Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 5, 2013, 09:15 PM   #551
floridasteal
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
donated $20 pretty excited. Deciding if i should purchase an ipad or not now.
floridasteal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 09:18 PM   #552
adnbek
macrumors 65816
 
adnbek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Why is it necessary to remove the backup password in iTunes before jailbreaking? I don't understand the necessity for this. Can someone care to explain?
adnbek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 09:19 PM   #553
jrayino
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasteal View Post
donated $20 pretty excited. Deciding if i should purchase an ipad or not now.
I would If I could afford it
jrayino is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 09:51 PM   #554
Freezerburnt
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by magbarn View Post
borrow a windows machine...
download the official IPSW and use that to restore your phone on the windows machine running itunes. For some reason I've always had issues restoring an official firmware on a IOS device on my MacBooks, but always works in windows.

After the restore, disconnect from windows machine and restore it on your mac to restore your previous backup (which I hope you did)
I'll give that a try - thank you!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonMac50 View Post
Have you tried to restore with Redsn0w?
Culd you guide me through the steps please? I tried to do a pwned DHS on RedSn0w but it didn't work...
Freezerburnt is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 12:29 AM   #555
bandofbrothers
macrumors 68040
 
bandofbrothers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Uk
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulie6978 View Post
does this need to be downloaded strictly from a PC/laptop/MAC or is there a way to load up from my iphone or ipad mini?

You will need a pc or mac to carry out this jail break. .
bandofbrothers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 03:31 AM   #556
ritmomundo
macrumors 68000
 
ritmomundo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bel Air, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by adnbek View Post
Why is it necessary to remove the backup password in iTunes before jailbreaking? I don't understand the necessity for this. Can someone care to explain?
i was wondering the same thing. Im not sure if the data is encrypted on the phone itself, or just in the itunes backup. So the JB might need unencrypted access to "inject" the JB code.

Also, and I know its an unlikely scenario, but is it possible for the evasi0n devs to collect info (saved passwords, etc) during the JB process?
ritmomundo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 07:47 AM   #557
tmoney468
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritmomundo View Post
i was wondering the same thing. Im not sure if the data is encrypted on the phone itself, or just in the itunes backup. So the JB might need unencrypted access to "inject" the JB code.

Also, and I know its an unlikely scenario, but is it possible for the evasi0n devs to collect info (saved passwords, etc) during the JB process?
Maybe it's because of how they got the jailbreak to work?

Quote:
Evasi0n alters the socket that allows programs to communicate with a program called Launch Daemon, abbreviated launchd, a master process that loads first whenever an iOS device boots up and can launch applications that require “root” privileges, a step beyond the control of the OS than users are granted by default. That means that whenever an iPhone or iPad’s mobile backup runs, it automatically grants all programs access to the time zone file and, thanks to the symbolic link trick, access to launchd.
http://9to5mac.com/2013/02/05/evasi0...le-ios-device/
tmoney468 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 08:09 AM   #558
rocknblogger
macrumors 68000
 
rocknblogger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: New Jersey
Send a message via Skype™ to rocknblogger
Quote:
Originally Posted by ritmomundo View Post
It's an anti piracy feature. Try buying the paid version.
That's not true. I bought it and its doing the same thing. At times when I open the app drawer the cards are black. Other times they show the screenshot. Personally I think it looks better in the video demo than live on your phone.
__________________
Don't be stupid.
rocknblogger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 10:47 AM   #559
boredazngirl13
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Does anyone know how the server is doing today? Is it still flooded?
boredazngirl13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 11:11 AM   #560
Wicked1
macrumors 68040
 
Wicked1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Jersey
There is an article on cnet.com where Apple warns against jail breaking, will be interesting to see if they start to deny Warranty service to JB iPhones as they claim they will.
Wicked1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 11:24 AM   #561
ritmomundo
macrumors 68000
 
ritmomundo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Bel Air, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknblogger View Post
That's not true. I bought it and its doing the same thing. At times when I open the app drawer the cards are black. Other times they show the screenshot. Personally I think it looks better in the video demo than live on your phone.
Mine go black as well from time to time, especially if theres more than 8 apps open (I think they're working on a fix for this), but the guy I replied to said his cards were disappearing completely, leaving a blank spot where the card should be, not a black spot.
ritmomundo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 11:39 AM   #562
George Knighton
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Send a message via AIM to George Knighton
For the first time since switching to iPhones when the 4 came out, I am not interested in jailbreaking.

I've never been into the tweaks that steal battery life and processor cycles, and the addition of Do Not Disturb to the firmware has basically taken care of the only reason I had to jailbreak.

I'll certainly keep my eyes peeled for some fabulous application nobody's thought of before, but jailbreaking with the iPhone 5 is just not a priority for me!
__________________
Too many Apple products to list.
George Knighton is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 02:10 PM   #563
olmo47
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Some where near mars
Send a message via Yahoo to olmo47 Send a message via Skype™ to olmo47
Jailbreack

I like to give my 1 Cent feeling:

I am one that I would prefer to stay with the 'ethical legal' surroundings, and I think that those people that spend many hours making 'application' for all of us, deserve their pay.

I like to give one "however" if I do jailbreack the iPhone i have one reason (valid to me) is that that being able to "tether" my iPhone with laptop or iPad, would be nice to (from time to time) stay in my pajamas and get hook to the web.

As for the moment (and think that would stay that way) I can't pay (Comcast, Verizon, Sprint) for either internet, or hot spot, is out of my badged.

So I am thinking jailbreack the phone just to connect to the web, I would prefer that Apple would aloud that...but I am dreaming...sorry Steve Jobs..and others.

Love your product, and I have bough many applications, and glad to contribute, but how much is enough?

a good costumer
__________________
I've learned.... That everyone you meet deserves to be greeted with a smile.
olmo47 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 02:43 PM   #564
einmusiker
macrumors 68020
 
einmusiker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Location: Location:
Not much reason for me to jailbreak anymore either, other than maybe finding a better keyboard. But I did it because I PAID for this device and it's MINE.
__________________
I <3 Macbook pro, I <3 GoOgle Voice, I <3 my Android phone.
waiting for the shtuff to hit the fan when people start using tons of data on LTE :Popping popcorn:
einmusiker is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2013, 06:36 PM   #565
M5RahuL
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: NJ [will always be home ] ... Denver, CO
Quote:
Originally Posted by olmo47 View Post
........
Love your product, and I have bough many applications, and glad to contribute, but how much is enough?

a good costumer
Contribution, if any, should be within the realm of your comfort. Don't feel compelled to donate, especially if you're facing any kind of financial burden!

I've usually donated about $20-$25 to the dev team. However, this time around, I felt a bit generous so upped the ante to $100. I'm loving my iPhone, all over again !!
__________________
Late '13 15" rMBP 2.3'16' 512 iPad Air LTE Mini Retina LTE
FS Mid '13 MBA i7`8`256 w/AppleCare thru late 2016! ; Mid '13 13" rMBP 2.4' 8'256 ; iP5S Unlocked ; Note 3
M5RahuL is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 10:23 AM   #566
KanosWRX
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstankus View Post
If you pay for 5GB of data ON YOUR PHONE and hack your phone to be able to share some of it with your iPad in order to circumvent the pricing scheme to charge for that option, what would you call it?
I would call it using my phones data how I want. Tell me where is the data going through? the phone, where did I pay for the data, my phone. so tell me again whats wrong with using my phones data? What's next the cell phone companies are going to say I can't use my data to watch netflix, instead ill have to pay for their movie service they might come up with. It's the same idea. If I pay for 5 GB who cares how I use it, I paid for it, its my data!!
KanosWRX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 10:26 AM   #567
dukebound85
macrumors P6
 
dukebound85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: 5045 feet above sea level
Quote:
Originally Posted by KanosWRX View Post
I would call it using my phones data how I want. Tell me where is the data going through? the phone, where did I pay for the data, my phone. so tell me again whats wrong with using my phones data?
I have already laid out the reasoning in my earlier posts.

In short, you agreed to use their service via their terms

Don't like it, don't agree to it.

Furthermore, they price the data plans knowing not everyone uses 5gigs. If everyone did use 5 gigs a month, you can be sure that the data plan pricing would be substantially higher.
dukebound85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 10:56 AM   #568
bilboa
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukebound85 View Post
I have already laid out the reasoning in my earlier posts.

In short, you agreed to use their service via their terms

Don't like it, don't agree to it.

Furthermore, they price the data plans knowing not everyone uses 5gigs. If everyone did use 5 gigs a month, you can be sure that the data plan pricing would be substantially higher.
I agree with your last paragraph. The price of data plans without tethering was based on the average amount of data people will use on their phones. People who think they should be entitled to use their phone's data connection as their main home internet connection without paying any more are being a bit naïve.

However, my beef with them is that they don't offer a lower priced tethering plan with less data. I'm a very light data user, and the only time I would use tethering is when I occasionally want to read web pages or check email on my wifi iPad instead of on my iPhone. It's not worth an extra $20 a month to me to buy AT&T's tethering just for that though; I'll just make do with my iPhone in that case. However I never use more than 3 GB per month, so I would buy a 3 GB tethering plan for a few dollars more than my current non-tethering plan if AT&T offered one. I would guess a lot more people would be willing to buy AT&T's tethering plan if they offered more options for light users like myself.

Last edited by bilboa; Feb 7, 2013 at 11:02 AM.
bilboa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 01:04 PM   #569
Monkeydo
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtrooper1966 View Post
Fairly painless!
iPhone 4S iOS 6.1
Mac OS X

DL'd and installed evasi0n on freshly wiped device, 5 minutes.

No stock weather app issue.

Rebuilding from scratch, no iTunes backup or PkgBackup.

Was a bit sluggish loading up Cydia and getting into my account, but all is as it should be, more or less....

Image

Image

Need sleep, will get into some real stuff with iFile tomorrow...
I've looked for your lock screen theme, couldn't find it. Are you able to share please?
Monkeydo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 11:58 AM   #570
olmo47
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Some where near mars
Send a message via Yahoo to olmo47 Send a message via Skype™ to olmo47
Jailbreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5RahuL View Post
Contribution, if any, should be within the realm of your comfort. Don't feel compelled to donate, especially if you're facing any kind of financial burden!

I've usually donated about $20-$25 to the dev team. However, this time around, I felt a bit generous so upped the ante to $100. I'm loving my iPhone, all over again !!
We are (financially) If any one had a application for me to 'tether' iPhone with out jailbreak would be happier!

So is there any one can swing one my way?
__________________
I've learned.... That everyone you meet deserves to be greeted with a smile.
olmo47 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 01:18 PM   #571
KanosWRX
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukebound85 View Post
I have already laid out the reasoning in my earlier posts.

In short, you agreed to use their service via their terms

Don't like it, don't agree to it.

Furthermore, they price the data plans knowing not everyone uses 5gigs. If everyone did use 5 gigs a month, you can be sure that the data plan pricing would be substantially higher.
Here is the thing. If they say they offer me 5 gigs it doesn't mean they can "assume" I won't use it and therefore make it so I can't use my data how I want. Data is data, like electricity is electricity. They have no right to tell me how to use it. If they want to actually make their data plans reflect your actual data usage then that's another thing. But when you sell 5 gigs then say oh but we didn't think you would actually want to use those 5 gigs... well that's just flat out irresponsible on the companies part.
KanosWRX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 01:25 PM   #572
dukebound85
macrumors P6
 
dukebound85's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: 5045 feet above sea level
Quote:
Originally Posted by KanosWRX View Post
Here is the thing. If they say they offer me 5 gigs it doesn't mean they can "assume" I won't use it and therefore make it so I can't use my data how I want. Data is data, like electricity is electricity. They have no right to tell me how to use it. If they want to actually make their data plans reflect your actual data usage then that's another thing. But when you sell 5 gigs then say oh but we didn't think you would actually want to use those 5 gigs... well that's just flat out irresponsible on the companies part.
Of course they do and you agreed to it! You signed the contract where the terms of usage are clearly stated. Tethering is not included in that usage. If you want tethering, pay for their plan. If not, break your contract and don't be surprised if they cut you off or take action. You don't have a legal leg to stand on if they do come after you/cut you off.

You can use all the 5gigs you want per their terms. However, the plans are priced as such that the median usage is less than 5gigs. If they expected everyone to use 5 gigs, they would make the plans more expensive. That doesn't mean you can't use your allotted 5gigs/month in the way you signed up for. I would also bet you don't use exactly 5gigs/month every month right?

This is not a hard concept and this is not the only industry that uses assumptions in overall actual usage when creating "allotments"
dukebound85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2013, 07:42 AM   #573
George Knighton
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Send a message via AIM to George Knighton
Quote:
Originally Posted by dukebound85 View Post
[He doesn't] have a legal leg to stand on if they do come after [him]/cut [him] off.
I'm curious what you mean by "come after [him]."

I'd agree 100% that the firm would be 100% within its rights cutting him off; however, I cannot help wondering whether it's true in all States jurisdictions that consideration of a promise is required for absolute enforcement at exchequer.

I'm not asserting that. Just saying that I wonder about it.
__________________
Too many Apple products to list.
George Knighton is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:52 PM   #574
unplugme71
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzcat View Post
This should have been in the app, no one reads the readme

Funny thing is, the text inside the README file could go like this:

Upon reading the following information, please visit our web site to collect your $25.00 reward for reading this document. http://bit.ly/25prize

Less than 0.00001% would be rewarded.
unplugme71 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 13, 2013, 07:49 PM   #575
thefourthpope
macrumors 6502a
 
thefourthpope's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: DelMarVa
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrinkma View Post
So knowingly and willfully violating the terms of a contract is "A-ok" by you, but you call it a 'rude assumption' to think that you might not want to pay for the software you want to use?

Either way, remind me never to be involved in a contract that you're party to.
Nope. Knowingly and willfully violating the terms of a contract is an unfortunate by-product of that contract being adapted after the fact by ATT without giving me reasonable options to use what I pay for.
And I said it was rude to assume that I laugh at folks. I don't care enough about what you do with your iPhone or think about what I do with my iPhone to laugh at you.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by wratran View Post
free apps
Nope. Paid for.
__________________
Cool toys not listed
thefourthpope is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
'Evasi0n' Untethered Jailbreak Updated for Newer iPhones, iPads and iOS 7.x [Updated] MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 83 Dec 27, 2013 06:03 PM
iPhone: Upgrade from iOS 5.0.1 on iPhone 4S with untethered jailbreak to iOS 6.x? cashonly Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 4 Sep 26, 2013 09:27 AM
iPhone: Are there a untethered iOS 6 jailbreak for iPhone 4? php111 Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 1 Oct 2, 2012 08:05 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:12 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC