Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals

Old Feb 4, 2013, 07:17 AM   #1
davidra
macrumors 6502

External TM drives disconnecting during sleep

This has been mentioned several times on these forums, and especially on the Apple forums as well (https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0). I have a Fantom Green Drive USB 3.0 directly connected to my new 27" iMac. I am using it as a TM drive and also as a source for a CCC backup in a second partition. Whenever the iMac goes to sleep the drive is immediately disconnected and when I wake the machine I get the "did not eject drive before disconnecting". I had assumed this was due to the brand of drive I was using, and pretty much decided to just keep the Mac from sleeping ever (although the display does sleep). However, after seeing the above thread, it appears that:
1. This occurs with a whole lot of drives
2. It occurred with drives that worked fine before the OS upgrade to ML
3. Nobody seems to have any specific solutions except for keeping your computer awake 24/7.

Given all of the above, this sounds like a bug associated with ML. I'm wondering if anyone else using Green Drives has this problem, and I'm also wondering if I am missing something in the settings. I have tried with "Put hard disks to sleep when possible" both checked and unchecked with no difference. I have checked "wake for network access", "allow power button to put the computer to sleep" and " start up automatically after a power failure" as I can't see that these would have any effect. The drive works perfectly as long as the computer is awake; if I put it to sleep it immediately disconnects. I've sent a ticket to the company to see what they say, but I'm wondering if others have found a solution to this.
davidra is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 06:26 PM   #2
davidra
macrumors 6502

Anyone?
I actually hooked the drive up to my son's Mac Pro. It did not disconnect after going to sleep. On the iMac it immediately disconnects. Given the comments on the Apple site I'm thinking this might be a bug in Mountain Lion. Is the power output of the USB ports on new iMacs the same as Mac Pro's? Is there a quick way to determine the output? Everything else seems to work fine using the USB outputs. Are there significant issues with leaving the iMac on 24/7 with only the display sleeping?

Another thing I noted was that when I clicked "sleep" on the Mac Pro it took it a minute or so for the screen to shut down. On my iMac it immediately goes black when I click "sleep". Is this normal behavior?
Old Feb 5, 2013, 04:17 AM   #3
Mr. Retrofire
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidra View Post
This has been mentioned several times on these forums, and especially on the Apple forums as well (https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0)
1. This occurs with a whole lot of drives
2. It occurred with drives that worked fine before the OS upgrade to ML
3. Nobody seems to have any specific solutions except for keeping your computer awake 24/7...
The thread says: Reset the SMC, up to 4 times (in one case).

“Only the dead have seen the end of the war.”
-- Plato --
Mr. Retrofire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 05:19 AM   #4
davidra
macrumors 6502

I have reset (i.e. shut down and unplug) multiple times with no effect. Additional info: I hooked up a portable Toshiba external drive, put it to sleep and the drive remained connected. It appears to be an issue of this iMac and this drive specifically. I have no idea why it will remain connected to a Mac Pro but disconnects from an iMac.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Mac Peripherals