Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Feb 4, 2013, 03:04 PM   #1
rrandyy
macrumors 6502

Best way to get birthday reminders (not using an app)

I used to use Amazon to remind me (by email) about upcoming birthdays one week ahead and on the day of the birthday. Amazon has changed their service and now there is no option to be reminded the day of.

Does anyone use a service that is reliable to do something similar? I would prefer not to have a dedicated app. Ideally, I would use calendar or email service.
rrandyy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 03:06 PM   #2
SnowLeopard2008
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to SnowLeopard2008
Reminders app?
Old Feb 4, 2013, 03:07 PM   #3
Baggio
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrandyy View Post
I used to use Amazon to remind me (by email) about upcoming birthdays one week ahead and on the day of the birthday. Amazon has changed their service and now there is no option to be reminded the day of.

Does anyone use a service that is reliable to do something similar? I would prefer not to have a dedicated app. Ideally, I would use calendar or email service.
Facebook sends me an email every Sunday for upcoming week of birthdays of my friends.

Or you can put birthdays in your contacts and it notify you in your notification center.
Baggio is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 03:13 PM   #4
SAD*FACED*CLOWN
macrumors 65816

facebook...or you can tell Siri everyone's birthday and she'll put a reminder
Old Feb 4, 2013, 03:17 PM   #5
astrorider
macrumors 6502

If you're using iCal and Contacts on a Mac, you just put the person's birthday in your Contacts. iCal has preferences like General->"Show Birthdays calandar" and Alerts->Birthdays:1 week before and "Use these default alerts only on this computer" to configure everything the way you want it. That should get the alerts to your phone I think.
astrorider is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 03:18 PM   #6
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

I find it best not to have friends so I don't need to riddle my calendar with reminders.
GoCubsGo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 03:49 PM   #7
macking104
macrumors 6502

Not using an App...

There is this invention that at one time was popular, could be found in every house (and office), and could include cute kitty photos (or fancy cars)... it was called a calendar! They can still be purchased at office supply stores, at the mall, or for a dollar at Dollar Stores. They contain little boxes that one can write notes in-- including "Joe's Bday" in the box labeled "5" on the page labelled "February"... There was another invention called the Rolodex. You might be able to find one at the Goodwill thrift shop. It contained cards that were attached to 2 little rods... the alphabetically arranged cards could be modified to include names, addresses, dates, etc using a device such as a typewriter, pen or pencil.
macking104 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 03:50 PM   #8
Interstella5555
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica. View Post
I find it best not to have friends so I don't need to riddle my calendar with reminders.
That's definitely why I'm single, I should cut out a few friends as well to save the old memory banks...
Interstella5555 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone