Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals

Old Feb 4, 2013, 03:52 AM   #1
cazzette
macrumors newbie

Nice Bus-Powered External Hard Drive Enclosures

Hi all,

Can anyone recommend any nice bus-powered external hard drive enclosures? I will supply my own hard drive. It needs to support USB 3.0. Having Firewire is a plus but not necessary. I'd love to get a clean aluminum enclosure. I don't mind paying a little bit more for a quality/solid enclosure.

The closest thing I can find is OWC's Elite Pro Mini but their logo is conspicuous for me.

Thanks!
cazzette is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 11:03 AM   #2
Weaselboy
macrumors G5

I see Amazon lists some.
Weaselboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 10:36 AM   #3
Fishrrman
macrumors 68040

"Can anyone recommend any nice bus-powered external hard drive enclosures? I will supply my own hard drive."

Just a word of warning…

Whether a "bus-powered" enclosure can handle a given drive (that is to say, get it spinning and mounted on the desktop) is as much a factor of the drive as it is of the enclosure.

An enclosure that may work with bus power for one drive, may NOT work with a different drive.

In such cases, you may need either:
1. A "Y-cable" to connect to two ports on the Mac to "boost" the bus power to a level sufficient to get the drive spinning and mounted, or
2. An external power source (i.e., power block) and connecting cable.

Just be aware of such things before you buy….
Fishrrman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 11:15 AM   #4
COrocket
macrumors 6502

I got this one http://www.amazon.com/Mediasonic-HDK...onic+enclosure for pretty cheap. It is an aluminum enclosure with a plastic end cap where the USB 3.0 plug is. Its worked great for me so far. You are probably going to have to spend more on a drive if you want it to match the mac styling. Depending on the price it may be cheaper to buy the OWC drive with a HDD already installed because the standalone enclosures are fairly expensive. To my knowledge OWC drives are legitimate.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 11:33 AM   #5
Giuly
macrumors 68040

Location: That depends whether you ask for timezone, state of mind or GPS coordinates.
If you have Thunderbolt on your Mac, how about the Akitio Neutrino Thunderbolt Edition? It's the fastest bus-powered 2.5" hard drive (enclosure) known to mankind.
Thumb resize.
Giuly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 03:56 PM   #6
g4cube
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuly View Post
If you have Thunderbolt on your Mac, how about the Akitio Neutrino Thunderbolt Edition? It's the fastest bus-powered 2.5" hard drive (enclosure) known to mankind.
Correction: "...known to mankind" should be "...known to Giuly!"

LaCie's Rugged is $199, 120GB SSD, and has both Thunderbolt and USB 3.0 interface. See: http://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?id=10599
Thumb resize.
g4cube is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 04:14 PM   #7
Giuly
macrumors 68040

Location: That depends whether you ask for timezone, state of mind or GPS coordinates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by g4cube View Post
Correction: "...known to mankind" should be "...known to Giuly!"

LaCie's Rugged is $199, 120GB SSD, and has both Thunderbolt and USB 3.0 interface. See: http://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?id=10599
Thumb resize.
The LaCie Rugged disk has an internal SATA 3GBit/s connection, the Akitio is the only one with a SATA 6GBit/s chipset - according to Intel's list of certified Thunderbolt devices. And as USB 3.0 tops out at 5GBit/s, the Akitio is the fastest bus-powered 2.5" enclosure in existence.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 06:46 PM   #8
g4cube
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giuly View Post
The LaCie Rugged disk has an internal SATA 3GBit/s connection, the Akitio is the only one with a SATA 6GBit/s chipset - according to Intel's list of certified Thunderbolt devices. And as USB 3.0 tops out at 5GBit/s, the Akitio is the fastest bus-powered 2.5" enclosure in existence.
Incorrect.

The current SSD version has 6Gbit connection. See specs at lacie.com:

http://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?id=10599

Best to check facts before making counter claims.

Also, there is quite a bit of difference when looking at simply the interface speeds. See other reports here regarding benchmark performance of various SSD configurations.

You are partially correct:
USB 3.0 is 5Gbps
SATA III is 6Gbps
Thunderbolt is dual 10Gbps
Old Feb 7, 2013, 04:19 AM   #9
Giuly
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaCie
Shocking speeds up to 385MB/s (SSD)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akitio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeantro View Post
the third lacie rugged thunderbolt 128 SSD
Thumb resize.
Maybe that's the internal SSDs fault, though. But if you've seen benchmarks with an upgraded SSD in the Rugged disk, let me know.

Last edited by Giuly; Feb 7, 2013 at 04:44 AM.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 12:18 PM   #10
g4cube
macrumors 6502a

Post the Akitio using the Black Magic Design benchmark?
Old Jul 2, 2014, 12:50 PM   #11
TheBoojum
macrumors newbie

Anecdotal - Akitio Neutrino Thunderbolt SSD 512GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by g4cube View Post
Post the Akitio using the Black Magic Design benchmark?
My company bought me of these. It worked intermittently from the start and now (2 months) fails to mount altogether. I'm going through the support process to get a replacement.

Note: we bought 4 of these at the same time. So we have a 25% failure rate.

YMMV but I'm unhappy.
TheBoojum is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2014, 02:48 PM   #12
hfg
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by cazzette View Post
Hi all,

Can anyone recommend any nice bus-powered external hard drive enclosures? I will supply my own hard drive. It needs to support USB 3.0. Having Firewire is a plus but not necessary. I'd love to get a clean aluminum enclosure. I don't mind paying a little bit more for a quality/solid enclosure.

Thanks!
The Oyen MiniPro seems to work pretty well for me on USB 3.0 (has ASMedia 1053e controller with UASP):

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You can get it in several configurations:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss...ctronics%2C245

I also like the LaCie "Rugged" with both Thunderbolt and USB 3.0 ... and it boots Windows on a Mac.
hfg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 2, 2014, 07:29 PM   #13
ColdCase
macrumors 68000

I picked up one of these $22 StarTech.com 2.5-Inch USB 3.0 External SATA III SSD Hard Drive Enclosure with UASP based on recommendations here a couple months ago. I put an SSD into it and even my most power challenged devices can easily power it and its blazing fast. Important to look for UASP in an enclosure.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DFVZOAC/..._M3T1_ST1_dp_1

Not aluminum but is inconspicuous and has a solid quality feel.

Wait, this thread is over a year old....

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals