Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Feb 6, 2013, 11:24 PM   #101
Renzatic
macrumors 604

Location: Wisdom mule sez: there are literally zero jungles in Vermont.
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenzen View Post
Please source that.

I haven't yet seen the connection to playing sports.

But I would be interested in reading that.

Thank you.
I can't seem to find it, but...

I did find this interesting little study for you to check out.

...it basically states what I said above, that games don't directly cause violent behavior in otherwise normal people, but can potentially agitate people with a predisposition to violence.

In other words, if you're not a crazed psychopath itching for your next bloodlust binge, videogames won't do a thing to make you one. If you are, they can act as a good catalyst for your next kill spree.

But you can say the same thing about violent movies, edgy books, and loud music.

In the meantime, I'll try and see if I can find that report I referenced above. It was years ago when I read it, so it'll probably take me forever to dig it up again.
Renzatic is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 08:55 AM   #102
PracticalMac
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by webbuzz View Post
Where have you heard this?
I lived in Japan.

You can buy beer, and sake, from street vending machines.

Children, young children, can buy alcohol to deliver to parents (they do not drink).

Their are drunks in Japan, but the mass transit system and capsule hotels are cheap, and Japanese seem to be more aware of getting drunk.
PracticalMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 09:15 AM   #103
Huntn
macrumors 603

The vast majority of kids and adults can play violent games and keep their game separate from their reality. However those prone to violence and/or with mental issues may be encouraged to act on their violent tendencies, whether they play a game, read a book, or see a movie. If it is a proposed solution, censorship is a steep slippery slope.

Last edited by Huntn; Feb 7, 2013 at 11:41 AM.
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 7, 2013, 02:00 PM   #104
SLC Flyfishing
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renzatic View Post
...it basically states what I said above, that games don't directly cause violent behavior in otherwise normal people, but can potentially agitate people with a predisposition to violence.

In other words, if you're not a crazed psychopath itching for your next bloodlust binge, videogames won't do a thing to make you one. If you are, they can act as a good catalyst for your next kill spree...
I don't think anyone here (myself especially) has ever argued differently.

It's funny but the same can be said about guns. Well, not the same since guns can't act as a catalyst, but sort of the same in that guns aren't a negative influence for the vast majority of people.

The only point I've tried to make is that in the natural progression of an shooting, the gun is likely the only thing that has no power to directly influence the shooter to do what he/she does. They are completely inanimate, merely a means to an end.

The same can't always be said for video-games and movies. They can both influence and inform violent behavior.
SLC Flyfishing is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues