Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 18, 2013, 02:04 PM   #301
diane143
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmz View Post
You wouldn't want to. That could and would result in nightmarishly bad mistakes and directions. You'll never see route drawing in iOS unless it is "Genius Routes" or something like that, where it takes your drawn input and calculates a safe/reasonable approximation of what you were trying to do.

But I don't see much advantage anyway. When I map directions to a location and I know one or two roads I'm definitely taking, but they don't show up as part of the route, I just go my way and it automatically recalculates based on that decision.

Can't see much other efficient use of route drawing.

In some cases, I sure would want to! ie when I travel from the northeast down south, I don't want to go through NJ and Dover MD and that's where it puts me. Quicker time-wise and less grey hair to go a little further west than straight down. I would like the ability to manually map that change. If I just start driving, for all I know once I get through PA it will try to shoot me back over to NJ or something. Maps can be pretty stubborn about its route and it's kind of hard to see what it's thinking while I'm driving.

If I'm running around town or within a few towns, I would just pick my route and let it complain. Not on a longer trip, now that's risky. Maps sure can't tell what is a safe area or the fact that you may sit at a toll booth for an hour if you don't have an express pass. Safe is relative to the person doing the traveling too. I don't like cities and prefer backroads.

That's why I like to do my own tweaking. But I was brought up with AAA Triptiks so I understand how to use a map
diane143 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2013, 06:44 PM   #302
adjeff8
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
What I'd like to see on my new MacBook Pro that I will buy when Haswell and 10.9 comes out is a 4G option. I don't know why this hasn't already happened
adjeff8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2013, 10:57 PM   #303
irDigital0l
macrumors 68030
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
It would be strange for Apple not to show a developer preview before WWDC.
irDigital0l is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2013, 11:06 PM   #304
maxosx
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Southern California
It's likely to quite good.
maxosx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 04:06 AM   #305
GermanyChris
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Here
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guyy View Post
Why are people calling the future OS 11 OSX 11? X means 10 kids....
There is debate about that..

X meaning 10 it's the 10th OS yes..

X because it's Unix yes..

My take is the X is there cause it's Unix, anything *nix has to have a X. The reason is I'm a nerd and prefer the x meaning *nix, it's always been Mac OSX 10.x it makes no sense for them to say Mac OS 10 10.XX. If that were the case then just Mac OS 10.xx without the x.
GermanyChris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 13, 2013, 02:03 PM   #306
BingClawsby
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
P*ssy Galore
BingClawsby is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2013, 03:42 AM   #307
RedTomato
macrumors 68040
 
RedTomato's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: .. London ..
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanyChris View Post
There is debate about that..

X meaning 10 it's the 10th OS yes..

X because it's Unix yes..

My take is the X is there cause it's Unix, anything *nix has to have a X. The reasoon is I'm a nerd and prefer the x meaning *nix, it's always been Mac OSX 10.x it makes no sense for them to say Mac OS 10 10.XX. If that were the case then just Mac OS 10.xx without the x.
There's two different things going on.

Mountain Lion is OSX 10.8.x
In a few months we will have OSX 10.9.x, whatever it's called.

Then next year probably OSX 10.10.x

Then after that maybe OSX 10.11.x, and so on until Apple feels ready for a radical change.

At that point Apple will announce a new OS 11 - how they will format the name is up to them. I remember the old days of Apple's System 7, and OS 9.x

My personal feeling is that when unlimited/uncapped 4G mobile bandwidth becomes widespread (for fixed yearly fees?) then Apple will put mobile data chips in all their machines, laptops, even iMacs and Mac Minis and announce OS 11 - a fully cloud-integrated OS with local cache (similar to how IMAP email depends on and syncs with the cloud, but keeps a local backup for offline use)
RedTomato is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2013, 04:12 AM   #308
GermanyChris
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Here
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTomato View Post
There's two different things going on.

Mountain Lion is OSX 10.8.x
In a few months we will have OSX 10.9.x, whatever it's called.

Then next year probably OSX 10.10.x

Then after that maybe OSX 10.11.x, and so on until Apple feels ready for a radical change.

At that point Apple will announce a new OS 11 - how they will format the name is up to them. I remember the old days of Apple's System 7, and OS 9.x

My personal feeling is that when unlimited/uncapped 4G mobile bandwidth becomes widespread (for fixed yearly fees?) then Apple will put mobile data chips in all their machines, laptops, even iMacs and Mac Minis and announce OS 11 - a fully cloud-integrated OS with local cache (similar to how IMAP email depends on and syncs with the cloud, but keeps a local backup for offline use)
They weren't Unix based
GermanyChris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2013, 01:13 PM   #309
RedTomato
macrumors 68040
 
RedTomato's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: .. London ..
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanyChris View Post
They weren't Unix based
I'm no programmer but I don't see apple abandoning their *nix flavour for something else. What else is out there? ARM in its various flavours and android and ios are all chugging along fine with their unix underpinnings.

People think ios is slow to change, but I've been around a while and the pace of change in the mobile space is absolutely blistering, with hardware doubling in speed every year and new capabilities are being baked into hardware and rolled out to millions almost every year. I don't think the PC industry ever changed this rapidly.
RedTomato is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2013, 01:58 PM   #310
GermanyChris
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Here
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTomato View Post
I'm no programmer but I don't see apple abandoning their *nix flavour for something else. What else is out there? ARM in its various flavours and android and ios are all chugging along fine with their unix underpinnings.

People think ios is slow to change, but I've been around a while and the pace of change in the mobile space is absolutely blistering, with hardware doubling in speed every year and new capabilities are being baked into hardware and rolled out to millions almost every year. I don't think the PC industry ever changed this rapidly.
The older OS's pre OSX were not Unix based
GermanyChris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 07:46 AM   #311
RedTomato
macrumors 68040
 
RedTomato's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: .. London ..
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanyChris View Post
The older OS's pre OSX were not Unix based
I don't know why you keep going on about that. Anyone who mentions System 7 in 2013 is going to know it and the rest of the Mac OS series were developed inhouse & not based on Unix.

However, Jobs was very familiar with Unixes right from the start, and Apple even developed its own version, A/UX, releasing it back in 1988.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A/UX
RedTomato is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 08:46 AM   #312
GermanyChris
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Here
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTomato View Post
I don't know why you keep going on about that. Anyone who mentions System 7 in 2013 is going to know it and the rest of the Mac OS series were developed inhouse & not based on Unix.

However, Jobs was very familiar with Unixes right from the start, and Apple even developed its own version, A/UX, releasing it back in 1988.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A/UX

The point of my post initially was I think it's OSX because is Unix not because it's the 10th in the series. If it were the x because it's the 10th we'd likely not call it OSX 10.X.X i.e OS 10 10.x.x. Tradition says anything Unix or Unix like have an X. "OSX"

I wasn't debating points really just pointing out my thoughts on the matter.
GermanyChris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2013, 12:25 PM   #313
onirocdarb
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanyChris View Post
The point of my post initially was I think it's OSX because is Unix not because it's the 10th in the series. If it were the x because it's the 10th we'd likely not call it OSX 10.X.X i.e OS 10 10.x.x. Tradition says anything Unix or Unix like have an X. "OSX"

I wasn't debating points really just pointing out my thoughts on the matter.
My thoughts exactly. It seems to me that they will just go OSX 10 because since OSX is unix based it is completely different from Mac OS.
onirocdarb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2013, 07:09 PM   #314
Gallion
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by 76ShovelHead View Post
And whats wrong with Launchpad? Its a lot faster to open apps with a swipe than it is to click spotlight and search or open another finder window, click the apps sidebar link, and scroll through.
.... what? Sorry but... if that's really the only other way you see to reach Applications, you really suck at setting up your environment to work for you.

Have your Application folder pinned in the dock for any Application that you don't know by heart, which means that you don't use them often.

For everything else you know by heart, Cmd + Space + Type the start of the name of an App then press Enter. Or get Alfred which does something similar but in a fancier and more specialized way.

For anything that you use often, just keep it pinned in the Dock. This has the added benefit that the icon will always be at the same location in the dock so you will never have to search for it when switching to that App. You will know intuitively where it is and never give it a single thought. I keep the same icons pinned in the same order on my Mac and gaming PC.

And do yourself a favor, get Hyperdock. No looking for the right window ever again (which is why I hate Exposť).
Gallion is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 08:39 PM   #315
MagnusVonMagnum
macrumors 68040
 
MagnusVonMagnum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallion View Post
.... what? Sorry but... if that's really the only other way you see to reach Applications, you really suck at setting up your environment to work for you.

Have your Application folder pinned in the dock for any Application that you don't know by heart, which means that you don't use them often.

For everything else you know by heart, Cmd + Space + Type the start of the name of an App then press Enter. Or get Alfred which does something similar but in a fancier and more specialized way.

For anything that you use often, just keep it pinned in the Dock. This has the added benefit that the icon will always be at the same location in the dock so you will never have to search for it when switching to that App. You will know intuitively where it is and never give it a single thought. I keep the same icons pinned in the same order on my Mac and gaming PC.

And do yourself a favor, get Hyperdock. No looking for the right window ever again (which is why I hate Exposť).
Regardless of what I think of LaunchPad, in my opinion you utterly fail to make your argument against it. 3rd party Apps are no argument at all. This is about OSX's own features so "Alfred" is moot.

Typing part of a name is not what I'd call a good "GUI" feature and it involves many key presses and remember the App's name. This sounds like a MS-Dos type solution and is not Mac-Like at all. Busted.

The Dock has very limited space for direct Apps and so this does little to help organize things for quick access. Yes, you can pin Applications to the dock and I do both of these. However, a LARGE number of Apps is still clunky as hell this way as looking through a huge list of Apps is not "fast" at all if you cannot remember the name of the App.

I see two solutions here, one with LaunchPad and one without but BOTH involve sorting apps by FUNCTION. I used the same method on Windows and its Start Menu which becomes cluttered when you get too many programs also.

Thus, you would create sub-folders in Applications based on usage/type of program. Games would go in a Games folder, Text/Word apps in a Text folder, Video editing, Video Players, Archivers, etc. etc. (you can then also pin the sub-category folders to the dock for quick access to much shorter lists of applications)

You can do the same thing with LaunchPad and this is common on iOS devices as well. Create category folders and put the apps in their own category. Click or Swipe and its easy to find. You can even do this as an alternative to setting up sub-folders for Applications. I put Games in their own Sub-folder, but leave most other things in Applications. However, categorized Launchpad by type and moved all the icons into each folder and so I can search Applications for something alphabetically and Launchpad by function. Even with over 250 Applications, I can fit them all onto one screen in Launchpad by organizing them. Launchpad turned out to be more useful than I first thought (i.e. an unorganized mess to locate apps over several pages that don't even alphabetize; but they organize into subject folders really well).
__________________
Mac Mini Server 2012 (2.3GHz Quad i7, 8GB, 2x1TB RAID 0) ; External 12x Memorex Blu-Ray USB3, External WD 3x3TB,1x2TB HD USB3)
15" Matte MBP 2.4GHz, 4GB/500GB, NVidia 8600M GT; 3 ATV; 2 iPod Touch
MagnusVonMagnum is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2013, 10:56 PM   #316
eco7777
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy060289 View Post
looking forward to seeing what new features they will bring. Although I think computers and phones/tablets are at a point at the moment where there is little extra to add so the revolution everyone is always expecting rarely turns up. New features are always nice though.

Look forward to it
working right would be a nice feature and not this POS ML is.
eco7777 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:31 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC