.com

ivnj

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 8, 2006
Well I guess there is no harm in trying then. But can I go back to 5.1.1. if I decide. I forget how that works. Something about cydia and saving sone files?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.