Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac

Old Feb 4, 2013, 07:56 AM   #1
Acorn
macrumors 68020

be careful where you download adobe reader

My mother downloaded adobe reader from a website that looked like adobe but wasnt adobe. it download adobe reader as well as installed a virus / malware called antikeylogger. What this program did was make all letters and numbers on your keyboard type a random number and cycle through it 1-9 on every key. so if you pressed the same key 5 times you would get 5 different number results. The only key that didnt seem effected was the backspace and return key. I managed to track it down as one of the newest programs installed on her computer.

It was a bit tricky to uninstall because it required a 5 digit pin to uninstall and the all the keys were cycling numbers. I managed to type it cycling and using the delete key.

Now her keyboard is finally functioning normal. I read on the net its official name is something backdoor. I am currently installing kaspersky to make sure its totally gone.

I am sure this was installed with adobe software but I dont know from where she got it. so be careful guys.
Acorn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 08:57 AM   #2
1934hotrod
macrumors regular

Did the upgrade come in as a software update the machine found, as in auto update or was this and update sent via email? I am asking because if the software update was sent to her machine the application or OS found then that is a problem. If this was an update found by the user then the work around would be only use updates sent by the application.

The other consideration to be mindful of is these social gossip forums, facebook, twitter have their share of nasties being pumped into the unsuspecting users machines. Get something such as Norton's cheep insurance, and sit behind a firewall, your security is in your hands.
1934hotrod is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 09:03 AM   #3
Acorn
macrumors 68020

she didnt have adobe reader installed. she wanted to print out a tax form so she went on the net and downloaded adobe reader from the net. however she thinks it was adobe website however i think she was spoofed. either way the antikeylogger app that caused the problem was installed with adobe reader.

I cant say exactly what the website address was but im sure it wasnt adobe official. they are pretty careful.
Acorn is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac