Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Feb 7, 2013, 07:51 PM   #26
mac jones
macrumors 68040

Wrong with you?

If there's something wrong with 'you', then perhaps I should check into a nut house.
mac jones is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 08:35 PM   #27
DyslexicKobe
macrumors newbie

[All iPads] What's wrong with me? Why do I want an iPad mini?

I've also went from an iPad 3 to a mini. Don't regret it at all. The battery life is phenomenal and the portability is worth the lack of retina screen. Best decision.
DyslexicKobe is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 10:40 PM   #28
TyPod
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Steps View Post
I have an iPad 3 and my friends recently got an iPad mini and they let me fiddle with it a bit. I immediately wanted it!

Why? Like if it had retina, I'd probably do something to buy it.

But why do I want something smaller? I have an iPhone 5... that should be sufficient.

X(
The iPad mini is sick, that's why! My roommate has an iPad and I think he's jealous of my mini haha.
TyPod is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 11:20 PM   #29
Cartaphilus
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by baypharm View Post
Divergence?????? Do you even know what that means?
I was referring to the divergence of views regarding the difference a retina display makes.
Cartaphilus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 02:23 AM   #30
wizzerandchips
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by montycat View Post
I love the mini…perfect size
Be nice to think your a women saying a mini fits perfectly

----------

Quote:
Divergence?????? Do you even know what that means?
do you realise you only need to put 1 question mark, and not 5 or 6 !
wizzerandchips is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 11:31 AM   #31
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizzerandchips View Post
Do you realize you could have used a questionmark there?
Old Feb 9, 2013, 09:11 PM   #32
baypharm
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Be nice to think your a women saying a mini fits perfectly

----------

And while you're at it...use your spell check....the world is spelled "realize" not realize.....
baypharm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:34 AM   #33
Cartaphilus
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
And while you're at it...use your spell check....the world is spelled "realize" not realize.....
Unless, of course, you follow British orthography, as some pretty fair writers have. Be careful, it's their language, and if we don't treat it well, they'll take it back.
Cartaphilus is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 08:20 AM   #34
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cartaphilus View Post
There is something very strange about the way people say they feel about retina displays. Unless it's a side-by-side comparison, I can hardly see any difference between a retina and non-retina screen on a full-sized iPad (and we have both in the house), so I certainly can't imagine it could matter on a mini which has a smaller screen and looks great to me.

Nonetheless, there are plenty of credible people posting every day about how they have trouble reading type on a non-retina display, or that once they'd gotten used to retina they can't abide anything else.

I'm really no longer persuaded that it's just hype or psychology as I first suspected, but that it must be something different about a person's eye or visual cortex that accounts for the divergence.

I don't suppose we're covered up by ophthalmologists or neuroscientists on this thread, but it would be interesting to know if there's been research. Or educated guesses.
There are situations where we strongly prefer one thing over another, even though we cannot explain what the difference is. That's the case with a retina display. You can put two Macs or two iPads side by side, and one screen is much nicer than the other because of Retina display, but many people won't be able to describe what the difference actually is.

That said, lots of people are just idiots who are looking for something to complain about, and the iPad mini having no Retina display is a godsend for them, so they can complain.

----------

Quote:
The curse of the grammer nazi (and I'm writing "grammer" on purpose, it fits much better) strikes again.

1. It seems you didn't realise that there are variants of the English language, for example British English and American English, with different spellings and sometimes entirely different words.

2. The world is spelled "world", not "realize".

3. If you complain about someone's spelling, you need to turn the spelling checker off or your sentence makes no sense.

4. Grammar: "Use your spell check" is wrong. You perform a spell check by using a spell checker. So: Use your spell checker.

5. If you are Harry Potter then you want to check your spells. Muggles want to check the spelling of their words and use spelling checkers, not spell checkers.
gnasher729 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 04:03 PM   #35
Arianasieghart
macrumors newbie

I love my mini.. I had the first generation iPad until my boyfriend got his 4.. I love his and was planning to buy one with retina but I fell in love with the size am portability of the mini.. The screen doesn't even bother me
Old Feb 10, 2013, 04:12 PM   #36
Cutterschoice
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnasher729 View Post

5. If you are Harry Potter then you want to check your spells. Muggles want to check the spelling of their words and use spelling checkers, not spell checkers.
Can I steal this please, quality.
Cutterschoice is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:31 AM   #37
pat park
macrumors 6502a

Ipad mini is the perfect size. The larger ipad now seems so big and bulky now.

Returned the ipad 4 and haven't looked back. Love the ipad mini. I missed the retina screen at first, but after using it for a few weeks, it's all good now.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 09:09 AM   #38
wjereb
macrumors newbie

I had really no desire to buy a mini since I already had an iPad3 and an iPhone 5 but since my company gave everyone a Mini for having a successful year I have been using mine quite a bit. I like the form factor but I still use my iPad. It really depends which one is the most charged. The fact that it is not a retina display does not factor in. The only problem I have is iCloud is not syncing my calendar and reminders all the time.

Bill J
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:03 AM   #39
wizzerandchips
macrumors 6502

Quote:
im British, we spell it with an S not Z, learn some history, and real English, we did invent the language !.

and its spelt...not spelled. Jees (Jeez) kids these days.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:14 AM   #40
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

Quote:
im British, we spell it with an S not Z, learn some history, and real English, we did invent the language !.

and its spelt...not spelled. Jees (Jeez) kids these days.
We took the u out of color and America.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:22 AM   #41
pimentoLoaf
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
I have an iPad 3 and my friends recently got an iPad mini and they let me fiddle with it a bit. I immediately wanted it!

But why do I want something smaller? I have an iPhone 5... that should be sufficient.

X(
Because you'd much prefer a Nook HD, only that it doesn't run iOS. Go ahead: buy the Nook.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:29 PM   #42
DesertEagle
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
How can the world be "spelled" anything? I should assume you meant "word" but you're the one who recommends others to use the spell check (which contradicts the assumption).

In standard UK English, it's "realise". Cambridge University press sticks to this, as do all the newspapers. According to the Oxford English Dictionary, "realize" and "realise" are both correct, although the former is preferable by the OED standard.
DesertEagle is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 02:20 PM   #43
bossxii
macrumors 68000

Stick with the 3, if you do any reading at all you will notice the non retina display. Also some of the apps I've used don't scale very well to the Mini. I admit the form factor is very nice, but after using one for a few weeks and the "omg this is such a cool new gadget" wears off... you will happy you have your full size retina display.

If anything just hang out until the new iPad 5 shows up this fall that is thinner and lighter with all the bells and whistles of the 4, or by then the mini should have a retina display.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 02:31 PM   #44
rockyroad55
macrumors 68040

Quote:
World? HAHAHA. FAIL
Old Feb 11, 2013, 02:31 PM   #45
foiden
macrumors 6502a

Funny enough, if it wasn't for my musical reasons, I'd probably go mini. Problem is that retina display, along with the display size, is a real necessity when you use the thing as a music sheet reader and you're using it for scanned in pieces of music on a stand. Full page piano music has way more demands than text. It's mainly there where the big difference is made. Outside of that I'd probably go mini. Though a person who likes games might find a different reason. iPhone games only display as retina on retina iPads, so for those who want iPhone-only apps to look fantastic and clear while at 2X instead of all stretched out and blurry will only get that with retina.
foiden is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 02:15 AM   #46
wizzerandchips
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by darngooddesign View Post
We took the u out of color and America.

Well, the French did really...And only because you didn't like paying taxes, no change there then .
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:08 AM   #47
darngooddesign
macrumors G3

Quote:
Well, the French did really...And only because you didn't like paying taxes, no change there then .
Well we didn't like paying taxes towards a goverment when we had no input in how they administered us.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 08:43 AM   #48
bonskovsky
Banned

Quote:
What's wrong with me? Why do I want an iPad mini?
You got TOO MUCH MONEY
bonskovsky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2013, 11:12 AM   #49
wizzerandchips
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by darngooddesign View Post
Well we didn't like paying taxes towards a goverment when we had no input in how they administered us.
lol..like i said...no change..we elect but still they do what they want.
Old Feb 12, 2013, 12:20 PM   #50
rockyroad55
macrumors 68040

Quote:

X(
You can't watch videos comfortably on an iPhone
rockyroad55 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad