Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Feb 4, 2013, 03:17 PM   #1
Brounmoney
Banned

This may be the best reason I have heard for an iPhone "Math"

http://m.gizmodo.com/5981480/iphone-...iphone-be-like

I have always thought Apple should do a big screen to get the sales from Samsung's big screen phones. I know Apple just does not seem like a company set on making a bigger iPhone, and I really don't think they will. But I do think there is a market for it, and it could work. I mean we heard Steve Jobs and the rest of Apple says they would never make a small ipad, but we got it.

Do you guys think this article is on to something in saying people with bad eyes that want an iphone might be a reason for Apple to make a big iphone? I for one i have heard a lot of people say I would buy an iphone if the screen was not so small. As we have seen with the Galaxy note phones people will buy big phones. Would you guys be interested in a phone like this? I for one think the iphone is not wide enough so I would love it.
Brounmoney is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 03:22 PM   #2
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

I'll start ... the artical asks, "iPhone Math: What Would an Even Bigger iPhone Be Like?" The answer is an iPad. That is what it would be like.
GoCubsGo is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 03:52 PM   #3
Brounmoney
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica. View Post
I'll start ... the artical asks, "iPhone Math: What Would an Even Bigger iPhone Be Like?" The answer is an iPad. That is what it would be like.
You think so? I mean I am a 6 foot male that has average size hands, but it can be kind of hard to hit the right keys on the iphone. I am just thinking that maybe a bit wider would be nice make those keys a little bigger. Also I don't think you could call it an ipad it has about 3 1/2 inches to go before it even get the the ipad mini.
Brounmoney is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 04:11 PM   #4
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brounmoney View Post
You think so? ...
Yes, I do think so.
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 04:13 PM   #5
TSX
macrumors 68030

Wasnt "math" a translation error? and its really "+" meaning bigger screen.
Old Feb 4, 2013, 04:24 PM   #6
C DM
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSX View Post
Wasnt "math" a translation error? and its really "+" meaning bigger screen.
Or "Max" possibly.
C DM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 04:30 PM   #7
Brounmoney
Banned

Quote:
Yes, I do think so.
By your name I am going to assume you are a girl. I would guess also that the iphone as it is now is no problem for you. What you fail to realize is how many people that it can be a problem for, and how men like me would love to have as you an "ipad mini" for a phone. Also I like I said before the iphone has to get a lot bigger before it become even close to the ipad mini. There is not even an android phone that is that big.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by C DM View Post
Or "Max" possibly.
You guys do realize I put "math" in quotes right?
Old Feb 5, 2013, 07:14 AM   #8
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
By your name I am going to assume you are a girl. I would guess also that the iphone as it is now is no problem for you. What you fail to realize is how many people that it can be a problem for, and how men like me would love to have as you an "ipad mini" for a phone. Also I like I said before the iphone has to get a lot bigger before it become even close to the ipad mini. There is not even an android phone that is that big.

----------

You guys do realize I put "math" in quotes right?
Don't assume anything m'dear. Never.
I do not fail to realize anything, you can't ever be certain of the size of my hands because you will never have the distinct pleasure of meeting me, and I happen to know a fair amount of men who do not find the current size of the phone (iPhone 5) to be an issue. You fail to realize how incredibly one-sided your opinions are, but that is okay because it happens.
GoCubsGo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 07:21 AM   #9
Brounmoney
Banned

Quote:
Don't assume anything m'dear. Never.
I do not fail to realize anything, you can't ever be certain of the size of my hands because you will never have the distinct pleasure of meeting me, and I happen to know a fair amount of men who do not find the current size of the phone (iPhone 5) to be an issue. You fail to realize how incredibly one-sided your opinions are, but that is okay because it happens.
Ok " m' dear" the problem is I am not being one sided. I just suggest that a bigger iphone might be a good idea, and if I remember correctly you are the one who said it was called an ipad. Sure you know some men that don't have problems with the iphone but there are hundreds that do. Also people that don't have good eyes might like a big screen which big letters. My thoughts were maybe Apple is missing out on a market that is kind of forgotten.

And again I will say the iphone still has a long way to go to get the ipad in size.
Brounmoney is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 07:39 AM   #10
r2shyyou
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Ok " m' dear" the problem is I am not being one sided. I just suggest that a bigger iphone might be a good idea, and if I remember correctly you are the one who said it was called an ipad. Sure you know some men that don't have problems with the iphone but there are hundreds that do. Also people that don't have good eyes might like a big screen which big letters. My thoughts were maybe Apple is missing out on a market that is kind of forgotten.

And again I will say the iphone still has a long way to go to get the ipad in size.
I don't think Apple is "missing out" on this market if it consists only of "hundreds" of people.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 07:42 AM   #11
Brounmoney
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by r2shyyou View Post
I don't think Apple is "missing out" on this market if it consists only of "hundreds" of people.
Really?
Brounmoney is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 07:43 AM   #12
r2shyyou
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Really?
Yup.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 07:47 AM   #13
Brounmoney
Banned

Quote:
Yup.
Let let me rephrase that hundreds or thousands, millions of people that would like a bigger iphone. Like I said before look at the note 2 sales and s3s. I don't want a iphone the size of the note, but just something a bit bigger would be nice. And yes there is a market for it.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 07:47 AM   #14
RenoG
macrumors 65816

These threads always turn out the same, half will say yes I'm interested, the other will say no I am not. Its the exact same response and the exact same reasons everytime. This topic officially redundant.
RenoG is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 07:51 AM   #15
r2shyyou
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Let let me rephrase that hundreds or thousands, millions of people that would like a bigger iphone. Like I said before look at the note 2 sales and s3s. I don't want a iphone the size of the note, but just something a bit bigger would be nice. And yes there is a market for it.
"Millions" makes more sense ("thousands" is essentially the same as "hundreds") so I'll buy that that loosely defines a market and that Apple would be missing out on it if they weren't targeting it in some way. But since this thread exists, it's likely that they are, at least in some way.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 07:52 AM   #16
iNotion
macrumors regular

seriously Samsung note II is way too big for any pocket not to look weird... Plus whatever in that OS of their is awfully ugly.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 07:58 AM   #17
Brounmoney
Banned

Quote:
"Millions" makes more sense ("thousands" is essentially the same as "hundreds") so I'll buy that that loosely defines a market and that Apple would be missing out on it if they weren't targeting it in some way. But since this thread exists, it's likely that they are, at least in some way.
Why would Apple not want to tap into are market this big? I mean I again I don't think Apple will ever do it, but that does not mean it does not make good business since. Like I said I have big fingers and would like to see something like this. I am using an iphone 5 and miss type letters all the time. Again Apple said they would never make a small ipad, but we got one.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 08:06 AM   #18
r2shyyou
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Why would Apple not want to tap into are market this big? I mean I again I don't think Apple will ever do it, but that does not mean it does not make good business since. Like I said I have big fingers and would like to see something like this. I am using an iphone 5 and miss type letters all the time. Again Apple said they would never make a small ipad, but we got one.
What? I never said they wouldn't want to tap into such a market. In fact, I'm pretty sure I said the opposite, that they would, as you expressed, be missing out if they were ignoring it (i.e. I was agreeing with you).

Also, I firmly believe that Apple will make an iPhone with a larger than 4" display in the next 1-3 years specifically because of the success of such devices from competing companies.

Do I personally want such a device? I don't know. Probably not (still have a 3.5" 4S and don't feel I'm missing something) but I won't know until I hold one in my hand.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 08:16 AM   #19
Brounmoney
Banned

Quote:
What? I never said they wouldn't want to tap into such a market. In fact, I'm pretty sure I said the opposite, that they would, as you expressed, be missing out if they were ignoring it (i.e. I was agreeing with you).

Also, I firmly believe that Apple will make an iPhone with a larger than 4" display in the next 1-3 years specifically because of the success of such devices from competing companies.

Do I personally want such a device? I don't know. Probably not (still have a 3.5" 4S and don't feel I'm missing something) but I won't know until I hold one in my hand.
Ok sorry I miss read your post. Yea I think Apple would be smart to. I think they would have been smart to release the ipad mini a year or more earlier instead of waiting to be forces into a market that was already filled with small tablets.
Old Feb 5, 2013, 08:28 AM   #20
TroyBoy30
macrumors 65816

put a phone in the ipad mini and id buy it!
TroyBoy30 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 09:15 PM   #21
macMD
macrumors 6502

While I get what TC is saying that they got it right with the size for one handed use (and yet he is wrong) I also do see the benefit of larger screen devices and they do sell quite well. I think users would easily purchase a larger screened iPhone if Apple sold it and in fact would gain users who are otherwise going to Android devices like the GN2 or LG (forget the model) that looks just like the Note 2.

Why not make it, and more importantly Apple sucks when it comes to battery management and battery capacity. If you are going to make it so uses can't swap it then make it last all friggin day like Motorola does.
macMD is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2013, 10:01 PM   #22
Brounmoney
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by macMD View Post
While I get what TC is saying that they got it right with the size for one handed use (and yet he is wrong) I also do see the benefit of larger screen devices and they do sell quite well. I think users would easily purchase a larger screened iPhone if Apple sold it and in fact would gain users who are otherwise going to Android devices like the GN2 or LG (forget the model) that looks just like the Note 2.

Why not make it, and more importantly Apple sucks when it comes to battery management and battery capacity. If you are going to make it so uses can't swap it then make it last all friggin day like Motorola does.
Agreed
Old Feb 8, 2013, 10:10 PM   #23
hyteckit

Apple doesn't need a bigger phone; Apple needs a cheaper phone to capture the Asian market that can't afford a $400 phone.
hyteckit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 9, 2013, 04:55 AM   #24
clyde2801
macrumors 601

Sign my middle aged, bi-focal wearing self up for a math. I use bluetooth for most calls, and carry my 5 in a clip holster, so skinny jeans is not problem for my phone. (Okay, and the fact that I don't wear them.)

I don't see it happening, because Apple doesn't want to sell me a phablet; it wants me to purchase a phone AND a tablet.
Old Feb 9, 2013, 09:18 PM   #25
macMD
macrumors 6502

Don't forget Apple said 7" tablets were dead on arrival, and boy was Jobs wrong. They came out with a 7.85" tablet and voila they are magical again. I call BS where it stands, they got scared of lost market share and rolled out a product to get some of it back. There is no reason not to do the same with a larger screen iPhone, it won't eat the iPad mini sales, it will still fit nicely between the two.
macMD is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone