Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

AppleInsider reported late last week that web traffic logs from machines claiming to run OS X 10.9 had jumped from "a few dozen" back in October into the thousands last month, suggesting that the new operating system may be close to making its first appearance. MacRumors is seeing a nearly identical trend, with a significant increase in OS X 10.9 activity since last November.

macrumors_10_9_jan13_activity-800x178.jpg
Hits on macrumors.com from systems identifying themselves as running OS X 10.9 in January 2013
Apple needs to test new platforms with a wide range of websites, and server logs can be examined to see which operating systems and browsers are in use, tipping off sites when a new OS appears. While such data can be easily faked in browsers, the trends currently being observed are consistent with past releases and previous examinations have shown OS X 10.9 hits coming from IP addresses associated with Apple.

macrumors_10_9_oct_jan_activity.jpg
Growth in hits on macrumors.com from systems identifying themselves as running OS X 10.9
Apple has recently been launching new versions of OS X on an annual basis, with OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion having launched in July of last year, a year after 10.7 Lion in July 2011. Apple released the first developer preview of OS X Mountain Lion in mid-February of last year, so it seems reasonable that the company could be looking at similar timing for OS X 10.9.

It has been rumored that OS X 10.9 will bring Siri to Macs for the first time, building on the dictation feature added to Mountain Lion. Rumors have also suggested integration with Apple's Maps, although the company has experienced significant criticisms with its maps app on iOS.

Article Link: OS X 10.9 Activity Ramping Up as Speculation on Developer Preview Release Increases

Twimfy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2011
UK
I've seen tweets from a few Dev's I follow that lead me to believe that there are a handful of people out there who already have some sort of 10.9 build.

tommy060289

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2011
looking forward to seeing what new features they will bring. Although I think computers and phones/tablets are at a point at the moment where there is little extra to add so the revolution everyone is always expecting rarely turns up. New features are always nice though.

Look forward to it:)

Tankmaze

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2012
is this going to be the "tick" version of the OS with lots of features ? hope so.

ghostlines

macrumors regular
Feb 3, 2010
Amsterdam
Hoping for more iCloud syncing features

Good to know Apple(devs) visit this site :)

Would be cool if they add some more features to iCloud. Like syncing EVERYTHING. Like if I set an alarm/timer it should be counting down on all iOS devices and on my mac(and alarm on the last used device)
Like the messages app but now for all apps that I have on all three devices.
iCloud tabs, reminders, and messages just isn't enough they need to push it to everything.

Seems very logical to me or maybe I'm lazy :eek:

JAQ

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2008
Purgatory MI
What's more interesting is that apple visits macrumours.
With Apple run on a need-to-know basis, it's the best source of info about products that are not the ones you're working on. Seriously.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to 10.9, aka...
bobcat-goldthwait.jpg

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
cool, time for some new activity from Cupertino to happen. Nothing new since november, my iMac has been well used all ready, time for something new to look forward to :)

tdtran1025

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2011
In light of the recent weird bug found in10.8.2, Apple might as well speed up 10.8.3 and release this

adildacoolset

macrumors 65816
Windows 8 already has a Maps app, so it's not too weird for OS X to have it.

It's just too weird for a computer to have a maps app.

What apple should really do is just put google maps back into iOS. If they can't donthat, then at least they should open up a web version of apple maps and something like Google Map Maker. I think that they'd hopefully be at least decent.

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
Siri for Macs?

Siri for Macs? If this rumor is true and if it's like Siri for iOS, I guess it will only work for people who purchase Macs at or after the release of 10.9.

In any case, I'm curious for what new features this may bring. I see Maps is rumored as well, but I can't imagine much use for this on a Mac when there are websites that can do the same thing, unless they add cellular or GPS to the MBA (probably not).

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
Rumors have also suggested integration with Apple's Maps,
Yep. Just what the world needs... people driving around with their 15" rMBP's perched on their dashboard.

I can see the stock price going through the roof again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.