Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
I have been thinking of getting the new iPad with LTE, but is it that much faster doing it that way, instead of using my IP5 sa a wifi hotspot?

Just wondering if it is worth the extra money for the WiFi+LTE

I live in NJ and travel all over but wondering if anyone else has the new iPad with LTE?

Saberon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
It won't be any faster whether you tether your iPhone 5 or get LTE directly on the iPad.

However, tethering will drain your iPhone's battery very quickly, which is why I got the LTE iPad myself. You also get GPS on the LTE version.

KeepCalmPeople

macrumors 65816
Sep 5, 2012
Los Angeles, California
I have an AT&T iPhone 5 and AT&T iPad 4. If you tether an iPad to your iPhone 5, the only thing that can prevent you from enjoying the full LTE bandwidth your phone enjoys, is the speed of the hotspot. I'm pretty sure that the speed of the hotspot exceeds the highest LTE speed you're likely to see with AT&T.

So the answer to your question, is that the speed of an AT&T iPad 4 will be the same as that of a wi-fi iPad 4 tethered to your iPhone 5 via a wi-fi hotspot.

Most people justify the extra cost because they either don't have an LTE phone with hotspot capability, they don't want to drain their phone battery using the wi-fi hotspot, they don't want to wait for the hotspot connection to be made each time they want to access the internet from their iPad, or they don't want to have to carry their phone every time they use their iPad out and about.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.