Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 4, 2013, 10:15 AM   #1
ee13lbp
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Gaming Slowdown

So I was playing a game through bootcamp for about half an hour, and then massive lag kicks in suddenly. In comparison to other games I played a while back, the computer wasn't even that hot at the time but all animation (even windows animation) was shudderingly slow.

I am using the new Mac Mini, with the integrated hd4000. I was playing Saints Row. No big deal if the issue can't be solved, but I was a little taken aback since I've spent hours video editing and rendering and even though the computer gets pretty hot then, I've never experienced slow down like this.

When I booted back into OS X the slowdown was gone, so it might be an issue with bootcamp?
__________________
Mac Mini i5 2.5Ghz | Macbook 2.0Ghz | iPhone 4 16Gb
ee13lbp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 12:17 PM   #2
koolmagicguy
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by ee13lbp View Post
So I was playing a game through bootcamp for about half an hour, and then massive lag kicks in suddenly. In comparison to other games I played a while back, the computer wasn't even that hot at the time but all animation (even windows animation) was shudderingly slow.

I am using the new Mac Mini, with the integrated hd4000. I was playing Saints Row. No big deal if the issue can't be solved, but I was a little taken aback since I've spent hours video editing and rendering and even though the computer gets pretty hot then, I've never experienced slow down like this.

When I booted back into OS X the slowdown was gone, so it might be an issue with bootcamp?
It's more likely to be a problem with RAM. How much memory and video memory does your Mac have?
koolmagicguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 02:28 PM   #3
ee13lbp
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by koolmagicguy View Post
It's more likely to be a problem with RAM. How much memory and video memory does your Mac have?
I've got the stock 4gb RAM which hence leads to 512Mb of VRAM (don't quote me on that). I'm going to upgrade to 16Gb soon anyway, do you think that will solve the problem?
__________________
Mac Mini i5 2.5Ghz | Macbook 2.0Ghz | iPhone 4 16Gb
ee13lbp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 06:20 PM   #4
SingularityG
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Looks like overheating to me. I noticed there is a difference in how OS X and Windows handle fans. Mountain Lion seems to run fans more efficiently, for some reason.

Anyway, check your Mac Mini for dust and try to clean out as much of it as you can, especially from inside the fan.
__________________
sINGULARITY uNIVERSE
SingularityG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 01:15 AM   #5
ee13lbp
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingularityG View Post
Looks like overheating to me. I noticed there is a difference in how OS X and Windows handle fans. Mountain Lion seems to run fans more efficiently, for some reason.

Anyway, check your Mac Mini for dust and try to clean out as much of it as you can, especially from inside the fan.
Do you think I should use some sort of application to manually set the speeds of my fans before I start playing? My mini seems to lack dust inside from what I can see, but then again I suppose I need to remove the fan to check properly..
__________________
Mac Mini i5 2.5Ghz | Macbook 2.0Ghz | iPhone 4 16Gb
ee13lbp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 05:03 AM   #6
SingularityG
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ee13lbp View Post
Do you think I should use some sort of application to manually set the speeds of my fans before I start playing? My mini seems to lack dust inside from what I can see, but then again I suppose I need to remove the fan to check properly..
You know, for some time I have been wanting to try SpeedFan and see whether it helps performance under Bootcamp.

When I play a more resource intensive game for let's say an hour, then restart the Mac to OS X, the fans kick in much loudly and I guess it's because they simply run on higher speed.

Therefore, you are welcome to test it out and see if that changes anything.
__________________
sINGULARITY uNIVERSE
SingularityG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 05:12 AM   #7
ee13lbp
Thread Starter
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by SingularityG View Post
You know, for some time I have been wanting to try SpeedFan and see whether it helps performance under Bootcamp.

When I play a more resource intensive game for let's say an hour, then restart the Mac to OS X, the fans kick in much loudly and I guess it's because they simply run on higher speed.

Therefore, you are welcome to test it out and see if that changes anything.
Thanks ill give it a go. It won't damage the computer if I leave the fans on highest rpm for a bit, will it? Should I do 6500rpm or higher?
__________________
Mac Mini i5 2.5Ghz | Macbook 2.0Ghz | iPhone 4 16Gb
ee13lbp is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 06:37 AM   #8
SingularityG
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ee13lbp View Post
Thanks ill give it a go. It won't damage the computer if I leave the fans on highest rpm for a bit, will it? Should I do 6500rpm or higher?
It shouldn't damage the Mac Mini, but it is still recommended to go @ 95% speed, just in case.

I could not find maximum speed of the Mac Mini fans, but as for my 2010 Macbook Pro, it's 6000rpm according to Fan Control.

You don't have to set an exact value for the speed, but the temperature at which the fans kick in at full (or 95%) speed, so you can start cooling down your system more and sooner.

There is a nice tutorial for it here.
__________________
sINGULARITY uNIVERSE
SingularityG is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 02:54 AM   #9
kavi123
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
q

Last edited by kavi123; Feb 6, 2013 at 04:00 AM.
kavi123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Slowdown issues Kazesei MacBook Pro 17 Jun 26, 2013 10:15 AM
Strange slowdown... AlbertEinstein Mac mini 1 Feb 26, 2013 01:15 PM
LTE Slowdown? willmtaylor iPhone 2 Sep 11, 2012 01:03 PM
Severe Slowdown with ML Kashchei OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion 18 Jul 26, 2012 10:12 AM
iPhone Slowdown? ProwlingTiger iPhone 7 Jun 19, 2012 08:41 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:57 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC