Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X

Old Feb 3, 2013, 10:58 PM   #1
rodman109110
macrumors 6502

Combining and converting .m2v and .m2a files

Hello all,

I am working with some old video files that I would like to convert to a more manageable file. They are m2v and m2a files that when combined should play in sync. I have tried opening them on a couple different video players (vlc, quicktime, etc.) and get errors. These files were part of an old exhibit that was run off a compact flash card where the movie files are saved and I am assuming some basic software but I don't have access to that right now. The exhibit was pretty basic, hit a button and the movie would play.

Do you guys know of any programs out there that may play these old files or combine them so I can convert them to something better?

Thanks
Old Feb 4, 2013, 03:55 PM   #2
Dave Braine
macrumors 68020

Give MPEGStreamclip a try. It lists m2v but not m2a.
http://www.squared5.com/svideo/mpeg-streamclip-mac.html
Old Feb 5, 2013, 02:28 PM   #3
rodman109110
macrumors 6502

Thanks for the tip but still a no go. I am going to try opening these on our old windows box and see if that'll make a difference.
Old Mar 22, 2013, 04:17 PM   #4
rodman109110
macrumors 6502

I now have the hardware from the exhibit. The video is played through something called a video chameleon. Here is info from the instructions of the player

"Multiplexing: The Video Chameleon requires MPEG video and audio data to be in the form of separate elementary streams, i.e. not multi- plexed. The MPEG Author CD contains a de-multiplexing utility which is useful if MPEG1 data is already multiplexed. For a powerful utility including MPEG 2 functionality, see tmpgenc.com. We are not affiliated with and cannot support TMPGEnc, but we find it a useful product."

I had no luck finding these programs and I don't think we ever had the MPEG Author program. Does anyone know of programs that can multiplex seperate mpeg files?
Old Dec 13, 2013, 07:35 PM   #5
HiRez00
macrumors newbie

Same problem here ....

Greetings all,

I am also having a problem opening .m2v and .m2a audio and video files that came out of a Chameleon Video Player.

I have a client who wants to replace those "faulty" players with something new and gave us the compact flash cards that have the .m2v and .m2a files and the other "system" files that the Chameleon Video Player used. We were just going to 'MUX" / Re-encode the files into a new format that works with better updated HD Media Players.

We've tried just about every single video conversion program there is on both Mac OS X and Windows XP - Vista, etc and NOTHING seems to recognize these 2 files.

I'm very familiar with .m2v .ac3 and all MPEG-1 and 2 formats and THOUGHT this would be a no brainer, but whatever software was used to make these audio and video files DID something to them that they just will not open or convert.

Has anyone else been able to convert files that were specifically created for the Video Chameleon media players??

Please advise.
HiRez00 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X