Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games

Old Feb 4, 2013, 10:15 AM   #1
ee13lbp
macrumors member

Gaming Slowdown

So I was playing a game through bootcamp for about half an hour, and then massive lag kicks in suddenly. In comparison to other games I played a while back, the computer wasn't even that hot at the time but all animation (even windows animation) was shudderingly slow.

I am using the new Mac Mini, with the integrated hd4000. I was playing Saints Row. No big deal if the issue can't be solved, but I was a little taken aback since I've spent hours video editing and rendering and even though the computer gets pretty hot then, I've never experienced slow down like this.

When I booted back into OS X the slowdown was gone, so it might be an issue with bootcamp?
Old Feb 4, 2013, 12:17 PM   #2
koolmagicguy
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ee13lbp View Post
So I was playing a game through bootcamp for about half an hour, and then massive lag kicks in suddenly. In comparison to other games I played a while back, the computer wasn't even that hot at the time but all animation (even windows animation) was shudderingly slow.

I am using the new Mac Mini, with the integrated hd4000. I was playing Saints Row. No big deal if the issue can't be solved, but I was a little taken aback since I've spent hours video editing and rendering and even though the computer gets pretty hot then, I've never experienced slow down like this.

When I booted back into OS X the slowdown was gone, so it might be an issue with bootcamp?
It's more likely to be a problem with RAM. How much memory and video memory does your Mac have?
koolmagicguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 02:28 PM   #3
ee13lbp
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolmagicguy View Post
It's more likely to be a problem with RAM. How much memory and video memory does your Mac have?
I've got the stock 4gb RAM which hence leads to 512Mb of VRAM (don't quote me on that). I'm going to upgrade to 16Gb soon anyway, do you think that will solve the problem?
Old Feb 4, 2013, 06:20 PM   #4
SingularityG
macrumors 6502

Looks like overheating to me. I noticed there is a difference in how OS X and Windows handle fans. Mountain Lion seems to run fans more efficiently, for some reason.

Anyway, check your Mac Mini for dust and try to clean out as much of it as you can, especially from inside the fan.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 01:15 AM   #5
ee13lbp
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingularityG View Post
Looks like overheating to me. I noticed there is a difference in how OS X and Windows handle fans. Mountain Lion seems to run fans more efficiently, for some reason.

Anyway, check your Mac Mini for dust and try to clean out as much of it as you can, especially from inside the fan.
Do you think I should use some sort of application to manually set the speeds of my fans before I start playing? My mini seems to lack dust inside from what I can see, but then again I suppose I need to remove the fan to check properly..
Old Feb 5, 2013, 05:03 AM   #6
SingularityG
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Do you think I should use some sort of application to manually set the speeds of my fans before I start playing? My mini seems to lack dust inside from what I can see, but then again I suppose I need to remove the fan to check properly..
You know, for some time I have been wanting to try SpeedFan and see whether it helps performance under Bootcamp.

When I play a more resource intensive game for let's say an hour, then restart the Mac to OS X, the fans kick in much loudly and I guess it's because they simply run on higher speed.

Therefore, you are welcome to test it out and see if that changes anything.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 05:12 AM   #7
ee13lbp
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingularityG View Post
You know, for some time I have been wanting to try SpeedFan and see whether it helps performance under Bootcamp.

When I play a more resource intensive game for let's say an hour, then restart the Mac to OS X, the fans kick in much loudly and I guess it's because they simply run on higher speed.

Therefore, you are welcome to test it out and see if that changes anything.
Thanks ill give it a go. It won't damage the computer if I leave the fans on highest rpm for a bit, will it? Should I do 6500rpm or higher?
Old Feb 5, 2013, 06:37 AM   #8
SingularityG
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Thanks ill give it a go. It won't damage the computer if I leave the fans on highest rpm for a bit, will it? Should I do 6500rpm or higher?
It shouldn't damage the Mac Mini, but it is still recommended to go @ 95% speed, just in case.

I could not find maximum speed of the Mac Mini fans, but as for my 2010 Macbook Pro, it's 6000rpm according to Fan Control.

You don't have to set an exact value for the speed, but the temperature at which the fans kick in at full (or 95%) speed, so you can start cooling down your system more and sooner.

There is a nice tutorial for it here.
Old Feb 6, 2013, 02:54 AM   #9
kavi123
macrumors newbie

q

Last edited by kavi123; Feb 6, 2013 at 04:00 AM.
kavi123 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Mac and PC Games